Donald Trump and US politics

"
ImmaPokemon wrote:
Hillary didnt become president with Russias help, Trump did.

[citation needed]

---

To be less acerbic, the reason Hillary didn't become president is that not enough Democrats got up and went to the polls to vote for her. She enthused nobody, and you can only get people so excited to "vote against" instead of "vote for" when voting is non-mandatory.

Trump got slightly more votes than Romney or McCain or Bush prior, but Hillary got double-digits percentage less votes than Obama did in either 2008 or 2012.
Last edited by pneuma on Jul 24, 2017, 2:46:49 PM

story of politics in general
I dont see any any key!
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
deathflower wrote:
India's Supreme Court has in the past issued opinions condemning the village councils as illegal bodies. Edicts carried out by local councils are illegal, are not legally binding in India. It is considered vigilante justice. They do shitty things like honour killings, infringing women's right and nonsense like rules on how you dress.
I researched for some time and couldn't find any mention of a supreme court decision. Finding claims of village council malfeasance wasn't as difficult.

People need to travel more...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khap

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/organisation-company/khap-panchayat/articleshow/56186940.cms
"
deathflower wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
deathflower wrote:
India's Supreme Court has in the past issued opinions condemning the village councils as illegal bodies. Edicts carried out by local councils are illegal, are not legally binding in India. It is considered vigilante justice. They do shitty things like honour killings, infringing women's right and nonsense like rules on how you dress.
I researched for some time and couldn't find any mention of a supreme court decision. Finding claims of village council malfeasance wasn't as difficult.

People need to travel more...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khap

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/organisation-company/khap-panchayat/articleshow/56186940.cms

travel is expensive
I dont see any any key!
"
pneuma wrote:
"
ImmaPokemon wrote:

[citation needed]

---

To be less acerbic, the reason Hillary didn't become president is that not enough Democrats got up and went to the polls to vote for her. She enthused nobody, and you can only get people so excited to "vote against" instead of "vote for" when voting is non-mandatory.

Trump got slightly more votes than Romney or McCain or Bush prior, but Hillary got double-digits percentage less votes than Obama did in either 2008 or 2012.

Trump won the electoral college, Hillary the popular vote. Ironic that Trump hated on the electoral college.
"
ImmaPokemon wrote:
"
pneuma wrote:
"
ImmaPokemon wrote:

[citation needed]

---

Trump won the electoral college, Hillary the popular vote. Ironic that Trump hated on the electoral college.

I dont see any any key!
"
ImmaPokemon wrote:

Trump won by the metric that we all agreed to before we started should determine the president. Instead of spending political capital on, say, trying to abolish the electoral college, people are pissing it away accusing each other of crimes with no solid evidence, or defending themselves from the same.

This is now the second "electoral but not popular vote victory" in recent years and it somehow evaded the crosshairs again. Most people dislike the electoral college (including Trump) because most people don't live in small states that are given undue weight by the system. People not living in them is what makes them small...

Anyway, at the current rate of urbanization, >67% of people will live in large states that can outvote small states with a supermajority. I really don't foresee it lasting for much longer.

I'd also love to see other kinds of voting reform like making election day a national holiday, making primaries approval based with some threshold and running any who make it over the threshold in the final ballot, and possibly something like IRV. All of which we don't get to talk about because that motherfucker got TWO GODDAMN SCOOPS!
Last edited by pneuma on Jul 24, 2017, 3:39:56 PM
"
pneuma wrote:
"
ImmaPokemon wrote:

Trump won by the metric that we all agreed to before we started should determine the president. Instead of spending political capital on, say, trying to abolish the electoral college, people are pissing it away accusing each other of crimes with no solid evidence, or defending themselves from the same.

This is now the second "electoral but not popular vote victory" in recent years and it somehow evaded the crosshairs again. Most people dislike the electoral college (including Trump) because most people don't live in small states that are given undue weight by the system. People not living in them is what makes them small...

Anyway, at the current rate of urbanization, >67% of people will live in large states that can outvote small states with a supermajority. I really don't foresee it lasting for much longer.

I'd also love to see other kinds of voting reform like making election day a national holiday, making primaries approval based with some threshold and running any who make it over the threshold in the final ballot, and possibly something like IRV. All of which we don't get to talk about because that motherfucker got TWO GODDAMN SCOOPS!

If you ask me, I would say larger states deserve it if they are that stupid. They let smaller states outvote larger states. Smaller states are now over-represented and larger states are underrepresented. Smaller states should enjoy their TWO GODDAMN SCOOPS.
Mooch learning from the best.

GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
And just like Trump, he was a huge Democrat/supporter right up until just a few years ago. It's like a mini-me.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info