40 cent for a meal?

"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
"
cipher_nemo wrote:
What guilt-ridden BS is this, OP? Comparing our supporter dollars to feeding hungry kids? Go spam on bleeding heart web sites instead. Reminds me of those ASPCA sad, abused puppy commercials. -_-

I have a sick sense of humor and actually think the abused puppy commercials are funny. Like the small dog that's shaking in fear that looks in otherwise perfect health, but they're trying to speak for it by saying "Why do they beat me?", etc. Yeah.

I'm still a fairly morale human being, in-line with most societal norms, so I don't particularly like those ASPCA commercials. I can watch them just fine, but people like my wife have to fast forward or change the channel. What sickens me is that the advertiser is intentionally and purposefully trying to use you as the viewer to create an emotional response and get you to donate. That manipulation always pissed me off quite a bit. Similar to what the OP did.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Last edited by cipher_nemo on Aug 19, 2017, 12:21:09 PM
"
cipher_nemo wrote:
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
"
cipher_nemo wrote:
What guilt-ridden BS is this, OP? Comparing our supporter dollars to feeding hungry kids? Go spam on bleeding heart web sites instead. Reminds me of those ASPCA sad, abused puppy commercials. -_-

I have a sick sense of humor and actually think the abused puppy commercials are funny. Like the small dog that's shaking in fear that looks in otherwise perfect health, but they're trying to speak for it by saying "Why do they beat me?", etc. Yeah.

I'm still a fairly morale human being, in-line with most societal norms, so I don't particularly like those ASPCA commercials. I can watch them just fine, but people like my wife have to fast forward or change the channel. What sickens me is that the advertiser is intentionally and purposefully trying to use you as the viewer to create an emotional response and get you to donate. That manipulation always pissed me off quite a bit. Similar to what the OP did.

I too loathe the ASPCA commercials

its an instant channel change for me
I dont see any any key!
How can you be sure that your money is actually feeding the people you want to help? Eg. the situation in Yemen became so bad (malnutrition, cholera, etc), precisely because the region where the fighting is going on, is completely surrounded and blocaded by the Saudi "coalition" (the same Saudi that is sitting on UN's human rights commision, lol). There are sunni mercenaries in the south, a Saudi naval blocade in the west and al-Qaeda/ISIS controlled land in the east.

If these UN agencies could reliably deliver help, they would already do it, since they don't lack funding. So, maybe the children get a meal per day, maybe it's just a "feel good" scheme...
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
morbo wrote:
How can you be sure that your money is actually feeding the people you want to help? Eg. the situation in Yemen became so bad (malnutrition, cholera, etc), precisely because the region where the fighting is going on, is completely surrounded and blocaded by the Saudi "coalition" (the same Saudi that is sitting on UN's human rights commision, lol). There are sunni mercenaries in the south, a Saudi naval blocade in the west and al-Qaeda/ISIS controlled land in the east.

If these UN agencies could reliably deliver help, they would already do it, since they don't lack funding. So, maybe the children get a meal per day, maybe it's just a "feel good" scheme...

It is an app by the world food program and this is what they do:

http://www1.wfp.org/countries/yemen

The situation there is based on the rivalry between KSA (with U.S. support) and Iran. Neither side has a good reason to let children starve. No good propaganda.

Be sure ? You would have to watch them work, I guess, or check their bank accounts and transfers like with all sorts of donations.
"
morbo wrote:

Indeed. They seem legit though: https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=7696

Not the best for financial rating, but perfect ratings for accountability and transparency. Similar to American Red Cross, and slightly better in some areas too.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Last edited by cipher_nemo on Aug 20, 2017, 11:28:13 AM
X1RFZU
Not trying to be negative as the OP clearly has the best of intentions, but as an example of how this kind of stuff (especially when WFP is involved) can end up doing significantly more harm than good:

A decade or so ago here in Cambodia the WFP decided they were going to give out about $2,000,0000 worth of rice to people who are desperately poor, having what little income they can generate be sucked up by corrupt government agencies.

You get no prizes for guessing that the WFP chose those same government agencies to distribute the rice. It was later found that they repackaged it and sold it on for almost pure profit, meaning that the rich and powerful people got a bit richer and more powerful (thanks to your 40c per day) and the poor hungry people were left as poor and hungry as they were to begin with.

The moral of the story; If people are poor and hungry because someone is stealing all their shit, giving them more shit isn't going to help, it's just going to make the people who are stealing from them even stronger.

[/cynicalrant]

Edit: Adding link in case anyone doubts the story (you'll note that they said the $2mill is the bit of theft they found out about, but that it was probably also happening long before then): http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/government-2-million-rice-fraud
Last edited by MonstaMunch on Aug 21, 2017, 12:05:34 AM
50 Cent for a meal

Volunteering at Food Bank of New York, Dec 2014
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Aug 21, 2017, 12:19:32 AM
"
MonstaMunch wrote:
Not trying to be negative as the OP clearly has the best of intentions, but as an example of how this kind of stuff (especially when WFP is involved) can end up doing significantly more harm than good:

A decade or so ago here in Cambodia the WFP decided they were going to give out about $2,000,0000 worth of rice to people who are desperately poor, having what little income they can generate be sucked up by corrupt government agencies.

You get no prizes for guessing that the WFP chose those same government agencies to distribute the rice. It was later found that they repackaged it and sold it on for almost pure profit, meaning that the rich and powerful people got a bit richer and more powerful (thanks to your 40c per day) and the poor hungry people were left as poor and hungry as they were to begin with.

The moral of the story; If people are poor and hungry because someone is stealing all their shit, giving them more shit isn't going to help, it's just going to make the people who are stealing from them even stronger.

[/cynicalrant]

Edit: Adding link in case anyone doubts the story (you'll note that they said the $2mill is the bit of theft they found out about, but that it was probably also happening long before then): http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/government-2-million-rice-fraud

sounds like the moral is: dont live in Cambodia
I dont see any any key!
"
k1rage wrote:
sounds like the moral is: dont live in Cambodia

Nope, life can be great here. Giving millions of dollars in goods to corrupt officials and telling them to hand it out with zero oversight is just inexplicable.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info