armour problem

"
Mythabril wrote:
"
Phrazz wrote:
I'm running around with 7 endurance charges, 9k armor and Arctic Armor. And physical damage never kills me.

Elemental damage, on the other hand... You just can't mitigate that shit.

Well, Chaos Inoculation and Incandescent Heart would work for elemental damage, though you cripple yourself in other ways doing that, like having only 250 ES on your chest.

Yeah, and those extra 600+ ES from chest translate into 2.5-3k ES, and considering average ES pool of 12k, and instant leech, the difference will be negligible.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
This is why I don't bother with armor, it's a newb trap, the physical damage you care about is boss damage, much of that boss damage is telegraphed and one shots you if you don't get out of the way no matter how much mitigation you have (unless you have huge hp sometimes even then). So now we're effectively talking about a huge investment in armor to get what? The ability to take two non-teleghraphed boss hits plus maybe you can ignore the adds? That's a poor ROI, especially considering that investment costs you opportunity to get missed, or do more DPS.

Evasion despite it's flaws feels tankier than armor when you save up passives and add a bunch and regear and then go hit the same maps you were running you'll be like "holy fek I only need to hit a flask every once in a while". Doing the same thing with armor and you're like: well I can stand here and let these spiders chew on me but the boss still kills me in two hits. With EV that second hit misses (well simplified version for example anyway) and gives you ample time to flask life if you're life, or leech if you're CI.

Don't even get me started on endurance charges, awesome I can stack up mitigation until I get to the boss where most likely I wont have it, or wont be able to count on it. unless I'm a Jugg. Any form of investment that goes away when you most need it is just wasted passive points. SO it is that endurance charges are IMO not worth investing in, unless you get them REALLY easy (so Jugg)

The best mitigation in POE is not being close to the damage, evasion has much better syngery with this (armor investment is useless if you're not near the enemy to get hit while being missed as you move away or being missed when you get too close is highly beneficial) which is one reason why Melee is so utterly terrible to play in this game. The whole game is tuned and balanced with the expectation that you will spend 90% of your time NOT NEAR THE ENEMY.
"only 10% of players care about melee" - Aesop's Fox if he was a GGG dev
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
"
alhazred70 wrote:

Don't even get me started on endurance charges, awesome I can stack up mitigation until I get to the boss where most likely I wont have it, or wont be able to count on it. unless I'm a Jugg. Any form of investment that goes away when you most need it is just wasted passive points. SO it is that endurance charges are IMO not worth investing in, unless you get them REALLY easy (so Jugg)

Enduring Cry is the obvious and easy way to preserve Endurance Charges during boss fight.
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
"
Zrevnur wrote:

Enduring Cry is the obvious and easy way to preserve Endurance Charges during boss fight.

I mean sure that's a thing you can do... it's just that I usually have 4 or 5 things that are far more impactful to do with my finger than spin up short duration 4% mitigation X3 over and over. Flasks for example, stibnite and basalt far better uses of my fingers, and doing DPS, and dropping a totem, movement etc.. All while watching for tells to avoid special attacks. Somehow trying to manually ramp up endurance charges doesn't seem like a practical use of a hot key. But hey to each their own.

If I'm melee I just use triggers with charge on stun support, way better than trying to manually ramp short lived charges.

But again, this is about reliability and mitigation you can count on when you need it most.
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
"
alhazred70 wrote:
"
Zrevnur wrote:

I mean sure that's a thing you can do... it's just that I usually have 4 or 5 things that are far more impactful to do with my finger than spin up short duration 4% mitigation X3 over and over.

o_O

0.25 seconds for, at minimum, 10 second duration, is literally 2.5% of your time...

Or did you generalize the "preserve Endurance Charges" to include the generation stage as well? Then yeah, for single-target bosses in today's clear-speed meta, 12 seconds is way too long. Boss'll be dead by then!

Or do you use CWDT - IC? Yeah, if you don't have +max charges, triggered IC is nice for burst DPS, and Enduring Cry is kind of a waste there. In this case it's up to you whether you'd rather have occasional invulnerability vs physical, or if you'd like constant 13.6% more EHP against physical. Shrugs.

Otherwise, like if you got a boos room that has lots of adds, Enduring Cry is not only great for preserving Enduring Charges, but also for generating them.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Sound like a l2p issue.

Armor/life is weak without endurance charges, fortify, taste of hate, basalt flask, granite flask, lighting coil, empowered enfeeble on blas and a few other things assisting. Just play CI if you can't understand these basics.

:P :)
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jan 16, 2017, 12:20:32 AM
besides CI (and only because of leech+VP) ALL defence mechanics 'are bad' because these are weak vs something. ALL of them

armour is no exception. it does good job (play a 0 armor character WITHOUT instant leech and see how much damage goes your way) but it cannot be used as a single-trick solution.

basalt etc are cool but flasks tend to run out (And some hits in this game snapshot damage so pressing flasks can be 'too late')

people should start to apply real math to this game, untill then some myths will be alive and strong (like 'evason sux' or 'armor sux' or whatever)

ps. cwdt + ic is pretty much a noob trap that got popular because.. it worked in 1.0 with enduring cry. but people use it and are happy. cool.
"
adghar wrote:
like if you got a boos room that has lots of adds, Enduring Cry is

It's not that I disagree with what you're saying it's that the context of my statement is being ignored in favor of "informing me" that Enduring cry is a thing I apparently didn't know was "obvious and easy".

Here's the context of my statement:
"this is about reliability and mitigation you can count on when you need it most."

if you got a boos room that has lots of adds

reliability and mitigation you can count on when you need it most

if you got

you can count on when you need it most

if

count on
You can stack the AR into tens of thousands and it still be useless. Add End charges fortifys, flasks all day long and it still be useless. Know why? Explosions and ele damage. Fuck AR in its current form. Played 3 characters that had around 15k and my last one that had 5k, there is almost no difference at all. In the end I died to Volatile, Revenant explosion and esh breach light ball. So get just few k or AR and invest everything you got into life buffer. This is the GGG way, sponge and leech back!
I AM MAD
ZAP!ZAP!ZAP! ME SOOO WIZZARD!
"
alhazred70 wrote:

With

you can get some endurance charges, and even Fortify, before boss fight. Use Basalt flask, and stack up remaining charges, it's pretty simple. I've used this tactics on my Slayer, and it works marvelously.
Endurance charges also provide elemental resistance overcap, so sudden -resist curses wont make you insta-die if you didnt removed them. And Endurance charges dont require so much investments as Armour (if your skilltree has proper position). I dont say they're must-have, though.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Jan 16, 2017, 5:30:24 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info