[3.8] Death’s Oath Occultist - Death Whisperer(CI) Updated regularly

"

Cane of Unravelling Might be a greaat option for 6ling a Vaal Blight with it's new % non-ailment chaos damage multiplier (Wish they had a smaller name for it like %MOAR CHAOS DOT NOT POISON)

However the above mod will be available on shaper/elder weapons as well as jewels. So I can just imagine a nice dagger with minion damage, damage on full life, non-ailment chaos damage multiplier and corrupted for % increased damage over time.

"

Personally I feel Void Beacon is better than Malediction, but only because I'm kinda meh about curses. I'll probably hate losing out on the chaos explosions but honestly I think a passive wither will more than make up for it I've been able to kill all of the guardians rather slowly. I've died a few times from casting totems at a terrible time (This should save me from myself hopefully)

However with the new patch we're almost doubling our damage, so I'm expecting most things to litterally melt and without passive explosions I might force myself to play around with Abyssal Cry.

While going Malediction would definitely make you survive a little longer, I'm not sure if we want to just survive anymore.

Some people are fine with just being a map clearing machine, I'd rather squeeze as much out of the build as possible.

It sounds slightly heretical for an Occultist build, but I'm half-wondering if a non-CI Occultist (with a tree closer to a life-based Trickster DO build) might be worth considering. A 6L Vaal Blight staff could be interesting with the new non-ailment chaos damage multiplier rolls - IIRC most of the shaper staff extra link mods don't do a lot for Blight - just Arcane Surge and ... Cast While Channeling?
"
Haasts wrote:
"

Cane of Unravelling Might be a greaat option for 6ling a Vaal Blight with it's new % non-ailment chaos damage multiplier (Wish they had a smaller name for it like %MOAR CHAOS DOT NOT POISON)

However the above mod will be available on shaper/elder weapons as well as jewels. So I can just imagine a nice dagger with minion damage, damage on full life, non-ailment chaos damage multiplier and corrupted for % increased damage over time.

"

Personally I feel Void Beacon is better than Malediction, but only because I'm kinda meh about curses. I'll probably hate losing out on the chaos explosions but honestly I think a passive wither will more than make up for it I've been able to kill all of the guardians rather slowly. I've died a few times from casting totems at a terrible time (This should save me from myself hopefully)

However with the new patch we're almost doubling our damage, so I'm expecting most things to litterally melt and without passive explosions I might force myself to play around with Abyssal Cry.

While going Malediction would definitely make you survive a little longer, I'm not sure if we want to just survive anymore.

Some people are fine with just being a map clearing machine, I'd rather squeeze as much out of the build as possible.

It sounds slightly heretical for an Occultist build, but I'm half-wondering if a non-CI Occultist (with a tree closer to a life-based Trickster DO build) might be worth considering. A 6L Vaal Blight staff could be interesting with the new non-ailment chaos damage multiplier rolls - IIRC most of the shaper staff extra link mods don't do a lot for Blight - just Arcane Surge and ... Cast While Channeling?

I wouldn't say it's entirely Heretical, certainly unspeakable unless you want a flogging.... I'm kidding.

A life based Death's oath build is entirely doable. I want to say now more than ever. The major downside of a life based build was the fact that you needed to find a lot of chaos resist, which clashed with finding elemental resist. Also the fact that life nodes are rather shy around chaos and aura nodes, it's almost like they have a crush on each other but neither will make the first move. Currently to my best knowledge Cane of Unravveling will be your best bet for a 6l for blight. +2 chaos gems chaos dmg, chaos dmg multi and a way to generate power charges, double if you get the occ ascend for it and skip out on an extra curse.

I've tinkered around with it some to make a life version, damage is just a little less (I think from losing 2 jewel slots) but you get 192% increased life (sure to go up with the right gear. almost 100% chaos resist from the tree and ascend alone so you just need to squeeze in another 30-40%

http://poeurl.com/b9P7 is the pob link feel free to tinker around with it.
Last edited by FlasherCatcher on Dec 5, 2018, 6:16:31 PM
"

I wouldn't say it's entirely Heretical, certainly unspeakable unless you want a flogging.... I'm kidding.

A life based Death's oath build is entirely doable. I want to say now more than ever. The major downside of a life based build was the fact that you needed to find a lot of chaos resist, which clashed with finding elemental resist. Also the fact that life nodes are rather shy around chaos and aura nodes, it's almost like they have a crush on each other but neither will make the first move. Currently to my best knowledge Cane of Unravveling will be your best bet for a 6l for blight. +2 chaos gems chaos dmg, chaos dmg multi and a way to generate power charges, double if you get the occ ascend for it and skip out on an extra curse.

