And behind door number 3... Your beta key!

You are doing some serious calculations there man ;)

Currently working on the game of thrones book my self , never had much time for books sad to say.

good luck with winning the key everyone!
Alright! Well, I really appreciate everyone's patience, sharing their personal tastes with me and each other, and I think everyone had some great submissions. I had my personal favorites out of all of them, but as the original post stated, I'm not judging based on my opinions.

So, how was I judging? I'm happy to let you know! Using a combination of two of the most visible websites in the world for criticism, that is, www.metacritic.com and www.amazon.com (where those weren't applicable, I found other good review sites), I tallied up what both professionals and normal people thought of each of your submissions. Metacritic tallies by percentage, and Amazon does stars, so I just converted each star to 20%, i.e., 3 1/2 stars is 70%. Since specific songs, specific bands, or series of movies/books aren't reviewed specifically, I took the highest scoring book/movie/album from each series or band, and in cases of song, I took the score from the album the song is from, and counted that toward the final score. In the cases where the user reviews were seperate from the professional reviews, I found the average between them. Using this system, each submission got a possible total of 400 points!

Posts are coming, for tension's sake... I'm doing 3rd, 2nd, and 1st places!
Coming up in third place, a tie, with a whopping 361/400 points, between users Sludgez0r and Torst1! Incredible! What are the chances?! Congratulations, guys! Here's the breakdown...

Sludgez0r (361)
Game: Transport Tycoon (100)
Music: Alter Bridge - Blackbird (100)
Movie: Snatch (71)
Book: Gravity (90)

Torst1 (361)
Game: Grim Fandango (93)
Music Artist: Blackmill (100)
Movie: Good Will Hunting (78)
Book: Good Night Mr. Tom (90)

Whoa, well, if great choices like these ended up in third place, what's remaining for us?

Stay tuned, 2nd place is coming up!
"
GraphicsKong wrote:
Alright! Well, I really appreciate everyone's patience, sharing their personal tastes with me and each other, and I think everyone had some great submissions. I had my personal favorites out of all of them, but as the original post stated, I'm not judging based on my opinions.

So, how was I judging? I'm happy to let you know! Using a combination of two of the most visible websites in the world for criticism, that is, www.metacritic.com and www.amazon.com (where those weren't applicable, I found other good review sites), I tallied up what both professionals and normal people thought of each of your submissions. Metacritic tallies by percentage, and Amazon does stars, so I just converted each star to 20%, i.e., 3 1/2 stars is 70%. Since specific songs, specific bands, or series of movies/books aren't reviewed specifically, I took the highest scoring book/movie/album from each series or band, and in cases of song, I took the score from the album the song is from, and counted that toward the final score. In the cases where the user reviews were seperate from the professional reviews, I found the average between them. Using this system, each submission got a possible total of 400 points!

Posts are coming, for tension's sake... I'm doing 3rd, 2nd, and 1st places!

Whether or not I receive a key from this is beyond my concern now. Your dedication to something as simple* as a gaming community is commendable good sir. I have naught but to lay my hat at such a ones feet for the effort you've expended for your fellow(virtual) man. :D
edit : quote removed to appease the brave soul and his addictions ;)

I'm half disappointed this turned out to be a bit of a "who is more main stream" , but like the man said - Bravo for the effort!

Congrats to the winner ;)
Last edited by Sludgez0r on Feb 15, 2012, 8:35:27 PM
"
Sludgez0r wrote:
"

Whether or not I receive a key from this is beyond my concern now. Your dedication to something as simple* as a gaming community is commendable good sir. I have naught but to lay my hat at such a ones feet for the effort you've expended for your fellow(virtual) man. :D

This. couldn't have worded it better my self

Congrats to the winner ;)

I hate that you quoted that before I had a chance to correct my typo....
GraphicsKong has put a lot of time and effort into this. This has not been a contest like write the number i'm thinking or something similar.

He should get an MVP (Most Valuable Forum Poster).

Whoever wins, Grats.
Now, coming in second place, with an amazing 363/400 points, just 2 points better than our third place winners, is danimal1209! Let's take a look at the breakdown!

danimal1209 (363)
Game: Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (90)
Music: Mayday Parade (100)
Movie: The Departed (83)
Book: The Goosebumps series (90)

Another imposing score, but at the end of the day, only one can remain! Only one person's taste is universally acclaimed enough to top our chart! Who is it going to be? You? Her? Him?

STAY TUNED TO FIND OUT!
"
Thebas wrote:
GraphicsKong has put a lot of time and effort into this. This has not been a contest like write the number i'm thinking or something similar.

He should get an MVP (Most Valuable Forum Poster).

Whoever wins, Grats.

total agree!
Now, before we touch on the first place winner, I want everyone to understand why I chose this method in particular. While personal taste is amazing, and it's great to see someone deviate from the norm, to focus on what is massively appealing, i.e., the mainstream, is the sort of taste that a game developer would want.

Since these are based off of the quality of review, rather than the amount of reviews, sales, etc., it's not precisely 'what is more popular in the mainstream', it's more 'what is more acclaimed by those who make up the mainstream'. This is why I tried to focus on both professional and amateur reviews.

At the end of the day, no system for judging good against bad is ever going to be perfect for anyone's taste in particular, but, thankfully, I think I found a system that is as objective as possible without an even greater investment of time.

If you haven't placed, and aren't first place, once I post it, don't feel too bad. After all, here's how I stack up.

GraphicsKong (357)
Game: Super Metroid (92)
Music: Tool (80)
Movie: Seven Samurai (95)
Book: Brave New World (90)

See? I didn't place, either!

Stay tuned for first place! (After a cigarette...)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info