Legacy Item Distinction

"
mark1030 wrote:
Goetzjam is correct about the downtime. The reason GGG has given for having legacy items in the first place is because the downtime needed to go through and update one by one every legacy item in an ever growing database would take an extended downtime. Last I heard it was in the week range but now there are many more players and many more items so it'd probably be much longer of downtime.

You're confusing changing mechanics with changing items. They've got around this downtime limitation a few times by changing mechanics, not by changing legacy values. They just adjusted all values by a certain percentage on the chaos conversion items and leech items. That's significantly different than going back through and finding all the legacy shavs and changing the numbers on how much ES within the mod range the items have.

What you are asking for would take the downtime because there is no "legacy" tag on the legacy items that they can just make a color change on. If it were that easy, they would have just eliminated all the legacy items in the first place.

Ok then, that's a piece of information I did not have and Goetzjam sure as hell didn't convey. Well I thought that the changes they implemented were isolated to a particular batch of items, not a blanket modifier that was applied to said batch of items. Oh well then I guess GGG royally fucked themselves from the get go with how they set up their item database.

Good lord this is accretion design at it worst, just pile more shit on an ever increasing pile of nonsense. Yeah forget my idea, if they don't have unique IDs for their items that they can work with I am not going to waste my time trying to figure out a way around this. Good lord...I just, I can't, that's such bad game design...
~ I am Wreaclast middle class and proud of it!
~ Poor investment =/= entitlement to compensation.
~ Build smart, build S-mart!
It looks like they avoid making legacy items when they can nowadays. It wouldn't surprise me if sometime in the future they upgrade their database to make it feasible to update legacy items. But it would probably be just a byproduct of upgrading the database for other reasons.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
This just feels like a massive oversight on someone's part when the system first developed. I guess it shows the roots of the game. Well then I will just hope for the best in the future and for now we can all enjoy 3 different types of legacy uniques when it comes to certain items.
"
"
mark1030 wrote:
Goetzjam is correct about the downtime. The reason GGG has given for having legacy items in the first place is because the downtime needed to go through and update one by one every legacy item in an ever growing database would take an extended downtime. Last I heard it was in the week range but now there are many more players and many more items so it'd probably be much longer of downtime.

You're confusing changing mechanics with changing items. They've got around this downtime limitation a few times by changing mechanics, not by changing legacy values. They just adjusted all values by a certain percentage on the chaos conversion items and leech items. That's significantly different than going back through and finding all the legacy shavs and changing the numbers on how much ES within the mod range the items have.

What you are asking for would take the downtime because there is no "legacy" tag on the legacy items that they can just make a color change on. If it were that easy, they would have just eliminated all the legacy items in the first place.

Ok then, that's a piece of information I did not have and Goetzjam sure as hell didn't convey. Well I thought that the changes they implemented were isolated to a particular batch of items, not a blanket modifier that was applied to said batch of items. Oh well then I guess GGG royally fucked themselves from the get go with how they set up their item database.

Good lord this is accretion design at it worst, just pile more shit on an ever increasing pile of nonsense. Yeah forget my idea, if they don't have unique IDs for their items that they can work with I am not going to waste my time trying to figure out a way around this. Good lord...I just, I can't, that's such bad game design...

Well if you want to be a dick and stuff your foot down your throat I'm not going to stop you.

They liked the idea of legacy items from their MTG backgrounds in design, so to them it wasn't a massive issue.

Forget your idea because it was shit for no other reason then to make more things flashy.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
goetzjam wrote:
"
"
mark1030 wrote:

Well if you want to be a dick and stuff your foot down your throat I'm not going to stop you.

They liked the idea of legacy items from their MTG backgrounds in design, so to them it wasn't a massive issue.

Forget your idea because it was shit for no other reason then to make more things flashy.

You are still a petty cum stain that considers the pinnacle of discussion to be angrily yelling the same words at someone without actually understanding why.

Don't for a second pretend like you had any fucking thing to do with changing my mind on the subject, it took someone more knowledgeable than you to come in and civilly fill me in on the information I was missing.

Fucking degenerate...

Lastly after all of that you still think my point is to make things flashy...you are just...precious...
Last edited by Ageless_Emperion on Feb 22, 2017, 3:09:54 AM
"

You are still a petty cum stain that considers the pinnacle of discussion to be angrily yelling the same words at someone without actually understanding why.

Don't for a second pretend like you had any fucking thing to do with changing my mind on the subject, it took someone more knowledgeable than you to come in and civilly fill me in on the information I was missing.

Fucking degenerate...

Lastly after all of that you still think my point is to make things flashy...you are just...precious...

I told you there would be downtime and you pretended like you knew about the system in place. I told you there is a difference between legacy items and retroactive mod changes. I told you GGG doesn't do downtime, the only thing I didn't spell out for you is that they don't have a specific way to alter all legacy items without touching them individually, although it was heavily implied.

Both me and Mark share a similar amount of knowledge on this sort of topic as we have been around for a while, just because I wasn't the one that explained it so a 5 year old would understand, doesn't mean I didn't or don't have the knowledge, I just choose to let you look like an idiot instead.

Well I know what isn't precious, your legacy items, now that you realize they won't be shinny or different.

Lets not forget case and point here:

"
B) You are GROSSLY, I can't fucking stress this word enough, over exaggerating how much work this would take, which most of your arguments against this change seem to revolve around.

If you don't know how their system works, its best you don't argue with someone that gives you all of the context clues possible that it requires significant downtime.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
Last edited by goetzjam on Feb 22, 2017, 9:55:28 AM
"
goetzjam wrote:
"

Fucking degenerate...

I told you there would be downtime and you pretended like you knew about the system in place. I told you there is a difference between legacy items and retroactive mod changes. I told you GGG doesn't do downtime, the only thing I didn't spell out for you is that they don't have a specific way to alter all legacy items without touching them individually, although it was heavily implied.

Both me and Mark share a similar amount of knowledge on this sort of topic as we have been around for a while, just because I wasn't the one that explained it so a 5 year old would understand, doesn't mean I didn't or don't have the knowledge, I just choose to let you look like an idiot instead.

Well I know what isn't precious, your legacy items, now that you realize they won't be shinny or different.

Lets not forget case and point here:

"
B) You are GROSSLY, I can't fucking stress this word enough, over exaggerating how much work this would take, which most of your arguments against this change seem to revolve around.

If you don't know how their system works, its best you don't argue with someone that gives you all of the context clues possible that it requires significant downtime.

You have gone so far up your own ass on this discussion its simply an amazing sight, you have literally NO FUCKING CLUE about what you are talking about. Or game design / update implementation. I don't believe what either of you said for a fucking moment because I have experience digging around in the guts of other games and have a fucking clue about how developers handle updating content. What I realized is that the game has been poorly written from the start and its not worth my time to think of a work around for people comfortable making a mess and living in it rather than putting in effort once and establishing a proper fucking file structure like most competent developers have for their game. So you know when you want to fucking change a color of an item you don't quote down times of two weeks. Which is also total bullshit since it can be worked on and pushed out as part of a major update, you know like LEGACY LEAGUE...

But you know, keep yelling DOWNTIME and AM SMURT TAKE MEH SIROUSLAH! at me since you have no actual points of conversation to use outside of that.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info