[3.6] Milky's Scorching Ray Totems (updating process)

Multiple totems vs swift affliction

Its somewhat reasonable to use multipletotems as a 6th link instead of swift affliction (our weakest supportgem).

tl:dr

swift affliction comes with a heavy dex requirement and dont benefit from 2% life regen and 1% mana regen and have less skill effect duration.
The dps however is way higher especially with 4 basetotems!

lets do the math:

basedmg 100, 3 basetotems, lvl 20 gems

Swift affliction:
dmg, multiplier, totems, dps
100 x1.44 x3 = 432

multiple totems:
100 x0.79 x5 = 395
395 x 1.06 (2x 3% more dmg) = 418.7

With 3 basetotems the dps difference is not big. Can be worth it to use multiple totems for the regeneration aspect and dex requirements in that case.

basedmg 100, 4 basetotems, lvl 20 gems

Swift affliction:
100 x1.44 x4 = 576

multiple totems:
100 x0.79 x6 = 474
474 x 1.06 (2x 3% more dmg) = 502.4

The dps difference is even bigger and not worth it anymore to consider multiple totems.

However with just 2 totems (no soulmantle or ancestral bond or shieldcraft, basically leveling):

Swift affliction:
100 x1.44 x2 = 288

multiple totems:
100 x0.79 x4 = 316
474 x 1.06 (2x 3% more dmg) = 335

Its even better than elemental focus, controlled destruction or efficacy!
Its worth using the multiple totem gem in that case for scorching ray (NOT RF Totems!!)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi-NL9JevOxF-6W3n-a7o-w

My Youtube channel with builds, unique and mechanic discussions etc
Last edited by Milkyslice on Dec 6, 2018, 2:55:23 AM
The Guide is now fully 3.5 updated!

At least the stuff i can do right now like a official skilltree link or pob link with the new gems.

I will further update it in 3.5 if something new doesn't work out like planned, undiscovered useful items/crafts are available etc.

I will play this build as my leaguestarter until i can afford my second build that is in developement. Not sure if i will minmax the gear/jewels or just use what is really necassary to save currency.

the second char will be a pure meme build and i don't know of anyone killing uber elder with any version of it. And i think this meme build deserves a uber elder kill!
So far it only received buffs and a cheaper item because it got nerfed. Its still expensive with 2x necassary 6links and specific jewels roll combinations (which i will scan from day 1)

Last edited by Milkyslice on Dec 6, 2018, 4:37:05 AM
Will I be able do Grand Masters with this build? I tried searching the thread for an answer, but I didn't see anything. Thank you for this great build guide <3
Last edited by joewdye on Dec 6, 2018, 3:03:51 PM
"
joewdye wrote:
Will I be able do Grand Masters with this build? I tried searching the thread for an answer, but I didn't see anything. Thank you for this great build guide <3

Its not really suited for that for two reasons (i did it 2-3 times, but only with specific grandmasters and rips):

- chaos dmg, especially caustic arrow, tears down totems before they use their skills. There is no way to increase totems chaos resists. there are grandmaster which dont take damage because they instantly kill the totems

- lightning arrow does the same to the totems and thr player.

It can deal properly with those tanky block/regen builds especially with a frostbomb in the mix.

I just used, last time i ran it, my starforge sweeper for the runs and switched to this char for anything he couldn't kill (those near immune block/regen builds).

So... use it to kill remaining grandmasters and clear with another build ;)

Hey Milkyslice,

Nice update on the skilltree paint skillz :p I love to have more details on possible paths during. One tiny related request though: if you could put some kind of symbole (number or letter e.g.) to each color, it would colorblind people like myself to read the graph more easily :)

Keep up the good stuff, I can't wait to see what meme build you managed to come up with :D
"
ivressemb wrote:
Hey Milkyslice,

Nice update on the skilltree paint skillz :p I love to have more details on possible paths during. One tiny related request though: if you could put some kind of symbole (number or letter e.g.) to each color, it would colorblind people like myself to read the graph more easily :)

Keep up the good stuff, I can't wait to see what meme build you managed to come up with :D

Yeah i will add some symbols in the future once the leaguestart rush is over ;)

i already buy stuff for the 2nd build in advance since it requires very special jewels.

