3.0 setting up for disappointment?

"
raics wrote:
"
JoeShmo wrote:
I think the game needs more content like Guardians / Shaper.

We could also get Maelstrom of Chaos back in some form, an endless dungeon that gets progressively harder is almost a staple in online games.

Maybe some high-yield timed events might not be bad either, or a last stand mode similar to Elreon's missions but harder and party-only. More variety couldn't hurt, we got atlas, lab, atziri, breach domains and that's about it, races are void and pvp is defunct, it's a fairly barebones endgame.

Breach is in a weird spot with me, and in the game too.

I love breaches, and farming shards for the lords, but it definitely is a super tedious grind for those ( sure you can buy..but I want to reasonably be able to farm them ). And then the problem comes with how often you can even find a breach. Until we know the fate of legacy ..which took over breach league in finding them ...that content "might" get stuck in limbo alongside all the other league specific content. And if that's the case ...that's a really great chunk of endgame-ish content that's pretty much removed.

I don't typically like timed events, as I like to be able to go at my own pace. I somewhat understand it for breaches ...and the timer is never really stressful if your build is even remotely adequate, so the timer might as well not even be there.

A "wave" system though stresses me out too much most of the time, mostly because the timing inbetween waves never works right for automated systems. You either get 3 sec between waves to panic ..or 30 sec of utter boredom. I sort of liked old school defense games that gave you a long timer between waves, or the option of sending the next wave immediately. Better compromise in my opinion but I have no idea if GGG could implement something simple like that into the game.

Generally speaking, I like crawling into an area to find a boss, or gathering materials to summon one. Probably one of the reasons I've put in at least a thousand hours into Terraria. And why metroidvania / dark souls games are so rewarding by just getting to the boss.
Is 3.0 setting up for disappointment?

Well lets see, desync has been dealt with...leaving the next major issue being how content is distributed.

Lets all be honest here, the same 3 acts have gotten a bit long in the tooth. I still will always love act 1 and 2 because they are a bit more "arcade" like where you can feel super powerful if done right.

Act 3 is so fcking long and tedious.

For those of us who have been around for a while, the only thing bringing me back in august is the fact they've chopped up the content...and hopefully more evenly distributed the cheap one shot mechanics and difficulty spikes.

Yes new skill gems, they are going to slash and burn the current stock of known fun builds...which they do...all the damn time...i get that. Thats not bad its just how POE works. Same with endgame...i hate boss fights in arpg games honestly, especially in this game....do we really need a "diablo" to kill at the end? What your character gets on a boat and heads back to civilization? everything gets fixed in the world and credits roll? fuck that.

For me the only issue remaining with POE (other than its dated look i guess) would be the whole "builds are reliant on extremely rare uniques" thing. Some of use like to self found.

Either way theyve knocked out the two major issues ive had with this game and im now excited for POE in august. I just hope they have an interesting league...remember those getting pretty meh when i last played.
just for try, for see and for know
Last edited by CapitalPunishment on Jul 14, 2017, 12:31:46 PM
"

Well lets see, desync has been dealt with...leaving the next major issue being how content is distributed.

Lets all be honest here, the same 3 acts have gotten a bit long in the tooth. I still will always love act 1 and 2 because they are a bit more "arcade" like where you can feel super powerful if done right.

For those of us who have been around for a while, the only thing bringing me back in august is the fact they've chopped up the content...and hopefully more evenly distributed the cheap one shot mechanics and difficulty spikes.

Yes new skill gems, they are going to slash and burn the current stock of known fun builds...which they do...all the damn time...i get that. Thats not bad its just how POE works. Same with endgame...i hate boss fights in arpg games honestly, especially in this game....do we really need a "diablo" to kill at the end? What your character gets on a boat and heads back to civilization? everything gets fixed in the world and credits roll? fuck that.

For me the only issue remaining with POE (other than its dated look i guess) would be the whole "builds are reliant on extremely rare uniques" thing. Some of use like to self found.

Either way theyve knocked out the two major issues ive had with this game and im now excited for POE in august. I just hope they have an interesting league...remember those getting pretty meh when i last played.

Yeah, I'm being super hopeful that them chopping 1* difficulty and "revamping" 4 acts to be "sort of different" is going to be enough for me not to want to cram totems into my eyes every time I go to level a character, like what happens currently.

I always enjoy act 1, and to a lesser extent act 4 ( to hell with kaom's area ). I don't see act 2 or 3 taking that long "time wise", but holy hell does it feel like it drags on for ages because of all the back and forth you have to do between areas. Backtracking always feels tedious, even in games that are praised for it as a genre like metroidvanias.
"
JoeShmo wrote:
"

Yeah, I'm being super hopeful that them chopping 1* difficulty and "revamping" 4 acts to be "sort of different" is going to be enough for me not to want to cram totems into my eyes every time I go to level a character, like what happens currently.

I always enjoy act 1, and to a lesser extent act 4 ( to hell with kaom's area ). I don't see act 2 or 3 taking that long "time wise", but holy hell does it feel like it drags on for ages because of all the back and forth you have to do between areas. Backtracking always feels tedious, even in games that are praised for it as a genre like metroidvanias.

Im not sure if you played beta

but the "revamped acts" feel very very different to me
I dont see any any key!
"
k1rage wrote:
but the "revamped acts" feel very very different to me

i must say i'm too pleasantly surprised how different the new beta areas feel. act 6 to 8 exceed my (pessimistic) expectations by far.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Oh look, another skill added to 3.0!

Sure as heck too few new skills.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Perq on Jul 18, 2017, 1:44:14 AM
Let's see the pros first:
1-Many new acts
2-Performance improvements
3-New skills
4-MTX QoL improvements(which is useless for me because I don't have any)

Cons:
1-No big trade revamp
2-No removal of reflect
3-No rework of projectiles
4-No removal of chicken tactics aka instant logout
5-No removal of lame one shot mechanics

I will probably play it for a week or 2 then never touch the game again, since the most important things weren't tackled.
"
poeFan2 wrote:
1-Many new acts
3-New skills

Cons:
1-No big trade revamp
2-No removal of reflect

I will probably play it for a week or 2 then never touch the game again, since the most important things weren't tackled.

From your character profile, it seems you have never played to begin with.
HAIL SATAN!
"
tramshed wrote:
"
poeFan2 wrote:
1-Many new acts
3-New skills

Cons:
1-No big trade revamp
2-No removal of reflect

Nah... looks like he got an account banned for cheating and is back for another try.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
"
tramshed wrote:
"
poeFan2 wrote:
1-Many new acts
3-New skills

Cons:
1-No big trade revamp
2-No removal of reflect

Nah... looks like he got an account banned for cheating and is back for another try.

Never cheated. My game is linked to steam, but I created this forum account before I downloaded the game so I just use it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info