Legacy Item Distinction

"
goetzjam wrote:
"

Cool, what do you have in mind?

Because I don't take "there has to be a better way" as a valid point of conversation.

Also a side note, yes, its clearly possible.

IDK this issue doesn't really concern me enough to burn brain power on it, only that I don't think its a good idea to take anything that is being done for legacy league items and copy them over to regular legacy items, defeats the purpose of making them different looking at all in that case.

You have no idea if its feasable for them to retroactively change stuff like that. Previously and the whole reason why legacy items are a thing in the first place, is because they don't want to have to manually fix or change every single item, which IMO would be what is required if they wanted to add something special to legacy stuff.

Furthermore, GGG has indicated that sort of thing requires downtime you've been around long enough to know GGG doesn't do downtime...

Well for one, if this issue doesn't concern you enough to burn brainpower on then kindly fuck off, because it certainly concerned you enough to leave several half-assed replies.

They have made retroactive changes to some items in recent time, legacy and current versions alike. Items are just a set of values and changing some of those values with a script isn't a herculean effort. So in fact I do know it can be done.

Also the reason they kept legacy items is twofold, one because its too much effort to keep up with the changes and two because they do not want to take away the things people worked for in the league. Its an incentive system for dedicated players.
~ I am Wreaclast middle class and proud of it!
~ Poor investment =/= entitlement to compensation.
~ Build smart, build S-mart!
Last edited by Ageless_Emperion on Feb 21, 2017, 5:30:31 PM
"

Well for one, if this issue doesn't concern you enough to burn brainpower on then kindly fuck off, because it certainly concerned you enough to leave several half-assed replies.

They have made retroactive changes to some items in recent time, legacy and current versions alike. Items are just a set of values and changing some of those values with a script isn't a herculean effort. So in fact I do know it can be done.

Also the reason they kept legacy items is twofold, one because its too much effort to keep up with the changes and two because they do not want to take away the things people worked for in the league. Its an incentive system for dedicated players.

Half-assed?

The first was a question because you weren't 100% clear on your intentions.

Retroactively changing a mod like conversion stuff, that only exists on chaos conversion items is different then going back and specifically changing stuff on legacy items only.

Remember back when they changed leech globally and the way it worked? It was easy to retro-actively change a value, because 10%=2% now, very simple formula they can just update to reflect, however you are suggesting they some how go back and specifically change the background or some other aspect of these items to identify them?

What about rare items, as someone else said what about the various different form of unique items that have multiple legacy versions or "worst" legacy versions.

You need to flesh out what exactly your goal is here and think of EVERYTHING before you go ask "can you do this"

https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
goetzjam wrote:
"

Half-assed?

The first was a question because you weren't 100% clear on your intentions.

Retroactively changing a mod like conversion stuff, that only exists on chaos conversion items is different then going back and specifically changing stuff on legacy items only.

Remember back when they changed leech globally and the way it worked? It was easy to retro-actively change a value, because 10%=2% now, very simple formula they can just update to reflect, however you are suggesting they some how go back and specifically change the background or some other aspect of these items to identify them?

What about rare items, as someone else said what about the various different form of unique items that have multiple legacy versions or "worst" legacy versions.

You need to flesh out what exactly your goal is here and think of EVERYTHING before you go ask "can you do this"

K, you want bullet points, here are your bullet points:

What do?
- Change the background and text color of legacy items to reflect the green color palette introduced for legacy league.
- Changes apply uniformly across all non-current items regardless of their rarity or existence of multiple legacy versions.

Why do?
- Promote mechanics literacy among the people playing the game.
- Clearly indicate a game feature that is otherwise invisible to a player unless they go looking for it or have two items to compare.
- Improve trade health in game by decreasing the scamming potential available to scum.

How do?
- Legacy items clearly have unique references that allow them to exist with their values.
- Produce script that changes the color value for all non current-items to the one introduced in the legacy league, WITHOUT THE FOIL EFFECT.
- Since its a blanket change affecting all legacy uniques, it should not be hard to write that.

Satisfied?

Also I do not for the life of me understand the argument that the new color scheme for the background and text should be limited to the new legacy league legacy items, like wtf is the fact they are foil not unique enough for you?!

Seriously this much pushback from this community on a fucking color change for items that cause a fuckton of salt on a regular basis, ffs people...
Last edited by Ageless_Emperion on Feb 21, 2017, 6:02:44 PM
"

What do?
- Change the background and text color of legacy items to reflect the green color palette introduced for legacy league.
- Changes apply uniformly across all non-current items regardless of their rarity or existence of multiple legacy versions.

Why do?
- Clearly indicate a game feature that is otherwise invisible to a player unless they go looking for it or have two items to compare.
- Improve trade health in game by decreasing the scamming potential available to scum.

How do?
- Legacy items clearly have unique references that allow them to exist with their values.
- Produce script that changes the color value for all non current-items to the one introduced in the legacy league, WITHOUT THE FOIL EFFECT.

Satisfied?