I've tinkered around with it some to make a life version, damage is just a little less (I think from losing 2 jewel slots) but you get 192% increased life (sure to go up with the right gear. almost 100% chaos resist from the tree and ascend alone so you just need to squeeze in another 30-40%

http://poeurl.com/b9P7 is the pob link feel free to tinker around with it.

Ah, thanks for that - I'd mocked up something reasonably myself, but dropping Whispers of Doom/Hex Master to stretch to Devotion/Sovereignty's probably a better idea. Yeah, all the "free" chaos resistance makes reaching the cap very easy, especially as you'll likely roll "collateral" chaos res from using Aberrant Fossils to roll, say, chaos damage on jewels or "Nearby Enemies have -9% to Chaos Resistance" on helmets. Speaking of helmets:

"
The Void Gaze Skill granted by Eber's Unification now reduces enemy Chaos resistance by 20%, has a base Range of 39, up from 26 and now correctly scales its effect to the range. It now lasts 10 seconds (up from 2.5 Seconds), and has a cooldown of 2 Seconds (from 3 seconds). This affects all versions of the item. Eber's Unification now has 150-180% (up from 120-150%) increased Energy Shield. Existing versions can be updated to these new values with a Divine Orb.
Eber's Unification isn't a bad choice, certainly an easy choice. However I would highly recommend a Bone Helmet preferably elder for +3 minion and supports skills with level 20 minion damage. combined with nearby enemies have -9% chaos resist this will be a great slot for Animated guardian/flame golem my suggestion would of course give you 11% less reduced chaos res but would also allow you to get life (Less ES if you're going for that)from your helmet slot as well as more just running around damage and resists and such.
Speak of the devil, I randomly tuned into Waggle's stream where he was theorycrafting a life-based Occultist DO build - here's the Path of Building pastebin: https://pastebin.com/KdPAxd2i

He skips the Method to the Madness cluster below Shadow to grab Spiritual Aid - as well as the use of a Bone Helmet, he talks about combining the new ICDOT mods on Elder/Shaper weapons with the Bound Fossil minion damage mod.
Ah yeah, I suppose I did forget to grab that area of passives, now mine has more damage, health and regeneration. Also the little bit of spell damage I grab in the beginning makes leveling with blight much easier. But they do have 3 curses so there's that. Overall both should be pretty solid.
I'm really looking to run this build in Betrayal, but the whole original post seems super messy and the links don't really work. Any chance you can clean that up? Sorry if this is an unwarranted request, I really appreciate all the work you've already put into it.

Edit: For example, I can't find this build's passive skill tree anywhere. The PoEURL links are all for previous versions (even the 3.5 one), and PoB doesn't accept PoEURL links.
Last edited by conradical3 on Dec 6, 2018, 5:11:13 AM
"
conradical3 wrote:
I'm really looking to run this build in Betrayal, but the whole original post seems super messy and the links don't really work. Any chance you can clean that up? Sorry if this is an unwarranted request, I really appreciate all the work you've already put into it.

Edit: For example, I can't find this build's passive skill tree anywhere. The PoEURL links are all for previous versions (even the 3.5 one), and PoB doesn't accept PoEURL links.

Copy the link, at the bottom of pob is a button labeled import tree. Press that button, paste and win. I only have the level 100 tree refinished though.
https://puu.sh/CdjxJ/7bbc6d4c74.png

It's not allowing me to paste non-pastebin links there -- maybe my PoB version is wrong?

Edit: Nevermind, I was trying to import build and not tree. Thanks very much.
Last edited by conradical3 on Dec 6, 2018, 5:23:44 AM
"
conradical3 wrote:
https://puu.sh/CdjxJ/7bbc6d4c74.png

It's not allowing me to paste non-pastebin links there -- maybe my PoB version is wrong?

Edit: Nevermind, I was trying to import build and not tree. Thanks very much.

Happens to the best of us! I usually avoid pastebins so players can put their own gear into the slots, or create magic items that I'll never be able to afford =)

Maybe this league I'll push it to the limit though and be brave enough to pastebin my gear =D
Also it's time I go to bed, I did however spruce up the guide area with a bit of weeding. Removed some spaces, deleted some unneeded spoiler tags from when I was trying out a more minion oriented build. Still need to change several things to it but Hopefully with the new league I'll have better items to link as examples.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info