Why do empires fall?

"
鬼殺し wrote:
Well, I should write another at any rate.

Contrary to popular belief, cookies don't pay bills.

Wait, you wrote one? Need to buy. Extra cookies for the author.^^
"
sarahaustin wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:

An above average read to be honest, excellent usage of words and the language in general activates the brain. The story is quite captivating and the world well made and both are well narrated. Two main negatives i see with it, as a writer he tries way too much to impress the reader with fundamentally unimpressive and uninspired acts, tales and narratives from time to time just by making use of his superb knowledge of the language which further showcases how mediocre (if not total busts) those moments are (something that often happens here in the forums too - if you read it you will understand) - in other words no matter you describe a fart its still smelly. The other one is a combination of lack of interesting side characters (very egocentric) and at times the wannabe witty/deep conversations and dreams that pose philosophical questions.

Not a light read at all, it requires attention, and if you are into fantasy stories this will probably be right for you though its something more (in a good way) that just that. An enjoyable read at least. 7/10

If i had to guess i would say that parts of it are based on real life stories experienced by the writer made into epics and transitioned into the fantasy world. I would swear the telepath (what was her name dena? dana?) is the fantasy version of a psychiatrist or psychologist
Inundated with cockroaches, I am

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216 - labyrinth rework ideas/suggestions
"
Regulator wrote:
"
sarahaustin wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:

An above average read to be honest, excellent usage of words and the language in general activates the brain. The story is quite captivating and the world well made and both are well narrated. Two main negatives i see with it, as a writer he tries way too much to impress the reader with fundamentally unimpressive and uninspired acts, tales and narratives from time to time just by making use of his superb knowledge of the language which further showcases how mediocre (if not total busts) those moments are (something that often happens here in the forums too - if you read it you will understand) - in other words no matter you describe a fart its still smelly. The other one is a combination of lack of interesting side characters (very egocentric) and at times the wannabe witty/deep conversations and dreams that pose philosophical questions.

Not a light read at all, it requires attention, and if you are into fantasy stories this will probably be right for you though its something more (in a good way) that just that. An enjoyable read at least. 7/10

If i had to guess i would say that parts of it are based on real life stories experienced by the writer made into epics and transitioned into the fantasy world. I would swear the telepath (what was her name dena? dana?) is the fantasy version of a psychiatrist or psychologist

Well, gimme a title and i buy it!
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Enough of the derailing though.

Unless geographically impossible, an empire's transition is typically one of fragmentation as well. The centre of power struggles to remain relevant as the 'colonies' start to become independent and individual (arguably again). The Roman Empire is a great example of this. Ottoman Empire as well. I mean, when we say 'empire' we tend to think of far-reaching dominions, so insular oddities like Japan aren't really all that significant here.

Should the current empire break up? I think so. In all my experiences, I've found there to be far more disunity between the so-called united states than harmony. Different laws for a start, so wildly different as to be baffling to someone actively traveling from coast to coast without flying. I think there's just too much power in a single base right now. But these are very airy-fairy thoughts. The reality is the decay and decrepitude of an empire is cancerous, and simply trying to break it up or divide it isn't going to fix much. There will be a lot more conflict before there is peace. One way or another.

I've met Texans who have dedicated their lives to believing Texas should and will secede, and I find it ironic that I always agreed with them even though they were incredibly anti-government, doomsday-prep level crazy. I get a piecemeal history lesson anytime I bring this up with the GF, who believes broadly that the Louisiana Purchase fucked things up nicely. That was, of course, long ago. Now we have an utterly terrifying war machine that would be very close to impossible to divide up, which means even if the states did become ununited, there'd be a huge, *huge* issue over who gets to keep their fingers on the buttons. And that's just a cursory, lay observation.

Basically, it's a mess and I don't believe anyone has an acceptable answer other than 'keep on truckin', USA'.

Wow, very well said. Yeah, the US is so strange with its states with some good laws and then the ones with laws that clearly discriminate. It used to be my favorite place to ever visit, now i changed that to Canada or Australia.
I thought that Australia had a very similar culture to that of the US/Canada. What's different?
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun
Some also fall due to lack of resources, natural resources like previously iron, gold and today fossil fuels are essential to staying the dominant power.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
"
Crackmonster wrote:
Some also fall due to lack of resources, natural resources like previously iron, gold and today fossil fuels are essential to staying the dominant power.

I don't think I've ever heard of an empire that fell from a lack of resources. They'd just go and pilfer their neighbors if they ever got close to that.
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
Pretty much all empires rise and fall depending on their access to natural resources - it fuels superior technology(for example when iron was the bomb, having access made it possible to have a much more efficient army), but it can also be sold for great riches which can again buy you soldiers and influence and just in general power, keep everyone happy instead of fighting for what little there is etc.

You also see the USA today securing natural resources abroad, such as oil because it is essential to their power over the world to be in control of the things which current civilization is based on.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Apr 19, 2017, 3:08:02 AM
and I read it, thanks

edit: as for the issue with Canada healthcare system (waiting line and cost). It's literally caused by the US.

Our doctors move to the US because they can make 3 times the amount of money a doctor over here do due to their system.

The result is that the ones that stay here are overworked like crazy (60+ hours a WEEK is common for many doctors). Of course, they are getting paid overtime, which makes them rakes up pretty high incomes but is a drain on our system. So the would be replacement doctors either don't go in medecine because it's a crazy job over here and a good amount of those that still go for it go to the US due to the easier life/money.

Result: worse and worse waiting times.
Last edited by faerwin on Apr 19, 2017, 3:36:30 AM
"
faerwin wrote:
edit: as for the issue with Canada healthcare system (waiting line and cost). It's literally caused by the US.

Our doctors move to the US because they can make 3 times the amount of money a doctor over here do due to their system.

I'm not sure if I understand your logic here. Your doctors aren't getting paid enough, they can make a lot more money elsewhere, so that's elsewhere's fault?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info