[Discussion] Api sniper fest vs the regular player-base

Had my first experience with the Indexer yesterday. Wanted to post 1ex ish worth helmet. Moved it to my public 5 chaos buy now tab and within 2 secs had roughly 10 messages wanting it to buy off me.

Literally in 2 secs. No way it has updated on poe.trade. Then adjusted it to 1ex and waited whole day until it got sold.
Well, I can't test it atm. But later in Legacy (roughly 2 weeks - month into the League), I was able to whisper people for GG items faster (and get them) than everyone else with "Woops". And I heard Woops faster than I was getting messages from people for my own items as well.

At the begining of the League poe.trade is always slow. Later in the League Private indexers won't provide as much advantage (if they do provide such insane advantage now of course). I don't really believe into this "It was sold 5-7 minutes before it appeared on poe.trade" stories man. Situation can be bad, but 5-7 minutes?...meh
Last edited by SunL4D2 on Aug 13, 2017, 5:31:27 AM
My experience from a seller point of view is that I sell items and even a hour afterwards i got messages to buy them off me.

If that is true poe.trade sometimes has huge delay with listings. Applied backwards as a buyer I can see how it can be severely delayed.

Than said I don't mind that much. I still got every item I wanted for my build now and it did not consume to much time. I also managed to sell plenty.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will take you down to their level and beat you trough experience."
"
Walrusky wrote:
I found the new axe forgot the name. Went to poe trade to check the price saw the first few were listed for 1c. before I could move my cursor from dropping the item into my 1c tab I got bombarded with whispers. apparently people are fake listing items to try and confuse new players to flip items. A few of the people event went ahead and tried to harass me further saying stuff like at least have the decency to reply.

It was practically impossible for a person to whisper me in that time frame I listed the item unless they were using some sort of bot. There is no more excitement finding an item for a reasonable price because before you even get a chance to whisper that person it will have been bought and relisted by the flipper

What's interesting here is that the system is not like an AH. Trying to manipulate the prices of an AH is expensive, and may or may not work since other players may or may not play with it.

Try to manipulate the prices into going lower by posting a bunch of stuff at lower than usual will have them snagged off the market so it returns to its normal price.

In the current system people can have fifteen free accounts each posting gear a one tenth of its real price, and this is important and I will bold it, and just -not- answer the queries, so their posting remains, and they do not lose the item they posted at such a cheap price!

This is huge! This is tremendous! Market flippers can safely ignore everything that regulates a market when trying to do this sort of thing! The accounts are free, the items are not lost, their postings are not removed as the items are not sold since they are not actually for sale!
Last edited by CedricDur on Aug 13, 2017, 10:04:13 AM
"
CedricDur wrote:

What's interesting here is that the system is not like an AH. Trying to manipulate the prices of an AH is expensive, and may or may not work since other players may or may not play with it.

Try to manipulate the prices into going lower by posting a bunch of stuff at lower than usual will have them snagged off the market so it returns to its normal price.

In the current system people can have fifteen free accounts each posting gear a one tenth of its real price, and this is important and I will bold it, and just -not- answer the queries, so their posting remains, and they do not lose the item they posted at such a cheap price!

This is huge! This is tremendous! Market flippers can safely ignore everything that regulates a market when trying to do this sort of thing! The accounts are free, the items are not lost, their postings are not removed as the items are not sold since they are not actually for sale!

While I don't commend this and it's clearly unethical in the real world this is a fictive market with pixel items.

Your explanation is simplistic. What doing this and making work implies is so much more:

1. They need the 10 accounts created and transferring the same unique with similar rolls maybe.

2. They need than to have the odd luck of some people actually falling for this and posting said item cheap like they are.

Here comes the other part:

3. They need a fast API so they are the first to reap the rewards of the posts and not poe.trade

4. They need to fight it over with all the others like them and the normal flipper that only use the API for an advantage.

5. They need to find the stupid enough person who sells the item when he had 50 whispers in 5 seconds of posting it. I never sell anymore if that happens. I redo my math and reprice. It's my right and I am not bound to the initial price.

To come back to my initial point, while I find it unethical and basically a trick, if after all that work they manage to get some cheap items.... well power to them. that is why they choose to do in the game and if they enjoy it ..well it does not really hurt me personally. I am smarter than that and see trough it and I enjoy the game differently.

I can tell you from experience with WOW that manipulating that AH is way easier and it would be the same here. People with incredible amounts of currency will rule it.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will take you down to their level and beat you trough experience."
"
AmBasketball wrote:

This entire post is absolute bullshit and you know it. Someone bought the item you wanted so now you're here talking out your ass because you've never been denied gratification before.

There is no armada of people out there preventing you from reaching endgame. No one would be able to gear for endgame if that were true.

"
Only way a normal player can compete is to join them.

Again, absolutely incorrect.

The number of things you're making up more or less invalidates the entire point you're trying to make.

Why do you think I'm talking about a single item. I was farming POE trade for hours, seeing common unique items be listed 1min ago, that were already sold as soon as the seller posted it I was told by them at times.
Others have been having the same experience. Poe.trade is delayed by minutes compared to direct hooks into the API.
I play the game, not poe trade farming to flip items and then be able to afford endgame gear.

Maybe you need to do some research and find out whats happening with access to API for everyone before you start mouthing off people, that and learn reading comprehension.

Even without the provided API sniping would still be a thing. People who are writing public data hacking scripts will have no problem creating their own API from the predictable format that the information is held in.
Yes, this league definitely seems to be the worst yet in this regard.

It's time to just accept that the economy is beyond repair until we get a real trade system without some people having faster access to listings than others via scripts. IMO as long as there are scripts searching API it's almost not even worth worrying about. If you actually get an item it's because the person using a script didn't want it anyway lol.
IGN - Xukai

Mirror Service - /1046531
As expected, every controversial thread goes down the same hole and loses any hope of civil discussion.

There's always going to be people happy with whatever system is in place, and people who are unhappy. For me personally, the situation where I can buy an item or trade currencies after 10 whispers (on average) is far from satisfactory. Even when I use poe.trade instant update. And the fact of the matter is those APIs even helped crash the servers (SEE ORIGINAL) on the first day of launch and made it nearly impossible for anyone to trade (except ofc the API users).

And I find the argument to get on the same level quite frankly disgusting. It's like listening to an investment banker tell you to shut up about market crashes when he has a billion dollars in his off-shore accounts. Sure, anyone can do what he does, but it doesn't mean that's what everyone should be doing. Giving an opportunity for everyone to enjoy the game is the thing to strive for, because let's be honest, this game already has enough barriers and hurdles for players.

I've always been an advocate of an in-game trading system that can't be abused as easily, but it seems the more time passes, the more difficult it becomes to get rid of all the community-built resources and we're just digging a deeper hole. However, if it's possible to turn off all this automated trading and make it somewhat human again, my 2cents says we should definitely do it.
Reality is an illusion, Exile.
The problem lays not so much with the players who snipe to get the gear for their builds, but of course in the money makers who buy regular priced items to flip them for twice or three times as much, then call it fun and how they want to play, and just shrug.

It makes sense of course. We can't just go trusting human decency. It's why we consider it normal and common for politicians to be corrupt.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info