Is it time to devalue currency in Standard?

"
pneuma wrote:
"
ChanBalam wrote:
Doing so will give FoO a true fresh start on its economy and could jump start activity in Standard.

What has convinced you that GGG wants people to play in Standard at all?

The permanent leagues always have been and always will be dumping grounds. Permanent leagues are not the game that GGG wants to make nor is it the game that they wish people would play.

At any rate, no they're not doing this. Not because they care, but because they don't care. It would take actual effort to do something like this for Standard, and that's effort that should be going toward the temp leagues and the core game.
Well, I've only been here a few years and am still optimistic/naive about GGG and their plans. And if they truly don't care about standard, then they will not do anything to make it more playable. Oh well. I like standard and play it when I'm not playing a temp league.
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
LOL, yeah, I do often wonder if it's futile posting any kind of comment on the forums, but hey, If I really felt that way I wouldn't get out of bed in the morning.

I'll keep on playing the way I want. The game doesn't owe me anything, I don't owe GGG anything. Every so often I get bored, and go away for a month or two, then come back and see what's new. Leagues as a whole don't interest me. Legacy was interesting for a while, a good opportunity to play some of the leagues I didn't play before, but getting boring now and finding zero legacy uniques kind of bums me out. Par for the course, I know GGG wants me to trade for them, but I wouldn't touch the current "system" with a ten foot pole, would rather vendor everything for shards.

Back on the original topic. Hmmm, yeah. The currency balance seem way out of whack. When the message is that you shouldn't use currency for its actual designed purpose, i.e. crafting, but just buy your gear, I just think WTF is going on here? What it tells me is that crafting is shit, with too much RNG and too many ways to brick an item. I don't have any solutions though, and I doubt GGG will implement anything either.

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
ChanBalam wrote:
In the forums there are lots of complaints about trading and manipulation of both item prices and currency trades. part of those problems stem from the ongoing accumulation of currency in Standard. A devaluation would reset things and focus value on items. A storehouse of 6 links would probably become more valuable (relatively) than previously. If folks are not playing standard like many say, then that store of currency is just sitting and not contributing to the game.

A jump start of standard would enhance its playability.

it wouldnt jump start standard, it would destroy it. You would have an economy where everyone has stupidly strong gear and no one has any money to pay proper amounts for it. You got a stash of 6 links, awesome, now no one has any exalts left and if you want to sell one of these chests that would take 200 exalts to craft you can only get 50 chaos for it because no one has any money any more.

Your idea is completely backwards, if theres a problem with standard its not currency building up, its items building up, if you want to jump start standards economy you need to inject more currency into it or remove items, not take currency away. If you gave me 400 exalts in standard I could spend them in a single day just doing some adjustment crafting on existing items I have. You dont need to take currency away, there can never be enough currency to keep up with the sinks we have. Why dont I spend those 400ex? Because i dont have them. Why dont I trade for them? Because items are so saturated that it becomes hard to sell them.

I have thought about the huge quantity of items stockpiled in Standard that are gathering digital dust waiting for the newly rich to drop exalts to buy them. I don't disagree that it is a/the problem. But I think that the elimination of those items would, to put it mildly, cause an outcry. Currency is much easier to rebuild and more neutral. A devaluation has the chance to unsettle things sufficiently to allow change to happen.

Inflating currency with more exalt drops would be pretty cool to the "poor", but generally with inflation everyone loses in the end. Now if GGG inflated exalt drops just for the bottom third of the player base (in terms of stash currency wealth) and made it look like the RNG at work, then that would probably break some of those stored items loose and get them back into play.

I'd also like to see GG's numbers on what is sitting in stashes in Standard:
How many HH?
How many 6 links?
etc. for all the hotly desired items in addition to the top end currencies.
US Mountain Time Zone
How about us who played in standard?

How about, after each TEMPORARY league, all your items, currency and characters will just be dissolved instead of merging it to standard? After all it were all TEMPORARY!
Good Hunting Exile!
"
How about, after each TEMPORARY league, all your items, currency and characters will just be dissolved instead of merging it to standard? After all it were all TEMPORARY!

+1; you have my vote.

