How We Approach Console Development

"
Mischief67 wrote:
Like it or not.

You few early fudgers @ GGG's made an ARPG from scratch and in a few years it became the best by far on PC and now is even developed on Xbox?

Geezzz that's some successful entrepeneurial endeavor right there.

Congrats, be proud!

I'm sure if at the time you had called them entrepreneurs they would have been insulted.

Now however, lacking passion for their product and simply looking to make cash? Yeah you're probably right.
jsdf
"
Mischief67 wrote:
Like it or not.

You few early fudgers @ GGG's made an ARPG from scratch and in a few years it became the best by far on PC and now is even developed on Xbox?

Geezzz that's some successful entrepeneurial endeavor right there.

Congrats, be proud!

Yeah right in two years when PoE is a dead game and they have milked all the possible money out of it theyll probably go on and release another TF2 clone just like overwatch. Jesus might as well try to make a MOBA? League of Legends 2 anyone?

Im exagerating, but this is a step in the wrong direction for GGG. I feel betrayed and theyve lost a lot of my respect/trust. Sad day.
my take on this is simple:

1) it is a lack of rational thinking at best, or a shaddy lie at worst - the part about consoles not affecting PC version's gameplay and design. it will and already DOES affect eachother. some mechanics are impossible on console - and 1 flask slot is not one of the important or truly impossible ones.

2) melee. single target namelock melee. it is all clear now that these skills have ZERO chances to ever be good. can you stop the sharade now and just remove them from the game? we all know why they suck (they cannot be ever good with controler) so why keep them?

3) you held this info secret for 2 years. why? to collect more from people who will drop their support once they realize that they are funding console version?

4) is the console market that big of a deal to bother? ARPGs arent hot on consoles, because they are not the 'couch, palls, 30min weekend session, beer' type of games. what makes ARPGs desirable is the direct opposite to what cosnole gamer seeks from the game. if you needed money - you have entire chineese market to milk. but will you milk it when your PC game starts to behave like console game?

5) all the trading/looting stuff. console players wont touch 3rd party site. so there is a) no trading and everything is BOA) b) there is console-only built in trading (explain this to PC players..) pretty damn difficult to connect two worlds (in game design sense) so different from eachother.

6) performance. xbox is AMD gpu am i right? the same AMD gpu that never really worked well with POE? you guys know that it still doesnt work? even your biggest PR streamer/supporter ziggy spoke about that in pretty sour tone. so will you fix AMD performance on PCs or will the console be the only AMD environment that works smoothly?

in short - it doesnt change the game right now. but now im at least informed why the game went downhil during last 2 years.. the AOEfication, simplification, power-creep and no real balancing effort most probably wouldnt have happened without console port.
This is how this game will die. Utter waste of money and resources.
I'm actually curious as to what they mean by making things very drastically different if PC players were to get controller support?

do they mean making single target skills actually usable (common request from players)? or making item pickups easier/faster (common request from players)?

because if so, i'll have to put on my sarcastic voice for an appropriate "oh nooooo what a nightmare with those quality of life improvements"
Oh lord.

Chris, take my energy and ignore the qq's. You know as anyone the amount of backlash you get from your engine is from me lol. But I am with you on this one, stay strong. The amount of crying and back chair quarterbacking is insane.

Great work! I hope the XBOX 1 brings the aRPG genre to console gamers and helps get the word out even more about PoE!

Edit: Now with that said. Fix that damn disco bug on the DX 11 version!
"Good thing they nerfed the carto, it wasn't fun to find one in every map." - Haborym
Last edited by monkuar on Jan 19, 2017, 2:36:26 AM
Nothing good comes when going console for a pc game. Nothing!

I am done with this game.

Please delete my account and all what is in it. Thank you
Why you should try Harcore http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/209310/page/1
"
tadl wrote:
Nothing good comes when going console for a pc game. Nothing!

I am done with this game.

Sorry, but this is just silly. But how is a free to play POE XBOX one version going to affect your life?

If anything, it will increase PoE's popularity and let the aRPG genre shine through console players and let them enjoy it.

Seems like only a positive thing
"Good thing they nerfed the carto, it wasn't fun to find one in every map." - Haborym
Last edited by monkuar on Jan 19, 2017, 2:43:18 AM
"
tadl wrote:
can i has ur stuff
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
Black_Gun wrote:
so, say you're in the dev meeting and one guy proposes a cool mechanic for the act 6 bossfight that would be really cool on the pc, but could never work on the console due to control restrictions - in this hypothetical situation, does
"
"The development and direction of the PC version has not and will not change due to the existence of the console version"
mean that you will nonetheless bring the cool boss mechanic to the pc version, even if it doubles the required effort and production cost of this bossfight? do you really want us to believe that you would't just dismiss the cool idea in that situation and try to look for another mechanic that works for both pc and console?

as others have said: for very simple and very basic reasons, you cannot and will not have two versions of the game that take on completely divergent paths. therefore, it is simply impossible for the existence of the console version to not impose a "glass ceiling" for the game design of both versions. although I absolutely believe in your best intentions, I see absolutely no way for the console version to not affect the monster, bossfight and skill design of the pc version in a negative way.

This guy is totally correct. Its just not cost efficient to introduce three new skills, one for Xbox, one for PC and one that works on both. Clearly its cheaper to make two skills that work on both.

GGG was always going to take the money PoE made them and invest it into a second project. That's how business works, I seriously don't get the people crying about that. Its just super unfortunate that they really have 1.5 projects that will trip over each other instead of two fully separate entities.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info