Also I do not for the life of me understand the argument that the new color scheme for the background and text should be limited to the new legacy league legacy items, like wtf is the fact they are foil not unique enough for you?!

Seriously this much pushback from this community on a fucking color change for items that cause a fuckton of salt on a regular basis, ffs people...

The green color, just like the foil is there to help people distinguish the difference of legacy items that exists now and those that will drop in the league. By taking away one of those aspects (probably the easier to see one) and giving it also to the regular legacy items that exsists now, you would create confusion.

Mechanics literacy, for the whole 20% or less population that play on standard, most of which are well aware of legacy items and\or the ability to check the wiki.

There isn't any scamming potential, you literally see what you get in the trade window.

Thats what you don't understand. GGG sets the new values of what is allowed and everything that already dropped has the old values, this is why some things you can divine up, while others you can divine down and even some items divining them doesnt help at all, it decreases the number AND doesn't add a new mod. Like legac koams.

it would require downtime

FeelsBadMan

"
goetzjam wrote:
"

What do?

Why do?

How do?

Satisfied?

The green color, just like the foil is there to help people distinguish the difference of legacy items that exists now and those that will drop in the league. By taking away one of those aspects (probably the easier to see one) and giving it also to the regular legacy items that exsists now, you would create confusion.

Mechanics literacy, for the whole 20% or less population that play on standard, most of which are well aware of legacy items and\or the ability to check the wiki.

There isn't any scamming potential, you literally see what you get in the trade window.

Thats what you don't understand. GGG sets the new values of what is allowed and everything that already dropped has the old values, this is why some things you can divine up, while others you can divine down and even some items divining them doesnt help at all, it decreases the number AND doesn't add a new mod. Like legac koams.

it would require downtime

So let me get this straight...you are arguing that instead of bringing uniformity to the legacy system and making all future legacy items easily identifiable you would rather have another tier of legacy items added that is extra special foil snowflake?

That's fucking retarded...

Oh no, I understand perfectly fucking fine, they are making the minimal effort in the short term for a system that can be fairly easily overhauled right now, they even have a good reason to do it with the legacy league. Yeah it will require downtime, distributing the retarded boxes for the races over the weekend required downtime too and this can't be much more difficult than that.

Stop using your lack of their development process as an argument against an improvement that is beneficial for the game in the long run.

Also you are forgetting everyone who enters a league and gets the league specific uniques which can go legacy and those people not knowing that this is a thing that can happen and what it does to the value of the item. This way all those people would notice that their item suddenly changed color and would be prompted to investigate. You know, organically learning about the game rather than just getting fleeced by some random asshole. Also fuck your argument that standard doesn't matter, that's YOUR OPINION, not a fact.
Last edited by Ageless_Emperion on Feb 21, 2017, 6:19:54 PM
"

So let me get this straight...you are arguing that instead of bringing uniformity to the legacy system and making all future legacy items easily identifiable you would rather have another tier of legacy items added that is extra special foil snowflake?

Oh no, I understand perfectly fucking fine, they are making the minimal effort in the short term for a system that can be fairly easily overhauled right now, they even have a good reason to do it with the legacy league. Yeah it will require downtime, distributing the retarded boxes for the races over the weekend required downtime too and this can't be much more difficult than that.

Stop using your lack of their development process as an argument against an improvement that is beneficial for the game in the long run.

Also you are forgetting everyone who enters a league and gets the league specific uniques which can go legacy and those people not knowing that this is a thing that can happen and what it does to the value of the item. This way all those people would notice that their item suddenly changed color and would be prompted to investigate. You know, organically learning about the game rather than just getting fleeced by some random asshole. Also fuck your argument that standard doesn't matter, that YOUR OPINION, not a fact.

So what the fuck is GGG suppose to do, take the game down for an extended time everytime they buff\nerf an item and make a legacy version to go thru and change all of the ones affected before the new ones hit the realm every patch?

GGG has a history of keeping one of the highest uptimes of any online game, I doubt they change that just because some people (which isnt even that many its just really you) want your older items to be even more distinguishable then they are now?

If they going to spend the time to have downtime, why not just update all the existing items then to reflect the new values?

As someone with likely many more legacy items then you, I don't give a fuck, the purpose of these items are to very easily be distinguishable from the ones already existing, a foil doesn't really do that. If you want a rainbow background instead, ok lets go for that instead, but don't just copy something you see from a specific league interaction THAT WAS CREATED SO THERE WOULDNT BE CONFUSION to give your collectors item some more flash or whatever.

Hell I would be more OK with them changing the art of the items to all be foil and leaving the green for the league things.

but yet another thing you forget is that the relics\legacy items from these chest in this league are like 40-50 items, not literally all of the items that have ever had changes, what you are suggesting requires a significant amount of work, for a low amount of payoff.

FeelsBadMan

"
goetzjam wrote:
"

Also you are forgetting everyone who enters a league and gets the league specific uniques which can go legacy and those people not knowing that this is a thing that can happen and what it does to the value of the item. This way all those people would notice that their item suddenly changed color and would be prompted to investigate. You know, organically learning about the game rather than just getting fleeced by some random asshole. Also fuck your argument that standard doesn't matter, that YOUR OPINION, not a fact.

