Health Thread

"
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the number of obese people unaware of the health risks thereof are similar to the number of smokers unaware of the health risks of smoking. It's everywhere. It's taught in schools, in health classes, on billboards. Everyone and their dog knows that obesity is really bad for you. Simply reminding people of that doesn't help.

Most of what you posted is true. The above part needs a slight clarification - people are often aware that being overweight is unhealthy, but they are not very aware of the details and how the details begin to add up very quickly.

Most are also unaware that a 15% drop in their weight from current overweight status will deliver a dramatic increase in their health. It isn't about dieting or trying to dramatically increase exercise, so much as it is finding a healthier lifestyle that the person can live with and still enjoy life on a regular basis. Small steps based on personal choice is the best way for long term success.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
Yeah, let's eliminate everything that's fun, and tastes good just so we can all live 5-10 years longer. Who the fuck wants to live to be 80, anyway? I'd be content if I lived to be 60.

The state wants you dead too. Preferably around the age of retirement. This way you work and pay taxes all your life, but when the government has to pay you back, they don't have to, cause you'll be dead. Thats lots of $$$ saved in pensions.

It is especially lucrative for the government if you die from some alcohol or tobacco reasons, cause it means that you've been also paying excise, so they earn even more from you.

I'm not criticizing, in fact I strongly believe in personal freedom (and personal responsibility!). I'm just putting a different spin on the question "who wants to live to 80". The government wants you dead - so fuck the gov and live to 80+ instead!
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:
"
Again, I feel the need to reiterate this. The number of people who fail to lose substantial amounts of weight is close to 100%.

This is needlessly cynical imo. I've lost a little more than 80 lbs now and have helped others I know lose weight as well. It's really quite simple to lose weight - cut carbs, increase fats and get some exercise. Add in a heavy dose of discipline and boom you're losing weight before you know it.

What's missing is that the line should be: The percentage of people who fail to lose substantial amounts of weight and keep it off is very high.

It is the latter part that most people fail at. Anecdotal evidence pales in comparison with the longitudinal studies done.

The formula is simple enough - control intake, increase exercise. The details and adherence over a long period is where things fall apart. When someone embraces change and looks at ways they can improve their lifestyle in terms of eating and exercise, then it has a much better chance of success. It isn't a matter of opinion anymore than it is an opinion that your heart pumps blood and your lungs oxygenate the blood.

The more options people have, and the more they feel like the choice is actually theirs and not foisted on them by someone else, the better the outcome.

Sometimes a little education is all it takes (such as informing people how much healthier their food will be (with meaningful details ) if they prepare it themselves, and how to budget or save money on food (paradoxically, in many places eating healthy can be more expensive than eating junk if you don't know how to keep costs down).

Other times, it takes motivation. Finding something that gets someone moving and they enjoy is going to be vastly more healthy for their whole life than doing something efficient that they dislike. Doing healthy things in a group is sometimes the key.

There is a way - it is just finding the will to do it, and then discovering which path someone wants to take. There's no rules on changing paths either, it's all up to what someone wants to do.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Feb 26, 2017, 3:51:45 AM
"
morbo wrote:
"
Again, I'd have to see decent examples of what you're talking about.

Feminist propaganda of "body positivity", "fat pride", war against "bikini ready ads" etc.. its all over the place if you want to see it.

The fact is that these feminist activists aren't able to reach basic levels of attractiveness & standards of beauty, so they try to lower the bar to their level. Here, ill let the man Gavin explain: BuzzFeed's "Plus Size Fashion" video is cruel and stupid (warning triggering language!)

Speaking of "cruel and stupid", the opening of that video. So instead of watching that, I went to look at the actual Buzzfeed article. You know what I see there? Things like this:

"It took a second for me to let go of all the straight-up bullying my adolescence were filled with, but once I did, I felt a wave of euphoria. Then I felt a bit of pain because my nipple was squeezed with half of my boob in my arm crevasse. The Bell twins are gorgeous, but that doesn’t mean that Jazz and I can’t also feel beautiful."

