3.0 setting up for disappointment?

I only hoped for 2 things:

1) Revamped/Improved skill gems - I would rather have only 10 skills that are VIABLE than 20 of which 3 r viable, 4 okish and 13 useless

But I guess they won't be doing that except add few new gems that are simply better than any older ones

2) More build viability in terms of defence - It looks like it will remain same broken concept of either HP or if u have shitload of money - ES. Armor is still useless, eva is still useless, only dodge if ok...
"
Dark_Chicken wrote:
- No real end game still

Can someone tell me what a "real end game" is? What exactly is PoE supposed to have at the end that qualifies as a "real end game"? Is the game supposed to magically last forever or something? Examples from other games with a "real end game" would be appreciated.
"
Exile009 wrote:
"
Dark_Chicken wrote:
- No real end game still

Can someone tell me what a "real end game" is? What exactly is PoE supposed to have at the end that qualifies as a "real end game"? Is the game supposed to magically last forever or something? Examples from other games with a "real end game" would be appreciated.

I want to second this with some additional !!!!!!ONE!!!!!11!!!! 's.

I see your 40 challenges complete - so you are a 1%-er. You are NOT the focus of development of this, or most any other game (whether you buy into GGG balancing their game around reddit/streamer no-lifer 100 ex builds or not).

I've played this game thousands of hours - still never killed Shaper. Still haven't killed a guardian (oh, I've tried)....all primarily because I play SSF and usually make my own builds. And I remain having fun.

For people like me, and there are waaaaaaaaay more people like me than the 40 challenges-complete people, the development direction of this game is fine.

I won't say that the nerfs aren't getting a little much, and the loot system is getting infinitely thin with additional affixes being added, and most uniques being basically useless, but that is tangential to the fact I am still having fun.
of course it's going to be disappointing. can't wait for the inevitable projectile and movement skill nerf on top of all the other nerfs, it's going to be so much fun!
"
Exile009 wrote:

If you read the thread, rather than just spout your opinion:

"
Hyskoa wrote:

An endless dungeon that gets progressively harder with checkpoints with good lore implemented(no more bloody maps). An entire storyline of ages past that explains the backstory of poe and what the future might hold. With hidden dungeons at every 10 levels(kinda like vaal levels and labyrinth hidden levers combined).

One giant map that becomes craftable and can become permanently usable. Lorewise, it'd be a machine you can use currency on, with a nice interface instead of the atlas.

You start out with 3 sections(one section being half of tropical island in size) that you can use alts and transmutes on, gives you simple stuff like:
- Is a beach/other T1-T3 maps
- 10% more blue/flying/... enemies

Once you unlock the 4th section, you can start using regals. Which can give you:

- length of this section is doubled
or - 3 added exiles

Unlocking the 5th section allows you to use alchs and chaos too.
The 4th modifier can be stuff like:
- all enemies deal chaos/fire/lightning/... damage + 30% extra chaos/fire/... type enemies

The 6th section allows you to use exalted.
- Adds an extra act boss and an extra invasion boss + 30% extra quantity and +30% extra mobs on the next map if you kill both.

7th section allows you to use a mirror and vaal orbs.
- Can't change sections any more except reset to zero, but every enemy can now drop vaal fragments and has a chance to spawn vaal enemies(kind of like beyond, so if you base map has beyond, it'd be double beyond constantly, but very difficult to roll).

I'm sure there's more, but that's what I had in mind for an endgame.
Constantly rolling maps/chisels/sextants is maintenance work, it's boring. It makes the game a drag.

Vote +1 to change Path of Exile to Path of Nerfs.
We hate to say, but ProjectPT was right.
"An endless dungeon that gets progressively harder with checkpoints with good lore implemented(no more bloody maps). An entire storyline of ages past that explains the backstory of poe and what the future might hold. With hidden dungeons at every 10 levels(kinda like vaal levels and labyrinth hidden levers combined)."

Doesn't this simply describe the game we have?
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
"An endless dungeon that gets progressively harder with checkpoints with good lore implemented(no more bloody maps). An entire storyline of ages past that explains the backstory of poe and what the future might hold. With hidden dungeons at every 10 levels(kinda like vaal levels and labyrinth hidden levers combined)."

Doesn't this simply describe the game we have?

Again, read before reply:

"
Constantly rolling maps/chisels/sextants is maintenance work, it's boring. It makes the game a drag.

In the spirit of reusing existing assets, I tried to modify what was already there and turn it into something enjoyable. Rather than have a lot of pointless clutter added to it.
You roll one giant map once and can use it like you would dried lake right now. Very little time spent rolling, more time spent playing the actual game.

And the dungeon can be differentiated by having layouts similar to the difficult to navigate labyrinth/cells maps. Lower mob amount with higher xp/loot returns. Loot specific to the endless dungeon with tons of lore added. And best of all, no xp loss on death.Ggg can also add in a lot more instant death mechanics, since you don't lose anything on death. Pull the wrong lever, go into the wrong hallways, etc.

Whereas the machine would still have xp loss, but you could simply graze easy layouts like bakedchicken is doing right now. And as a currency drain, we can implement several systems. One is quite simple. Fuel for the machine. X amount of maps for X amount of currency. Or put a mirror in as fuel and it'll work permanently after you roll it.
Maybe even add in a version of Gheed for gambling items. Where you can use every type of currency depending on the itemtype to gamble on items without needing to collect the basic white item. Maybe parts of the tower/machine are corrupted/contain blight, which you need to spend currency on to get rid off before you enter. Tons of good options here, rather than get stuck rolling maps like Zizaran's b-boy.