So what the fuck is GGG suppose to do, take the game down for an extended time everytime they buff\nerf an item and make a legacy version to go thru and change all of the ones affected before the new ones hit the realm every patch?

GGG has a history of keeping one of the highest uptimes of any online game, I doubt they change that just because some people (which isnt even that many its just really you) want your older items to be even more distinguishable then they are now?

If they going to spend the time to have downtime, why not just update all the existing items then to reflect the new values?

As someone with likely many more legacy items then you, I don't give a fuck, the purpose of these items are to very easily be distinguishable from the ones already existing, a foil doesn't really do that. If you want a rainbow background instead, ok lets go for that instead, but don't just copy something you see from a specific league interaction THAT WAS CREATED SO THERE WOULDNT BE CONFUSION to give your collectors item some more flash or whatever.

Hell I would be more OK with them changing the art of the items to all be foil and leaving the green for the league things.

but yet another thing you forget is that the relics\legacy items from these chest in this league are like 40-50 items, not literally all of the items that have ever had changes, what you are suggesting requires a significant amount of work, for a low amount of payoff.

A) They can do an update like this live, they have done before.
B) You are GROSSLY, I can't fucking stress this word enough, over exaggerating how much work this would take, which most of your arguments against this change seem to revolve around.
C) Fucking yeah, when they push this change through making changes to items when they go legacy from now on should be easy as the volume will never be as large as it is when you are establishing a system like this.

All of your arguments are retarded and based purely on, I'mma fucking oppose this guys idea, I am going to maintain that I don't give a fuck about this and not use any logic for why I think doing the better thing for the game is a bad thing. RAWR.

Dude just fuck off, go troll another thread.
"

B) You are GROSSLY, I can't fucking stress this word enough, over exaggerating how much work this would take, which most of your arguments against this change seem to revolve around.
C) Fucking yeah, when they push this change through making changes to items when they go legacy from now on should be easy as the volume will never be as large as it is when you are establishing a system like this.

All of your arguments are retarded and based purely on, I'mma fucking oppose this guys idea, I am going to maintain that I don't give a fuck about this and not use any logic for why I think doing the better thing for the game is a bad thing. RAWR.

A) They've ONLY UPDATED VALUES THAT CORRELATE WITH A SPECIFIC TABLE, which was to NOT create legacy items, they've never done a change to a legacy item like you are describing.

B) If it was so easy in the first place they likely would not have created legacy items and continue to create legacy items, especially in the cases where the newer ones are better and\or gain additional mods.

C) Yes it won't be as large as it is now, but you are ignoring D O W N T I M E

GGG does NOT DO DOWNTIME like you are describing.

It has nothing to do with opposing your idea, it has to do with the fact it isn't worth creating the confusion of the difference between these league relics and current legacy items, it isn't worth the downtime of taking the WHOLE FUCKING REALM DOWN to make a graphical change to make your items feel more special, that has no effect on how they work.

If you act like this to anyone that even slightly challenges your idea, you best not post in a public forum and expect people to react civil.

FeelsBadMan

"
goetzjam wrote:
"

A) They've ONLY UPDATED VALUES THAT CORRELATE WITH A SPECIFIC TABLE, which was to NOT create legacy items, they've never done a change to a legacy item like you are describing.

B) If it was so easy in the first place they likely would not have created legacy items and continue to create legacy items, especially in the cases where the newer ones are better and\or gain additional mods.

C) Yes it won't be as large as it is now, but you are ignoring D O W N T I M E

GGG does NOT DO DOWNTIME like you are describing.

It has nothing to do with opposing your idea, it has to do with the fact it isn't worth creating the confusion of the difference between these league relics and current legacy items, it isn't worth the downtime of taking the WHOLE FUCKING REALM DOWN to make a graphical change to make your items feel more special, that has no effect on how they work.

If you act like this to anyone that even slightly challenges your idea, you best not post in a public forum and expect people to react civil.

No its just you, because you are too thick to wrap your head around any concept outside of the one you are brutally trying to bash the discussion to death with.
Goetzjam is correct about the downtime. The reason GGG has given for having legacy items in the first place is because the downtime needed to go through and update one by one every legacy item in an ever growing database would take an extended downtime. Last I heard it was in the week range but now there are many more players and many more items so it'd probably be much longer of downtime.

You're confusing changing mechanics with changing items. They've got around this downtime limitation a few times by changing mechanics, not by changing legacy values. They just adjusted all values by a certain percentage on the chaos conversion items and leech items. That's significantly different than going back through and finding all the legacy shavs and changing the numbers on how much ES within the mod range the items have.

What you are asking for would take the downtime because there is no "legacy" tag on the legacy items that they can just make a color change on. If it were that easy, they would have just eliminated all the legacy items in the first place.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
Last edited by mark1030 on Feb 21, 2017, 7:59:33 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info