"I was actually shocked that the photo turned out as well as it did — I kept asking if it was photoshopped. I’ve heard so many times that my body isn’t really capable of doing ~beautiful fashion things~ that seeing myself actually do it felt like a mistake."

"Kelsey Rose: As a plus-size woman, lingerie scares the shit out of me. I have always struggled to not only find lingerie that fits me well but also feel genuinely sexy in lingerie. Growing up, when I saw lingerie ads, they always featured models that I couldn’t identify with — I’ve got big hips, thick thighs, and DDs. I’m totally OVER feeling like that, because believe it or not, I LOVE MY CURVES and it is time to show the world that curves can be sexy AF.

Not going to lie — seeing the original ad, I didn’t think I could pull it off. There’s no way to hide in this picture — it is LITERALLY a pair of underwear, a corset, a couch, and me. It was going to be Kelsey Rose — raw. When I was all glammed up and finally got on set with the couch, I felt sexy and I felt empowered. I realized that just because I didn’t have the body of the model in the image didn’t mean I was less fierce."

What we're dealing with is women who were made to feel unsexy and unattractive for their entire lives, in a society that value's a woman's attractiveness above any other quality. They have been made to feel like lesser human beings, and now, for once, they feel attractive, and happy about themselves. Is this the kind of awful "body positivity" we need to be so up in arms against? Should we be constantly hammering down on people about how fat they are, reminding them daily that them being fat is bad for them, that they are unattractive and unhealthy? Because that's the kind of shitty, dehumanizing attitude campaigns like this fight against, and I think that's a good thing. Get back to me when you find examples of people saying that fat people shouldn't lose weight, or that being obese is healthy, or shit like that.
Luna's Blackguards - a guild of bronies - is now recruiting! If you're a fan of our favourite chromatic marshmallow equines, hit me up with an add or whisper, and I'll invite you!
IGN: HopeYouAreFireProof
Last edited by Budget_player_cadet on Feb 26, 2017, 5:34:03 AM
"
What we're dealing with is women who were made to feel unsexy and unattractive for their entire lives, in a society that value's a woman's attractiveness above any other quality.

They were made to feel? They ARE unattractive and unsexy. And they will keep to be miserable no matter how much you lie to them. These women are only victims of their own stupid life choices.

Men don't want clinically obese women, who obviously have a problem with addiction and can't control themselves (most likely in other spheres of life too). It's biologically unattractive, aesthetically unattractive and socially unattractive. They shouldn't feel good about it, but rather reflect on their shitty situation and start doing something about it, while they are still young. It will only get worse with age. The human body can take a lot of beating and abuse, but eventually it gives up.

"
Is this the kind of awful "body positivity" we need to be so up in arms against? Should we be constantly hammering down on people about how fat they are, reminding them daily that them being fat is bad for them, that they are unattractive and unhealthy?

Yes, it is. It is not "body positivity", but a delusion and a lie. Being clinically obese IS un-healthy, un-attractive and you shouldn't lie to people otherwise. These women will be alone and miserable for their whole (& rather short) life, unless they do something about it. Being a fat slob is not a comfortable life, on the contrary, it's a serious handicap - but a handicap you can do something about.

Instead of trying to change the society and norms of health & beauty, you should change yourself. It is a good thing that society still somewhat values beauty, health and moderation - instead of decadence, depravity and laziness.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
morbo wrote:
"
What we're dealing with is women who were made to feel unsexy and unattractive for their entire lives, in a society that value's a woman's attractiveness above any other quality.

They were made to feel? They ARE unattractive and unsexy. And they will keep to be miserable no matter how much you lie to them. These women are only victims of their own stupid life choices.

