3.0.1 Patch Notes

"
Inirit wrote:
Not super impressed with the drop rate changes so far. RNG may just be out of my favor, but it seems at least a few other people are having the same experience.

Perhaps the approach to Harbinger drops needs to be reevaluated. Harbingers always dropping some loot means they probably won't ever drop really valuable loot, it needs to be smoothed out so that the average value obtained by a player in the long run is comparable to any other player as well as comparable to previous leagues. Mathematically the result is the same, the player grinds for X hours and they got Y value by the end of it, but it's just not a good feeling to collect the small bits and pieces over time. There's no anticipation of "that next big drop" right around the corner, no sudden excitement over your luck finally paying off.

Imagine a scenario like this: You're in a room with 1,000,000 identical cups neatly laid out on the floor. They're all placed upside down and underneath one of these cups is $10,000. You are allowed to walk through the room and turn over the cups to find the money, but you're only allowed to flip the cups one at a time (i.e. you're not allowed to just sweep over a ton of cups at once). You're not in a rush, but you only have 24 hours to find the money.

Turning over each empty cup gives you nothing but disappointment and if you gave up before finding the money you'd leave with nothing. But imagine how exciting it would be to turn over one more cup and there it is, all $10,000 for you to pick up at once and run away with. It might have taken some time and was a bit tedious, but now it's all yours to do what you want with. It's exciting to get so much in so little time, so exciting that you'd probably forget how much time was actually spent looking for it in the first place.

Now imagine things a little differently: You're in the same room with the same cups in the same configuration. In total, the cups are covering the same $10,000, but this time the money is spread out among the cups such that each cup is only covering a single dollar.

Logically this almost sounds the same if not better, there's still the same amount of value for you to obtain and now you have the chance to at least leave with a partial amount of money. But how exciting would each single dollar be when you find one? The first few might be fun from the surprise, but you've got to do that 9995 more times before you get the full $10,000. Suddenly it doesn't feel so exciting, the impact of obtaining the money is spread out over time. It'll still feel nice to walk away with some money, but it won't really be a thrilling experience.

That's what Harbingers feel like to me, something on paper that sounds equal but in reality just isn't as enticing. I think these kinds of things are something any loot-based game runs up against and I don't mean any ill will towards GGG, I only hope future content will benefit from any lessons learned from the current content.

you should read this manga, seems like you would like it http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Manga/GamblingEmperorLegendZero
since I have no hope for significant game design improvements in this game I am officially done with Path of Exile. done for good
"
Sarno wrote:
"
Qarl wrote:
  • Monsters slain as part of the Beachhead portal encounter now don't drop items

Hello Darkness, my old friend...
for Animate Weapon this is the end.

Because a Harbinger slowly creeping,
summoned its minions as I was slam-leaping,

And the skill gem planted in my chest,
is not the best.

Within the sound of Wraeclast...

In restless maps I walked alone,
wishing I had gone with Cyclone.

Pondering the Harbingers' strange text,
with all my gear fully MTX'd.

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of alien light;
more summoned to the fight.

And touched the sound of Wraeclast...

HAHAAHAAA epic! love it
since I have no hope for significant game design improvements in this game I am officially done with Path of Exile. done for good
"
Sarno wrote:
"
Qarl wrote:
  • Monsters slain as part of the Beachhead portal encounter now don't drop items

Hello Darkness, my old friend...
for Animate Weapon this is the end.

Because a Harbinger slowly creeping,
summoned its minions as I was slam-leaping,

And the skill gem planted in my chest,
is not the best.

Within the sound of Wraeclast...

In restless maps I walked alone,
wishing I had gone with Cyclone.

Pondering the Harbingers' strange text,
with all my gear fully MTX'd.

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of alien light;
more summoned to the fight.

And touched the sound of Wraeclast...

love it
"
Cassedys wrote:
GG on breaking all old chars and still not fixing the bandit messup. If you don't fix this Im done with the game, if Im not done already, since I didnt play the game since 3.0 for one minute (apart from checking the bandit thingy over and over).

6 new acts + console version was obviously a bit too much to handle in this short timeframe but you still went through it. Lets see if you and the game can survive these decisions. Breaking all existing chars is definetly a no-go and a good reason not to invest more time in new chars. I suggest you get your act together and do it fast.

but but but they even cobbled six acts together! sure, they did that with a lot of spit, horse semen and discount glue, but still?
Last edited by LMTR14 on Aug 18, 2017, 7:41:01 AM
"
but but but they even cobbled six acts together! sure, they did that with a lot of spit, horse semen and discount glue, but still?

but but but even the trolls here have no talent. Maybe these pitifull creatures are made with a lot of spit, horse semen and discount glue, but still?
"
"
Drimli wrote:
You f..... up the Harbingers GGG... they are even more useless and they are not harder or anything... i seriously get drops like 4 alch shards 4 alt shards and nothing more how the f... is that an improvement??? i knew you would f... up because you are always too f...... careful when you buff stuff because it would be aweful if we had a bit of fun... i so f...... regret i bought a $240 support pack because i got excited that you would fix this league but you didn't you f..... it up even more i wish i could get my money back because i don't want to pay you to support this pile of s... you call a league... fix this s... and let us have some f...... fun for f... sake.

Just because you spent 240$ doesn't mean you should be talking crap towards the game devs. Tweaking things takes more than a few tries sometimes. If you don't have the patience, you should not be spending any money on a game period if you're not prepared for disappointment when new things roll out.

On a different note, Thanks for your hard-work GGG.

good trolling there, I almost believed it for a second ;-)
"
Cassedys wrote:
"

but but but even the trolls here have no talent. Maybe these pitifull creatures are made with a lot of spit, horse semen and discount glue, but still?

please look up sarcacm man
will the 'not counted' for challenges quests bug be fixed in coming patches? Or do we have to redo the quest with new characters?
i had a couple bugs yesterday after the patch...1 was shrines in lab giving the prompt for effects but the effect itself didnt appear. 2nd was 2 harbingers on a map and BOTH dropped nothing..at all!
Very disappointing.
The drops from harbingers are nothing but multiple stacks of transmute shards and a couple alcs, no more useful shards.
Still failed to address any of the achievement bugs.

Was super hyped for the BLUE packs, but only the tiger is decent, rest is blah.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info