Had a late start because rl stuff, but here is my current char with lvl 57.

+1 9% totem res, fire and totemdmg jewel (all in one for 1c)

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAUCAARRBLMQWBDMES0SaRccGjgc3B0UJy8o-ioTK7YsnDD4Otg8BTwtQYdFnUlPU1JWSFnzWiteXWaeaFpqQ3F5cg98g4KbgseDzISDhTKHZYuMjEaPGo9GkFWXLZitmuCboaIApwinlLc-uJO8qrzqwGbDE8au0f3YJNi92t3kVeZ96-7vIe988B_31_iT-d356PrS_go=?accountName=Milkyslice&characterName=Crapparian

Got the great dmg boost from lvl 20 spelltotem and RF, Syndicate dudes melt in the blink of an eye already.

payed 2chaos for each kikazaru and the soulmantle. Currently using purity of elements to fix some resists, probably until act 10 kitava. after kitava i usually buy my mapping starter gear to fix resists without purity and some life (including jewels with resist and a dmg roll). i plan for 1 chaos per itemslot.

This time i found a early 5 link at lvl 38 and used scorching ray with multiple totems until i got soul mantle, was really smooth with that and better coverage than the low lvl rf has

The important setups for me are the RF and SR setups for aoe/singletarger and a 3link setup for storm brand + curse on hit at least.
Not sure if i keep enfeeble in it or use temp chains (ultimately both, but one in cwdt probably).
The rest is not important for leveling, but the active gems should be at least be socketed (golem, searing bond, decoy if used..).

Last edited by Milkyslice on Dec 9, 2018, 4:22:39 AM
bzw, doubletotemplacement of hierophant + rf totem doesnt work (this is good)

quick progress update @lvl 77.

got a cool pair of boots with aspect of the spider from some betrayel room. Nothing special besides that

The state of RF Totems

honestly with doubletotem placement from the Hierophant i see barely any reason to use rf totems. placing 2 SR totems is way better than i expected for the majority of layouts.

I mainly use rf totems for two scenarios only: tight rooms like the betrayel reserche lab and delve, especially in the darkess since the aoe helps more if surrounded by mobs.

Besides that i see myself using SR totems the majority of the time, so much that it feels clunky to use a secondary totem (besides SB, which is just there to buff dmg/regen on demand).

It was nice to have RFT until this point, but i feel like SR is doing universally a better job and i might drop RFT for some cwdt, selfcast vaal rightous fire, vortex, vaal lightning trap or similar.

Before this patch rft always felt superior for clearing and sr for bossing, but thats not the case anymore, at least in the lower maptiers.

I test around further and might update the guide accordingly if i decide to kick out RFT.

what would change?

It wouldn't change anything major about the build in general. Just remove 2 points from the aoe nodes and use some utility setup instead of RFT. There are maaaany options and even adding dmg supports to searing bond despite the multitotem support can be reasonable for those delve final rooms etc.

I also started leveling with flamedash... and cannot get away from it. a mix of quicksilver and flamedash feels good to play for me and i probably won't switch to other movementsetups.

Currently using flamedash + flame golem + combustion which grants both skills a decent ignite chance to reliable procc the combustion debuff. The negative EE effect via flamedash is instantly replaced via lightning brand anyway. Might change that later, would like that cast on skill craft on a weapon to respawn the golem ever 4-5 sec and maybe something else on top like molten shell, some chill spell etc.

tl:dr testing around a lot with skillsetups

Last edited by Milkyslice on Dec 10, 2018, 11:10:41 AM
Can you fill me in with all the areas we're getting totems. Like you said in the post we're getting 4 totems. One totem default. second totem coming from soul mantle. Third totem coming from the "hierophant" ascendant. And the last one is coming from "Pursuit of Faith". IF thats right i should have all four totems at the moment yet i only can summon three. Am i doing something wrong or am i thinking of those hole thing wrong?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info