How about creating more reasons not to go crit?

"
Peterlerock wrote:
Ok, for 4 points, this really wouldn't be overpowered.

But, maybe a bit off topic:
"
sofocle10000 wrote:
(5% chance for 2 seconds is nothing to write home about, but it might give an "Omph" that is worthwhile)...

Low numbers like this tend to be deceiving in PoE. With enough attack speed, "5% chance to gain x for y seconds" quickly turn into "100% uptime on x".

i.E.:

You'll rarely have no onslaught up building around that thing (it has 4 seconds, but it's also quite slow).

Maybe, but you then have to make a decision between powerful attacks that install further ailments like poison/bleed or many more dealt in a split second but less impactful.

That thing used to have it for only 2 seconds before, and even with a 4 second timer you have to "build around that thing"...

For many reliability trumps circumstantiality, but for others is the mirror way around => diversity.
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
Last edited by sofocle10000 on Apr 26, 2017, 2:20:19 AM
"
Shppy wrote:

Furthermore, Controlled Destruction should be '100% LESS chance to crit', making it unusable by crit builds (it should specifically be '100% less chance to crit', not 'cannot crit'... the former would still leave you at the minimum crit chance, 5%, so that you could use ele overload and similar mechs). It should also be 'more spell AND ATTACK damage', rather than only spell damage, making it usable by non-crit attack builds as well (which desperately need another multiplicative support).

Something like 30-50% less critical strike chance will already be enough to push it into trash tier for all crit builds, that use critical damage.

Crit is too powerful in PoE, it's too easy to stack high crit chance and high crit multiplier, crit auto-applies status effects, crit uses some strong mechanics as flask refill or cast on crit (Cospri), crit has access to 2 extra support gems, one of which is kinda powerful. On other hand, non-crit physical life melee cant even get decent support gems for his 6-link, often, just because there arent enough OK support gems to fill those slots, so he's forced to use inferior support gems with poor impact.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
"
Shppy wrote:

Furthermore, Controlled Destruction should be '100% LESS chance to crit', making it unusable by crit builds (it should specifically be '100% less chance to crit', not 'cannot crit'... the former would still leave you at the minimum crit chance, 5%, so that you could use ele overload and similar mechs). It should also be 'more spell AND ATTACK damage', rather than only spell damage, making it usable by non-crit attack builds as well (which desperately need another multiplicative support).

Something like 30-50% less critical strike chance will already be enough to push it into trash tier for all crit builds, that use critical damage.

Crit is too powerful in PoE, it's too easy to stack high crit chance and high crit multiplier, crit auto-applies status effects, crit uses some strong mechanics as flask refill or cast on crit (Cospri), crit has access to 2 extra support gems, one of which is kinda powerful. On other hand, non-crit physical life melee cant even get decent support gems for his 6-link, often, just because there arent enough OK support gems to fill those slots, so he's forced to use inferior support gems with poor impact.
Yeah flask refill is the biggest reason honestly. Its something i hope changes in 3.0 because the way flasks currently function theres zero reason to play RT and such a core survivability mechanic for life cant even be used for the builds that actually need it. Life flasks are pretty fucking dated too, i legit use two forbidden tastes now because magic flasks dont cut it where it matters.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
1. Elemental statuses shouldn't always apply on crit.

2. Reflect should be reworked so it can't be avoided, but the amount reflected should be much, much lower, this would make picking RT and items granting the effect viable, instead of suicidal.
More reasons to not go crit... Well, I suppose you'll always need to start with reducing the impact that crit has.

I.e. look at the whole "Crit = 100% Status Effect" thing. Or the ridiculousness that is crit multiplier.

Then possibly look into alternatives.

Such as Elemental Overload (Though, that still implies you actually want to land crits, you just get an alternative bonus instead of what 500% bonus damage or something stupid from multi stacking?)

I not too long ago mused about Vaal Support Gems that could be made to incentivise not investing into crit with good power from them, but with downsides that would mostly target crit.

Such as "Vaal Controlled Destruction" - Supported Skills deal 100-120% more spell and attack damage. Supported skills reflect 150% of the damage onto yourself on crit.

So, yeah, a great power increase, but with an effect that would make you want to actively not go crit.

Could do other things too, a whole host of interesting mechanics could be utilized to balance non-crit builds against crit builds using the jankiness that is associated with Vaal gems.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info