Hardcore Temp leaguers would go to Void on death, and Hardcore/Softcore Temp leaguers go to Void at the end of a leagues. We've already seen how this worked with stuff like Darkshrine and races and it's pretty fucking fun.

This would also give GGG a wedge to start changing/balancing things on standard separately from the leagues (and vice versa). No more 2.6 Zana mod bullshit, no more holding back on temp league rewards for fear that they'd destabilize Standard (compare Darkshrine to Talisman).

There is a huge divide in playstyle between temp league players and permanent league players -- it's the separation between playing roguelikes and playing MMOs. It would be nice if the actual game referenced this and built on it instead of giving a lukewarm response to both playstyles.

This will almost certainly not happen*. The current setup is GGG's best compromise between the two. It's a local maxima of player retention and minimal dev time and it's proven to be a winning model that is growing year over year.
Eh, call it 1000:1. After XBONE and SSF, anything is possible.
"

Or what if characters and items moved, but no currency? That way the trading in the temp league would have a finite window.
US Mountain Time Zone
"
ChanBalam wrote:
"

Or what if characters and items moved, but no currency? That way the trading in the temp league would have a finite window.

Good Idea too. But how about those people who played temporarily in league to hunt some items for their characters in Standard, honestly there are lots of option to be considered too.
Good Hunting Exile!
"
Why are you sugar coating? LOL It IS a dumping ground.

That's OK, I'm happy enough to play in a dumpster :)
"
ChanBalam wrote:
I've been thinking about Standard and how the years of accumulated currency dump may be affecting both the game and the trading markets. It has raised some questions for me.

How many Exalts and Chaos orbs are sitting in Standard?
How much of that is mostly unused, but because it exists, affecting the trading markets?
What has the impact of such accumulations had on game play?
How has the entrenched wealth affected affected currency trades and the price of Exalts:Chaos?
How does the accumulation impact item prices? Are prices high because everyone is richer?
How does this affect new players?
How does the trading market in Standard affect the Challenge leagues?

GGG, would you tell us how many (in total) of each of these are in stashes: Mirrors, Exalts, Chaos, Regals, Divines?

With the arrival of 3.0, I'm thinking that it might be a good time for GGG to go through a currency devaluation process for Standard. Doing so will give FoO a true fresh start on its economy and could jump start activity in Standard.

Here's what I've been thinking about. My conversion rates are just guesses because I don't know just how big or small the actual numbers are, and they are just a starting point for discussion. This would be done in the week prior to the start of FoO.

Replace all Chaos orbs in Standard with a new Kaos orb at a rate of .5 to 1. reducing the number of Chaos orbs by half for everyone.
Remove all Exalt orbs and replace them with Kaos orbs at an exchange rate of 30 to 1. 30 Kaos orbs for each Exalt.
The rebuilding of the Exalt quantity and market would have to take place through actual drops in game play, and over time, from new Challenge leagues.

the devaluation would allow for a reset of the trading and currency markets that takes the current game and players into consideration. Item values would be realigned and assessed by the market.

The trading and currency markets have their issues and this is one way to improve them. Now is the time!

Sorry but nothing would be changed. Only prices would be lower but value would be the same. It make no sense.
"Currency is more easy to rebuild and more neutral..." not sure what you mean by that. Remove 75 ex from my stash and I'm supposed to be ok with that, while the guy I sold my HH to for those 75ex gets to keep it scot free? This whole thread makes no sense, I'm sorry. People with good items would multiply their wealth and people with a lot of currency would go broke overnight. The whole point of standard is that it's permanent. There will eventually and unavoidably be a glut of items. Currency not so much because there are sinks. Exalts leave the economy. Items rarely do unless someone with balls of steel Vaal bricks one.

Removing currency would probably wreck standard even further. Have you SEEN the chaos exa ratio in standard? Lol. Now try and tell me there are too many exalts around. People blow hundreds on the reg trying to craft high end stuff that people don't even attempt in league.

Sorry, but this thread just triggers me a lot as a collector and someone who plays temp leagues but collects in standard. You may have good intentions (wanting to reduce prices) or bad ones (jealousy of wealthy standard players) but either way the reality is that this really makes less than no sense.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info