How We Approach Console Development

"
Daiena wrote:
"
Priz wrote:
I'm proud of you guys either way, feel bad that you have to take all the bitter responses.

Posts like these are actually what eventually kills most games

It implies that anything of this or that attitude affects development more than login and MTX store statistics, if at all.

Was anything of what you said previously affected their development in the past? Did it ever make them think "ohh better not do anything brash like console release"?

We will never know, but better continue providing encouragement exclusively through profanity just in case. This is all like a Skinner box test hamster that hysterically smashes the button as it can't tell how much pressing it affects food dispenser.

To me, it seems more logical to suppress people that have low standards, rather than attempting to influence developer. If developer is indeed very prone to calm down because of good forum remark, then it will be more efficient to hunt down and placate those posters instead. As long as you're trying to debate them like on court, you're simply antagonizing yourself and making your own standpoint unfavorable. Person that never buys MTX ever will never balance out person that buys MTX once.

But realistically, its several years too late to raise alarm. Should have done something before actual release of the game. At this point, people say the same thing that you do just to feel unaffected by "pr spin" "to placate the unwashed hordes", like someone else said there.
Last edited by Gehinom on Jan 19, 2017, 5:07:39 AM
Not an xbox owner, but I'm excited to see what they learn/implement with the new tech.

-Gratz GGG
I don't know if its been asked or answered but:

if something i.e. some feature doesn't work on console but works on pc, will it not be on pc?
"
Chris wrote:
We hired new team members specifically for the the console project. They were directly responsible for the massive improvements to frame rate, client load times, memory use, as well as the introduction of the 64-bit client, DirectX 11 renderer and new audio system. These changes were immediately released to the PC version as soon as they were available. Even if you're not a console gamer, this project improved the game for you.

You seem to be implying that these things only happened because of your decision to port the game.
That's not exactly filling me with optimism.
"
Daiena wrote:
"
Priz wrote:
I'm proud of you guys either way, feel bad that you have to take all the bitter responses.

Posts like these are actually what eventually kills most games

FFS.. of course it 'eventually kills most games' since there are a lot of bitchy gamers who won't support game any longer becouse developers announced another port version.

Reading all the posts 'I won't support GGG until I see PC version is going well' gave me a cancer. If some of you had brain then you'd be able to read and understand that work on Xbox version begun back in 2015. And yet, all of you supported the game until you read this news.

Hypocrisy at it finest.
Last edited by Krnik on Jan 19, 2017, 5:59:35 AM
chris, mentioning that the xbox is basically running win10 with some custom amd gpu would have prevented most of the outrage.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
Krnik wrote:
Reading all the posts 'I won't support GGG until I see PC version is going well' gave me a cancer.

especially since it's a self fulfilling prophecy, if support from pc players drops significantly, the console version naturally gets more development support ...
I wonder what GGG will do if the game(s) become too different. Will they arrive at a point where they are sooo different that they will need to change name? I cant see a way for them to implement everything that PC gets to the console version. So they will either become very different games or ideas will be skipped/passed since there is no way for them to implement the idea to the console version.

This is my fear.
"
vio wrote:
chris, mentioning that the xbox is basically running win10 with some custom amd gpu would have prevented most of the outrage.

Most of the actual issues would rather come from console control scheme that would replace point and click with directionals.
So it seems you will likely be using leap slam/blink arrow only by directing yourself instead of pointing the location, and discerning approaching reflect mob in the crowd would be shortsighted. It has to be very different game with altered balance to accommodate to the changes, but since Xbox is a separate realm, it doesn't have sensible reason to affect main game.

The actual, dominating, fearmongering however is that they ought to naturally divert game difficulty and suit all upcoming mechanics to work as Awesome button. Like imagine if the whole point of introducing channeling and CwC is to suit the joypad controls rather than mouse one. Your mind will run wild with speculations like this.

Then multiply it by attitude of people that think their game purchases somehow work as investments to make developer "owe" them improvements they personally wanted.
It will be a very ugly picture, and we're going to stick with this panic for no less than 2-3 months.
Last edited by Gehinom on Jan 19, 2017, 6:27:17 AM
"
Gehinom wrote:
"
vio wrote:

Most of the actual issues would rather come from console control scheme that would replace point and click with directionals.

that's also a valid concern of mine. it will (already did) heavily influence skill development.

"
Gehinom wrote:

Then multiply it by attitude of people that think their game purchases somehow work as investments to make developer "owe" them improvements they personally wanted.
It will be a very ugly picture, and we're going to stick with this panic for no less than 2-3 months.

also a valid concern. especially since every step ggg now takes will be seen under the light of the console release.

the urge to have some longer break from forums and reddit never felt so imminent :-)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info