Blade Flurry

I created a Blade Flurry Character for Breach league and noticed it's really strong and while being bored leveling in Dried Lake I noticed that if you mash Blade Flurry instead of Channeling it, it does a heck of lot more damage then channeling to 6 and releasing. I think it's a bug with the Mechanics of how the skill works or maybe I'm just getting lucky but trust me it's doing more damage then Channeling.
"
Tykero wrote:
Edit: Actually, the "damage per use" result doesn't seem to be accurate even when just wielding one weapon -- that or I'm misunderstanding how it's supposed to be calculated.

It factors in Crits.
ok Im really enjoying this skill, its a lot of fun.

Heres one thing Ill say though, Ive been partying today with my mate foxtactics, hes doing arc no surprise, and basically this skill is shit compared to arc. Here is the experience, we run along, stuff comes on the edge of the screen, he holds down fire and everything dies before I can even get close enough to attack. So basically I run along side him and do nothing 90% of the time, Im like a support bot who does f all supporting, Im just a spectator.

Why do I mention this? Because this would have been true before you nerfed this skill, its a good skill for a melee skill, but compared to any bow skill or any long ranged spell it is shit, unbelievably useless shit that is so bad you cant even party with those other things because you will do nothing essentially. And yet you nerfed it, why? Because these clueless people on the forum said it was op? These same people who say arc isnt viable, even though arc is magnitudes better than BF to the point where it just makes it useless? You nerfed cyclone, nerfed earthquake, these skills are also absolutely useless shit that cant do anything when played along side any range build. So why are you nerfing these skills? Why are you listening to these people on the forum who have no clue what theyre talking about? In doing so you are basically making melee shit, any melee skill thats even half as good as a ranged skill these people complain and then you nerf them... to make them balanced with the other melee skills no one plays because theyre shit. When will you learn? When will you actually stop nerfing melee skills like this one, BF should have been BUFFED, not nerfed, and then maybe it could live in a game with stuff like arc and split arrow, maybe. Yes that would render every other melee skill shit, thats why you need to buff those even more.

So talking against melee skills, ignoring ranged comparisons, before the nerf to BF the skill was great, but not as good as reave, maybe about equal with frostblades. Since the nerf reave is, imo, significantly better, essentially reave just hits about 5x as many monsters at once... right... so even against other melee skills why was this nerfed?

I feel like your balance team doesnt balance skills, you try and balance the opinions of players on the forums who just jump on hype and hate trains spawned by mathil vids and to do this you make skills unbalanced. Last skill adjustments didnt reave get a 10% damage buff? What exactly are you doing? I mean, reave needed that to keep up with all decent bow and ranged spells that are worth playing, but at the same time youre nerfing quake which wasnt even as good as reave, nerfing cyclone that even with broken single target deeps could never in a million years ever compete with reave, ever, when it takes you 8 minutes to clear a map that reave could clear in 2 your skill is shit, essentially. cyclones aoe buff maybe brings its clear up a bit but the 50% less on first hit etc is still leaving it doing way less damage than it needs to do in order to have a reason to exist other than "I like cyclone despite it being shit" same way someone out there right now is playing glacial hammer because they think its cool.

If you reverse the nerf on flurry its still shit compared to actual ranged, if you ever want people to stop saying melee is shit youre gonna have to actually have melee skills that are more effective than the pre nerf flurry.

like this...

"
Stormsg wrote:
"
Sydin117 wrote:
I won't spend as much time on this skill as I did critiquing scorching ray but I'll say this; this is the way melee was meant to be.

Sure, if your idea of melee is one shotting the entire screen longer range than a bow

you dont 1 shot the screen, 1 shot maybe 1/12 of the screen at best, and bows have perhaps 3x as much range as flurry. If you keep balancing the game based around statements like this that are absolutely absurd then were always gonna have big problems with skill balance. People will always complain melee is shit, and they will have a fair point because outside of reave it is, every other melee skill is basically shit right now in the bigger picture, frost blades is maybe ok, quake is maybe ok but theyre mid tier skills at best.
"
Ghai wrote:
Something i don't understand in the mechanics.
When you release the channeling it has additional attack right? like a stream of hits
i can't understand if this skill supposed to reach the 6th stage and than be released? or just keep channeling. Can't make up my mind

I was also thinking about it all the time while playing. I have like 20h played on BF in the new league and still don't have a certain answer.

