Why do empires fall?

Just because someonr is flawed doesn't mean it can't create something flawless.
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun
"
faerwin wrote:
Just because someonr is flawed doesn't mean it can't create something flawless.

wrong
"
Manocean wrote:
"
sarahaustin wrote:

What? The US may look "whole" but its very divided. Might as well break up into blue and red, Trumpmerica and Freemerica.

You get irked when threads get "invaded" by people you label as "trumpkins" but you derail your own threads... with Trump content.

👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
... because men crave power. And once they possess power they will wield it. Eventually this results in conflict, either internally or externally, and ultimately collapse is inevitable.

"Because so far nobody found a way to do it right" is one way to answer it. If people keep trying it's possible(although very unlikely) that someone might achieve success in unifying the world(or what is left of it) under one flag. Now if that "empire" will last forever, one may argue that is even more unlikely to happen, but I still think it's possible to one extent.

After watching "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", I became very open to the possibility of things that we deem impossible now becoming possible in the future(that sentence ended up weird, but I'm too lazy to try to fix it).
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"The last emperor is always the worst emperor."

I sort of like that Izarism, even if it's terribly simplified.

I'm pretty sure you're just being rhetorical here, Sarah, which makes me wonder what you actually wanted to ask and actually wanted to say. But as others have pointed out, no one need wonder for long.

But you're not going to get what you want, Sarah. Not here.

___

Most empires don't fall. They evolve. France, Britain, Japan, and oddly even the already-mentioned Roman Empire took their licks but none of them were eradicated by the end of their imperial status. Hell, Britain was technically an empire until 1996, when Hong Kong was finally reabsorbed (in name only, really) into the mainland. Japan is STILL technically an empire given it has an emperor considered to be descended from the sun goddess Amaterasu and granted a lot more power since the Meiji restoration (again, technically)...but after WW2 and the subsequent creation of a constitution, 'Imperial Japan' was a thing of the past.

The Romans, well, by the time the Visigoths arrived in 410 Rome wasn't even the capital anymore. Shit was already crazy destabilised. Christianity had completely supplanted Roman polytheism. Pretty much everything Rome had stood for in the ancient world was gone. And Rome was sacked multiple times, and yet there it is today, thriving as the capital of a modern nation. It's easy to say 'Rome fell' but really it was more of a transition.

The few major civilisations I can think of that actually fell and never got up again ironically did so *under* empires. India comes to mind. And the Mesoamerican culture.

I am under the hopeful belief right now that a certain upstart country wedged between far more enlightened nations is going to experience a similar fate before long. Napoleon's "sleeping giant" woke up a while ago but has yet to flex its muscle...we'll see. Worse fates could befall the world's most antiquated dictatorship.

OMG, this was so well written, you need to write a book! :)

Have some cookies.^^
Inundated with cockroaches, I am

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216 - labyrinth rework ideas/suggestions
Last edited by Regulator on Apr 17, 2017, 9:49:34 AM
https://twitter.com/oulosP/status/853593996865658880

I love the resilience of the Syrian people. Another empire under siege.
"
sarahaustin wrote:
Many rulers tried to conquer the world or at least a lot of countries but failed. Hitler, Caesar, Alexander and so on. Sure, we know why germany couldnt hold on to the conquered land but other empires should have remained whole.

Holding on to conquered land and remaining whole as an empire aren't always the same thing. Often conquered lands stay conquered but the empire itself splits (I'm talking about you, Merica).
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Well, I should write another at any rate.

Contrary to popular belief, cookies don't pay bills.

I don't know man Keebler seems to be doing ok.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info