Health Thread

"
morbo wrote:
"
Are you aware that fat-shaming, i.e. reminding fat people of how unhealthy their lifestyle is, actually leads to more weight gain?

Simple reminding is already fat shaming now? Jesus, the snowflake society... The better question is: does cuddling people into accepting a suicidal lifestyle lead to more weight loss?

Having a clinically obese health minister sends the wrong message: do as I say, not as I do. Public officials are handsomely paid and should strive for excellence & lead with example.

I'm against fat shaming in any form of course. I tend to take the course of positive reinforcement.

But ignoring the problem is not the answer. And I agree with Morbo, a simple reminding is not fat shaming.
"
morbo wrote:
"
Are you aware that fat-shaming, i.e. reminding fat people of how unhealthy their lifestyle is, actually leads to more weight gain?

Simple reminding is already fat shaming now? Jesus, the snowflake society... The better question is: does cuddling people into accepting a suicidal lifestyle lead to more weight loss?

The point is that there are effective ways to combat obesity. Reminding people of how fat they are is not one of them. And let's not pretend the rest of the forum doesn't exist; Manocean has made it clear what their position on actual is: they enjoy actively participating in it. He's not the only one.

"
Having a clinically obese health minister sends the wrong message: do as I say, not as I do. Public officials are handsomely paid and should strive for excellence & lead with example.

That's at least a reasonable argument against him being minister of health. Saying we have a "crisis of denial" is not.
Luna's Blackguards - a guild of bronies - is now recruiting! If you're a fan of our favourite chromatic marshmallow equines, hit me up with an add or whisper, and I'll invite you!
IGN: HopeYouAreFireProof
Of course if I just walk up to some stranger and tell him he's too fat and should do something abut it, that's kinda insulting. But if your doctor, partner, parents.. tell you that you should take your health more seriously, are you gonna start crying and dive into a cake in protest?

How is society supposed to deal with crybabies and delicate flowers that feel threatened by mere mentioning of reality? Just ignore them or indulge them?
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
morbo wrote:
Of course if I just walk up to some stranger and tell him he's too fat and should do something abut it, that's kinda insulting. But if your doctor, partner, parents.. tell you that you should take your health more seriously, are you gonna start crying and dive into a cake in protest?

How is society supposed to deal with crybabies and delicate flowers that feel threatened by mere mentioning of reality? Just ignore them or indulge them?

And this is a very important health issue we MUST do something about. My brother who is a doctor, half of his patient are obese people. They end up to the hospital because of health problems related to their obesity.
I'm always dissing commies, but they did some things right. In eastern europe communist countries sportsmanship was considered and taught as a virtue. Sport class in school was mandatory and just as serious as any other subject. There was no whining out of it. Teenagers being athletic was a norm and obesity was virtually unknown (no, not because of poverty).

The plague of obesity among western teens nowadays is the result of radical liberalism and total lax of discipline. Besides the sedentary entertainment, of course.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
I'm always dissing commies, but they did some things right. In eastern europe communist countries sportsmanship was considered and taught as a virtue. Sport class in school was mandatory and just as serious as any other subject. There was no whining out of it. Teenagers being athletic was a norm and obesity was virtually unknown (no, not because of poverty).

The plague of obesity among western teens nowadays is the result of radical liberalism and total lax of discipline. Besides the sedentary entertainment, of course.

This.

I don't diet, I eat whatever I want in whatever quantities I want and I'm about 110 lbs. I don't like the gym or sports but am lucky enough to spend half my time up north so I'm very active. People need to get outdoors and move.
"
fatkatmamma wrote:
I don't diet, I eat whatever I want in whatever quantities I want and I'm about 110 lbs. I don't like the gym or sports but am lucky enough to spend half my time up north so I'm very active. People need to get outdoors and move.

If you're already overweight exercise alone won't be enough. An overweight person isn't just battling a lack of activity but likely a metabolic issue as well which needs to be addressed through diet.
"
Everyone needs to get off of the smokes and booze too!

Everything in moderation :)

I didn't mean to strike a chord with unhealthy people who are taking out their frustrations on me by posting in this thread, take that negative energy and use it to hit the gym, because you aren't upset with me, you're actually upset with yourself and I'm an easy target. The original post in this thread is extremely benign. Please keep on topic.

----

Anyways to continue this thread on topic:

If you are underweight, eat a caloric surplus.

If you are overweight, eat a caloric deficit.

And then do some exercise, sports with friends, running, jogging, walking, lifting a few times per week.
anything is everything
Last edited by Manocean on Feb 25, 2017, 1:55:33 PM
Sorry I can't be benign about this topic. I'm going to say it like it is... If you're overweight because of some underlying issue that's out of your control you are excused. However, if your fat thumb can hit a button on a keyboard then I invite that fat thumb to point towards the button on that treadmill.

Let's skip the science, you know as we age our metabolism slows down... Yeah heard it all.

Know this every damn individual can control what enters his or her mouth there is no excuse. My favorite excuses:

"I had a child..."
"My wife left me"
"No one loves me"

I heard it all... So you can afford 50$ on a video game then you can afford an hour with a nutritionist.

My sister had a child, she complained after five years of giving birth... She barely lost the weight. "I don't have the motivation." So I showed her this video... Enjoy!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8ij3k50-C28
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Last edited by solwitch on Feb 25, 2017, 2:23:27 PM
"
solwitch wrote:
Sorry I can't be benign about this topic. I'm going to say it like it is... If you're overweight because of some underlying issue that's out of your control you are excused. However, if your fat thumb can hit a button on a keyboard then I invite that fat thumb to point towards the button on that treadmill.

Let's skip the science, you know as we age our metabolism slows down... Yeah heard it all.

Know this every damn individual can control what enters his or her mouth there is no excuse. My favorite excuses:

"I had a child..."
"My wife left me"
"No one loves me"

I heard it all... So you can afford 50$ on a video game then you can afford an hour with a nutritionist.

My sister had a child, she complained after five years of giving birth... She barely lost the weight. "I don't have the motivation." So I showed her this video... Enjoy!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8ij3k50-C28

I think you'd do well to spend a fraction of that on a few minutes asking a nutritionist or dietician what they think about this.

Again, I feel the need to reiterate this. The number of people who fail to lose substantial amounts of weight is close to 100%.
Luna's Blackguards - a guild of bronies - is now recruiting! If you're a fan of our favourite chromatic marshmallow equines, hit me up with an add or whisper, and I'll invite you!
IGN: HopeYouAreFireProof

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info