Men don't want clinically obese women, who obviously have a problem with addiction and can't control themselves (most likely in other spheres of life too). It's biologically unattractive, aesthetically unattractive and socially unattractive. They shouldn't feel good about it, but rather reflect on their shitty situation and start doing something about it, while they are still young. It will only get worse with age. The human body can take a lot of beating and abuse, but eventually it gives up.

"
Is this the kind of awful "body positivity" we need to be so up in arms against? Should we be constantly hammering down on people about how fat they are, reminding them daily that them being fat is bad for them, that they are unattractive and unhealthy?

Yes, it is. It is not "body positivity", but a delusion and a lie. Being clinically obese IS un-healthy, un-attractive and you shouldn't lie to people otherwise. These women will be alone and miserable for their whole (& rather short) life, unless they do something about it. Being a fat slob is not a comfortable life, on the contrary, it's a serious handicap - but a handicap you can do something about.

Instead of trying to change the society and norms of health & beauty, you should change yourself. It is a good thing that society still somewhat values beauty, health and moderation - instead of decadence, depravity and laziness.

So your position is that being fat makes someone a worse human being?

Good to know.

Your personal opinion on what constitutes "attractive" is your opinion. [Removed by Support] I encourage you, the next time you're out on a date, share these opinions of yours with your girlfriend. You might find that being fat is not quite as bad as being a colossal douchebag.
Luna's Blackguards - a guild of bronies - is now recruiting! If you're a fan of our favourite chromatic marshmallow equines, hit me up with an add or whisper, and I'll invite you!
Last edited by Patrick_GGG on Feb 27, 2017, 6:42:46 AM
"

No, actually, lying to people that their horrible state of obesity "is just fine and ok", is being a bad human being. You want to be "positive" and not "judgmental" at any cost, to the point you'd help people to continue in their self-destruction?

"
Your personal opinion on what constitutes "attractive" is your opinion.

No, I'm saying what is not attractive - obesity that is. This is a general opinion. Women also do not like obese men, so this preference is not "sexist".

"
Your judgmental nature makes you kind of a cunt. I encourage you, the next time you're out on a date, share these opinions of yours with your girlfriend. You might find that being fat is not quite as bad as being a colossal douchebag.

Thanks. I always speak my mind and don't use sweet lies to make myself more accepted in society.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
morbo wrote:
"

No, actually, lying to people that their horrible state of obesity "is just fine and ok", is being a bad human being. You want to be "positive" and not "judgmental" at any cost, to the point you'd help people to continue in their self-destruction?

Not only does this kind of judgmental bullshit counterproductive, as I keep pointing out (between the two of us, only one of us is actually making life worse for fat people), but people know, thank you. Your constant reminders are not necessary nor helpful. [Removed by Support]

Last edited by Patrick_GGG on Feb 27, 2017, 6:44:25 AM
"
DalaiLama wrote:

What's missing is that the line should be: The percentage of people who fail to lose substantial amounts of weight and keep it off is very high.

The formula is simple enough - control intake, increase exercise. The details and adherence over a long period is where things fall apart.

Where I see this being true is because those people mistakenly equate losing weight to thinking they need to reduce calories. A person never needs to 'go hungry' to lose weight or limit their intake. This will invariably lead to fatigue and cravings they will give into.

Controlling intake has nothing to do with with losing weight, it's what you eat that's important not the amount.
"
Your constant reminders are not necessary nor helpful. [Removed by Support]

You are so virtuous, but still don't get it. I'm not constantly reminding anyone, just saying do not celebrate addiction and self-destructive behavior. Do not lie to people. Would you be judgmental vs a drug addict or simply try to delude him that "everything is fine", to not offend "his lifestyle"? You go girl, stick that needle in! I mean, pie.

Your side wants people to be lied to, cuddled into delusion and want them to be miserable for life, as a consequence. You aren't righteous or helpful. Judging by the sorry state of the western society, it is pretty obvious that radical liberalism only degrades society.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by Patrick_GGG on Feb 27, 2017, 6:44:43 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info