is there any point to try building around CoC nowadays?

Hey guys,

im desperatly to try making elemental CoC work but its a terrible hard work for middle rewards : t14 maps are ok, but boss are hard dps and life pool is not easy

=> is there any chance to make this correctly work outside the shield charge discharger cospri from the 2 past leagues ?

was trying to make an icecrash coc coldspell work, but it seems pretty hard..

Last bumped on Jul 16, 2017, 11:29:10 PM
bump
anyone ?
sorry but coc is dead. Ever since they cast-rated it to only 2x per second. Nobody uses it anymore. If anything you should try CWC builds since it's slightly better and you don't need to go for all that crit.
"
sorry but coc is dead. Ever since they cast-rated it to only 2x per second. Nobody uses it anymore. If anything you should try CWC builds since it's slightly better and you don't need to go for all that crit.

thats kinda what i thought but i had to ask if i failed to think at something..
depends on what you expect out of it

if you expect t1 skill that annihilates content and your gpu by spamming shit load of spells(aka old CoC), then no you won't get that

if you expect a 'different' skill that is fairly balanced and is more for clearing than single target, shield charge coc is just fine

The old style of CoC is pretty dead and gone (and good riddance, really). The new CoC is...difficult to work with. As stated, CWC is generally held to be more reliable, though it obviously severely limits the number of applicable carrier skills.

Ice Crash CoC should be workable, but you'd have to know what you're trying to accomplish and decide if that's worth losing two Ice Crash support gem slots for. Something like Ice Crash + Vortex/Ice Nova, where you can sling three or four supports that work for both skills and try to tweak your tree, can work...but again, you have to ask yourself if Ice Crash + Vortex/Ice Nova is really doing anything that Ice Crash +2 support gems can do already.

What sort of set-up are you trying to run? Knowing more about your goal might help folks help you to get there.
My last character was a Spectral throw CoC Essence drain that tries to scale everything, attacks, spells and dot. It's was ok-ish in low reds, nice leech, good coverage and killing bosses wasn't a total nightmare because you can rack up poison.

However with the end of scaling DoT via projectile damage I expect it will be dead as a doornail in 3.0.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Suppose the real kicker for CoC would be to use some sort of gnarly single-target attack that can deal with bosses pretty easily, linked up with an AoE clearing spell that fires off the ST move, for a sort of Spellsword approach. Maybe something like Viper Strike > COC > Ethereal Knives (w/Ring of Blades), and whatever supports one can figure out for that. Brutality's out ever since Grinding Gear decided to be poopyheads and eliminate Chaos damage, otherwise that would've actually been potentially awesome. Hn.

Well, you could always pull some weirdness with Oro's Sacrifice and Elemental supports for the same sort of Spellblade approach. Nontyped Elemental scaling's a lot easier than nontyped Physical scaling. Hnn...curious now...

EDIT::

ALTERNATIVE IDEA - https://poeplanner.com/AAgAAPMACBYbAHZFfJeX-_W0OOUZjDZVS2HiJpUWv4nTcFIqC13yKwoRL-OEG8jP3fGKNj2dqmyMYqy0xcLsBbWNv1FHMHzUUnSgBqIX3AYgjX0j9k2SN9TtP-dUJP3_3g3RY0Py4UcG0NBfao_68NWVLklR7BjBxYhCgh4UsEwtF1SOPFZKnqEigX_GkyfviPk3189Jsb6KoS8RD6yYOlhVxoPb99eESFxrw23i9wFvi3rbXlAwOw3v66KjUXSO6aaZBx4OSLcw6FomiKOK7g7vetN-fXX-ugBeGY7tg4GsM5JDEwguMjIQktmGvG8jNlMQF7BKiwAAAAAA

So Cast on Crit and Cast While Channeling conflict with and nullify each other...but the same is NOT true for Cospri's Malice. Ergo, you do some funkiness combining CWC and Cospri's Malice to get to some mild degree of the stupidiculous spell spam previously attainable only with dumbass CoC or Mjolnir builds.

Do Blade Flurry > CWC > Vortex > Elemental Focus > Hypothermia as your main 5L - Vortex's Chilled Ground guarantees Chills and thus Hypothermia, meaning both Blurry and Vortex get to benefit from E.Focus and Hypo both. Find a sixth link if/when you can to nab Cold Penetration, or switch Hypo for Cold Pen and use Hypothermia as your 6L. Then stick Frostbolt with a couple of big supports in your Malice with a couple of Frozen Trail jewels (ideally with Black Hole skill effect MTX, same as Vortex, for that amazeballs Voidblade aesthetic) to improve clearing and throw some more damage out from the sword every whenever-you-crit, on a 250ms minimum timer (so four times a second, or a more realistic three times a second, roughly matching Vortex).

You'd have to practice a bit to avoid throwing Vortexes under your Frostbolts when you don't want to, and maybe the overall build would be bad because of that interaction...but otherwise you're getting maybe two thirds' typical performance out of three different damage skills. That amounts to six thirds' performance, and could be enough to be pretty effective whilst also being a wild skill-spam-everywhere Old CoC-style character.

Provided you can find enough cold scaling to make it all work. My given prototype tree is admittedly a super ragged first pass...but hey. It's an idea.
Last edited by 1453R on Jul 11, 2017, 3:32:49 PM
The only CoC set up worth using right now is vortex/ignite with all that double dipping spell damage, but that's gutted in 3.0.

Aside from that CoC offers no benefit at all over self casting that I know of.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info