Careful GGG...

Ok, can somebody help me understand the main underlying issue here? If several op builds are shanked (IF the changes go live as is), so what? Majority of players prefer temp leagues (I am not one of them), where everyone starts from scratch, so any balance changes cannot possibly break your build, since you don't even have a character yet. People who want to speedrunn/no brain faceroll will still have options available, numerous in fact, since it has been shown time and time again that there are many non-es builds that trivialize this game.
Or people are worried about their standard characters? But you are going to keep your legacy yellow items, so the effect of the nerf is going to be reduced. And even if you have to switch, you can just sell your legacy ES gear and make a new, flavour of the month no-brain buld (assuming you don't have currency in standard already).
So what is the problem? My personall problem is the following - such heavy handed balance changes seem unhealthy to me, and make me worry that the developers are somewhat out touch with their own game, which can be bad for a number of reasons. But if you don't care about build variety or balance in this game, and just want to feel powerful and kill stuff, well the game has you covered, always had and, it seems, will always have.
Last edited by MECHanokl on May 21, 2017, 6:51:42 PM
Social psychology indicates that nerfs will make gaming addicts stay rather than leave.
"
FCK42 wrote:
So... you want to tell me that with the removal of two repetitive playthroughs, a much needed rebalance that is nowhere near being set in stone, an upcoming xbox release and SIX more or less new acts the game is about to die?
Sounds plausible. NOT.

Too much reinventing stuff -- especially all at once -- is, in fact, one of the ways good games die.

To link it back to OP: Diablo 3 itself was a "reinvention" and look at what happened there. (Seriously. Look at it. Has a video game ever generated more rejection and hate from its former fans?)

It remains to be seen if the combined effect of all these changes is going to make an overall better game or not. I'm not as sure as you are.

Beta can't arrive too soon IMO.

Edit and just want to be crystal clear: I chose to contribute to this discussion not in protest to the specific individual changes -- which I view as basically necessary, although rather heavy-handed -- but because I think there's actually a good chance that the combined effect of changing all this stuff at once (including changes that are supposed to be positive e.g. adding new content) might be viewed as a net negative by significant numbers of ppl.
Last edited by xSTGx on May 21, 2017, 9:55:58 PM
"
vio wrote:
when 3.0 is released i'm going for the second biggest supporter pack BECAUSE they (had the guts to) nerf energy shield. and keep the game balanced that way (although a bit late for my taste).

Depending on what ultimately happens with trials/lab improvements and/or ascendancy gating, me as well.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
Hyskoa wrote:

Donating? Not.. a... penny. Ever again. I don't reward people for screwing me over.

yeah, because giving you a full game for free, updating it and expanding it for free...that's screwing you over.

I completely respect your choice not to support, but don't dress it up in a moral equation that doesn't exist.

The moral equation does exist. It's rewarding for being lied to.

Their crazy absurd lies that the continual nerf cycle (totally ineffective for game balance)
is about anything other than financial reasons.

I mean I will try to never give them more money, mainly because I think their treatment of their player base is despicable.

Of course a few people stopping support will have no effect, that is the whole point.
That is exactly what their "balance" is.
Torturo actually explains a lot of it very clearly in another thread.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
plodd wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:
yeah, because giving you a full game for free, updating it and expanding it for free...that's screwing you over.

I completely respect your choice not to support, but don't dress it up in a moral equation that doesn't exist.

The moral equation does exist. It's rewarding for being lied to.

Their crazy absurd lies that the continual nerf cycle (totally ineffective for game balance)
is about anything other than financial reasons.

I mean I will try to never give them more money, mainly because I think their treatment of their player base is despicable.

Of course a few people stopping support will have no effect, that is the whole point.
That is exactly what their "balance" is.
Torturo actually explains a lot of it very clearly in another thread.

Sorry, I should probably have quoted Hyskoa indicating I was responding to Hyskoa, because I know Hyskoa's reasoning and argument regarding support as we have discussed a lot in the past. I wasn't talking to you or about you.

Oh, wait. I did.

If you want a private conversation with somebody there are plenty of ways to do that with modern technology.

Using general discussion in a game forum isn't really the way.

I would have though you would have known that with all your wisdom, intelligence, knowledge and experience.

But on the bright side, you just learnt something new.
"
鬼殺し wrote:

But while I have your attention, do us all a favour and hide those supporter titles. They make you look like a hypocrite.

I thought you were the word guru and yet you use the word hypocrite in completely the wrong context.

Or did you mean that it males me look like a hypocrite to people that live with their heads in the sand, oblivious to the reality around them?
"
Cmoidudu wrote:
So, it seems that big changes are incoming, that might result in a strong ES nerf. Not that I do care myself, since my strongest Legacy character is life-based, however I am pretty worried about this kind of game-changing nerfs.

I have been playing Diablo III for a couple of years, then suddenly Blizzard decided to nerf the "Meta-Team". I won't explain in details what it means, it's irrelevant here, but let's say that players who were used to run very high levels of content, suddenly had to play all day long in order to gain as much XP as they were formerly gaining in 15 minutes.

Needless to say, all the "big guns" left the game, and right now the game is rank #70 on Twitch (based on the number of viewer).

But this is Blizzard, and if Diablo III is not working anymore they just don't care, they can rely on Starcraft, Earthstone or Overwatch to keep $$ flowing. Unfortunately, GGG isn't Blizzard, and as far as I know you are running only one game... so if it goes down, you go down :(

I'm pretty sure that you have already discussed that internally, but hey, I have been around since Pong, and I have witnessed the birth and the death of so many online games... I just hope that you will not join the graveyard anytime soon (since Path of Exile is such a nice game).

Stopped reading at Diablo 3
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
"
plodd wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:

But while I have your attention, do us all a favour and hide those supporter titles. They make you look like a hypocrite.

I thought you were the word guru and yet you use the word hypocrite in completely the wrong context.

Or did you mean that it males me look like a hypocrite to people that live with their heads in the sand, oblivious to the reality around them?

I think he means that it's odd advertising supporter tags on the forum when you no longer support the game.

GGG doesn't care what you've given so far. It's a tiny drop in a massive bucket. So, if you feel you're holding them at financial gunpoint, know that it's only for your own benefit.

I know, because I foolheartedly did the same. ;)
dont see hypocrite. Whats then is then. what now is now. No regrets.

Thats main reason i never buy without sampling goods so I dont have any regrets because I made purchase with info I had at time. I'm not Nostradamus.

Dont mean I wont rail. Dont mean I wont put a man on deck at all times.

Its like I love my brother but I still had to check him once in awhile when he fucked up growing up

I love POE doesnt mean its above critique.

e.g. Lab sucks, DPS too high (see projectpts fuck GGG), need difficulty setting.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on May 21, 2017, 11:51:28 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info