Ghost in the Shell... Amazing...

Charan quote
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
Bars wrote:

I haven't even seen the anime, much less read the manga, and it was still obvious the movie was a simplified adaptation for the mass consumer. Welcome to capitalism and globalization, enjoy your ride. Art has turned almost entirely into business, and we all know what sells best, don't we?

Mindless mediocrity in a shiny package.

I blame the Chinese megacorps mostly. My heart sank the moment I saw 'tencent pictures' moments before Kong began, because that's when I knew the movie wasn't being made with anything but money in mind. The editing was fucking dire; the A-list actors all phoned it in; the obligatory mainland Chinese star had a whopping 3 meaningful lines; the writing made me wince, constantly; several of the fights just didn't make any sense. But the millions upon millions of Mainlanders who'll flock to it don't care about any of that. It took a while but the Chinese mentality of 'do whatever makes money' has finally hit movie production in a worldwide sense.

And while I'm a Warcraft tragic (I saw it three times at the movies, in 3D and all), even I can recognise it was not made with anything but money in mind, and that Chris Metzen needs to hire real writers. And make money it did, despite every critic's attempt at 'killing the movie', to paraphrase Birdman. A sequel is inevitable.

Studios like Legendary are now almost Chinese-majority owned and it's starting to really show. They genuinely make traditional Hollywood look fucking brilliant.

Mercantilism and profit as the highest virtue isn't a problem with the Chinese specifically. It's the economic system we live in plus globalization. Western studios are the same and always have been. The problem is, nowadays a movie has to be either low-budget and artsy, with all the accompanying issues and limitations, or a multi-million blockbuster. And multi-million blockbusters leave the realm of art and get firmly grounded in business and economics. To convince a studio to invest double or even triple-digit millions of dollars, you need to provide a solid business plan and make it sound as safe as possible. This couldn't be art. This is where the accountants come in, and accountants are art-averse, risk-averse and pro-dollar.

The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Apr 4, 2017, 3:23:08 PM
I saw the movie yesterday. Pretty damn good. It doesnt offer anything really new in substance over the anime, but there are a few nice additions... and one godawful addition providing motivation for the major.
Spoiler
Why the fuck would wouldnt they just use volunteers?!

For live action, the world has some serious detail. Excellent production and cinematography. Very good acting. It does everything for me the original did.
Very little to complain about outside of the Majors new 'motivation' and a couple one dimensional mustache twirling minor villains.
Solid A. But as the original, it's not a masterpiece like the matrix or akira. It simply lacks substantial depth to be rewatched and thought about.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
Last edited by SkyCore on Apr 4, 2017, 3:35:45 PM
"
SkyCore wrote:
I saw the movie yesterday. Pretty damn good. It doesnt offer anything really new in substance over the anime, but there are a few nice additions... and one godawful addition providing motivation the major.
Spoiler
Why the fuck would wouldnt they just use volunteers?!

For live action, the world has some serious detail. Excellent production and cinematography. Very good acting. It does everything for me the original did.
Very little to complain about outside of the Majors new 'motivation' and a couple one dimensional mustache twirling minor villains.
Solid A. But as the original, it's not a masterpiece like the matrix or akira. It simply lacks substantial depth to be rewatched and thought about.

Who would twirl the evil moustache if they used volunteers? :)

Hell, for a program like that, they could announce a competition and have their pick from a pool of candidates! The terminal patients, the crazies, the adventurers, they would've flocked in.

I was stoned when I saw the movie, it helped me to avoid dwelling on the "finer" plot points. However, even high as fuck, the main villain was preposterous. Which probably says a lot.

I completely agree on the production values though, with a minor gripe from the slow motion sequences. This shit was old three years after the Matrix, nowadays it's yawn-inducing.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Apr 4, 2017, 3:27:30 PM
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Slow motion sequence is necessary evil in action movies. It would be yawning when played on actual time scale and the slow motion cheats that.
In fact, it isn't if you watched "real" wire actions. Though we do not really enjoy the face of Scarlett Johansson like sprint runners or skydivers in slow motion.
Stop Bombing Syria
/Flu_prevention_mode ON
Moment Joon 【Passport & Garcon】https://bit.ly/2wXiUSj
MonoNeon 【Put On Earth For You】https://bit.ly/3I22mru
Last edited by finisterre on Apr 5, 2017, 12:10:05 AM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ghost-shell-4-japanese-actresses-dissect-movie-whitewashing-twist-990956

The point is that this is an opportunity for someone of Asian descent to star in a major blockbuster, but in their mind, who wants to star a "no name Asian when we can have Johansson and bring in $$$." Like many issues in America, the problem is of a systemically oppressive environment that does not allow for room for those that are not white (and often male, but that's another can of worms). Again, representation matters.

"
Asian Americans who get 'offended' are sometimes the most perfect example of the egregious SJW stereotype, in that they take up a cause that isn't really their own. I've seen some seriously bullshit cases of Asian Americans crying 'you're appropriating our culture' when all that was really going on was Japanese kimono makers trying to sell their wares overseas to non-Japanese folk. See, the problem with 'appropriation' as an insult is it actually isn't.

Appropriation of culture *is* how culture disseminates. It's actually the very core of culture itself. We wouldn't have egg rolls if not for cultural appropriation. There wouldn't be dubbed anime. There wouldn't be Taco Bell. Or German Beer Halls in Australia serving local brews as well as actual German beer. Cultural appropriation is healthy and brilliant when it's done in a positive, respectful manner. It's not like these women trying on the kimono were pulling their eyes up at the corners and saying stupid shit like 'ching chong chinaman' or the like. They CLEARLY grasped the workmanship...and all the Japanese makers wanted to do was, surprise, make some money and bring a little awareness of the artistry of Kimono making to the world.

Instead all these moronic Asian Americans saw was a picture of white women wearing kimono and BOOM it was like 'WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING WEARING THAT!?'

That was indeed absurd, I'll agree with that.
IGN- Vyvanne | Voxxvi (Tempest League)
Vyvanne's Odds and Bods Boutique - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1311497
I just saw the new 2017 movie. It wasn't a great movie, but it was definitely an entertaining movie and the world the studio created was very beautiful.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info