This way you cater to both the people who like mindless xp grazing and the people like ProjectPT who like slower, more careful gameplay that requires attention to detail.

Vote +1 to change Path of Exile to Path of Nerfs.
We hate to say, but ProjectPT was right.
Last edited by Hyskoa on Jul 12, 2017, 2:31:46 PM
"
Hyskoa wrote:
"
Exile009 wrote:

If you read the thread, rather than just spout your opinion:

"
Hyskoa wrote:

An endless dungeon that gets progressively harder with checkpoints with good lore implemented(no more bloody maps). An entire storyline of ages past that explains the backstory of poe and what the future might hold. With hidden dungeons at every 10 levels(kinda like vaal levels and labyrinth hidden levers combined).

One giant map that becomes craftable and can become permanently usable. Lorewise, it'd be a machine you can use currency on, with a nice interface instead of the atlas.

You start out with 3 sections(one section being half of tropical island in size) that you can use alts and transmutes on, gives you simple stuff like:
- Is a beach/other T1-T3 maps
- 10% more blue/flying/... enemies

Once you unlock the 4th section, you can start using regals. Which can give you:

- length of this section is doubled
or - 3 added exiles

Unlocking the 5th section allows you to use alchs and chaos too.
The 4th modifier can be stuff like:
- all enemies deal chaos/fire/lightning/... damage + 30% extra chaos/fire/... type enemies

The 6th section allows you to use exalted.
- Adds an extra act boss and an extra invasion boss + 30% extra quantity and +30% extra mobs on the next map if you kill both.

7th section allows you to use a mirror and vaal orbs.
- Can't change sections any more except reset to zero, but every enemy can now drop vaal fragments and has a chance to spawn vaal enemies(kind of like beyond, so if you base map has beyond, it'd be double beyond constantly, but very difficult to roll).

I'm sure there's more, but that's what I had in mind for an endgame.

I quoted to Dark_Chicken, not you, so no point telling me to read something or the other lost amidst 12 pages of responses. But anyway, thanks for sharing your idea.

However, I'm sorry to say that it sounds pretty much like the game we've currently got, but just made worse by way of less zone variety, less mod control and highly subjective rule changes ("And best of all, no xp loss on death" wtf? What does that have to do with anything?!) but mostly you've just tacked on the word 'endless' onto a slightly reworked map system and called that an endgame. The current map system is already endless - you can run them forever. You've asked for lore as well - that's just asking them to add another campaign at the end of the main campaign. You've also added progressive zone difficulty system, which is...the most standard, boring endgame solution of all time. Literally every RPG tries the silly endless rift mechanic, including D3.

Your 'solution' doesn't seem designed to provide the magical 'ultimate endgame' that Dark_Chicken was after. It's not even trying as it seems to be geared basically to solve a different problem you have with the current system - "Constantly rolling maps/chisels/sextants is maintenance work, it's boring." You're basically just trying to remove the process of map-rolling, but otherwise seem content with running maps as we currently do...just so long as they're tied together into one big, less modifiable dungeon that eventually hits you with a difficulty wall. Funnily enough, most players already experience that since they struggle as soon as they hit red maps. The mod-ability that you don't like about maps is precisely one of the defining features about PoE's endgame that many of the rest of us do like.

Oh, and I know half your post mentions a handful of mods your model keeps, but sorry to say that you've still removed a ton of properties that we currently make use of and so the net effect is giant loss of variety, not to mention the loss of map variety itself.
Last edited by Exile009 on Jul 12, 2017, 2:54:54 PM
Easy there, Big Fella.

Sounds like you have the kernel of what sounds like a great game. A great OTHER game, because you sure aren't talking about simple modifications to existing structures no matter how you try and spin it that way.

I like it, but I also don't mind the PoE map system, and the odd tangent like Breach boss zones, Atziri, Council, etc. You have to remember an important tenet: trying to please everyone will only end up in their complete disappointment. Also known as Humans Love Misery.

look at the diverse and polarized opinions of something as simple (and tacked on) as the Labyrinth!

But I digress. I don't understand complaints of chiseling, sextants, chaos rolling maps as a basis for despite of the end game. Same goes for maintaining three leaguestones. Sure, if you are a min/max, OCD personality talking about sextant blocking, shaped shore shaping your atlas for the greatest currency income/hour, where action/second is a measurement you use to rate your success in a single player game (where the half second action of picking up a scroll is "waste"), something as prosaic as refining the next map you would like to play may be a task.

But for those people, there can be no such thing as happiness or enjoyment in a game. I've seen the argument "well maximizing my action/second is how I enjoy playing the game".....right, more like feeding your psychosis! Because optimal status is never reached.

I digressed again.

TL:DR - I like your ideas, I also like PoE as it exists today. Also, I used to suffer from terrible OCD but have recovered. For reals.
Last edited by Slaanesh69 on Jul 12, 2017, 2:55:42 PM
my expectations are fairly low anyway.
for every step I consider a good step theres two that I consider terrible.

like they nerf some offending skills...and then theres storm burst that looks like spell version of pre-nerfed blade flurry on roids ...like ...what ?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info