I made some primitive calculations and thats what I have:

In first case, when you release every 6 stacks, the avarage damage per "hit" is:

(1 + 1.2 + 1.4 + 1.6 + 1.8 + 2 + 2.2 + 6) / 8 = 2.15 of your base BF damage (Not including delays).

So if you are a robot that does no delays between gaining 6 stacks and releasing and between releasing and starting channeling again, the best you can do is 2.15 of your base BF damage per each BF "hit".
Ofcourse it would be less due to we are humans and make some delays there.

In second case when we continue channeling at 6 stacts the damage tends to 2.2 of your base BF damage per each BF "hit" due to 120% more damage bonus.

So according to this, seems like its more efficient in terms of DPS to continue channeling in a boss fight rather than release every 6 stacks.

But there is another moment:

"
mazul wrote:
2nd Question:
Again regarding the attack you do when you release your 6 charges: Do all those 6 attacks get 120% more dmg bonus?

If so, ofcourse the first method with releasing seems to be way more efficient cause the avarage hit would be:

(1 + 1.2 + 1.4 + 1.6 + 1.8 + 2 + 2.2 + 6*2.2) / 8 = 3.05 of your base BF damage.

But according to my personall feelings there isnt really any dps benefit of releasing BF every 6 stacks.

So for now the tactic I have come to is to watch the target HP and release BF so that its unleashed damage would do a killing blow.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by HuKoJIAuKA on Dec 7, 2016, 3:37:11 AM
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
Tykero wrote:
Edit: Actually, the "damage per use" result doesn't seem to be accurate even when just wielding one weapon -- that or I'm misunderstanding how it's supposed to be calculated.

It factors in Crits.

That doesn't explain why my damage per use would go down when equipping a second weapon of an invalid weapon type (damage per hit should only go up in that instance, do to the dual wielding bonuses), or why the tooltip damage per use is lower than the average of the displayed damage ranges on the tooltip.
Additionally, the attack time displayed in the tooltip is pretty much always wrong, and appears to be calculated using the off-hand weapon's attack speed regardless of whether or not you can use Blade Flurry with it.

Damage calculation software like "Path of Building" -- assuming it's accurate -- spits out a per-hit stat several times greater than the tooltip in game.

"Here is the experience, we run along, stuff comes on the edge of the screen, he holds down fire and everything dies before I can even get close enough to attack. So basically I run along side him and do nothing 90% of the time, Im like a support bot who does f all supporting, Im just a spectator." -Snorkle

So what you're saying is your buddy is so overpowered that literally the only factor that is hindering you is range, not damage.

"That doesn't explain why my damage per use would go down when equipping a second weapon of an invalid weapon type" -Tykero
Oh, yeah, that's because the game always assumes you can use both weapons. It's just one of those annoying tooltip bugs that GGG can't really "just fix" without a big ol' rewriting.

The avg. Damage display is correct for my dagger/shield setup:
228-665 total Damage
31.12% Crit Chance
306% Crit Mult
86% Chance to Hit

(228 + 665) / 2 * ((100 - 31.12) / 100) * 0.86 = 264.49 avg damage from non-Crits
(228 + 665) / 2 * 3.06 * (31.12 / 100) * 0.86 = 365.66 avg damage from Crits
365.66 + 264.49 = 630.15 total average damage

My tooltip lists 630.1
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"Here is the experience, we run along, stuff comes on the edge of the screen, he holds down fire and everything dies before I can even get close enough to attack. So basically I run along side him and do nothing 90% of the time, Im like a support bot who does f all supporting, Im just a spectator." -Snorkle

So what you're saying is your buddy is so overpowered that literally the only factor that is hindering you is range, not damage.

well, so overpowered, he had 20k dps arc... my arc on standard has 80k, fox was using arc last league with about 120k whne properly geared? anuharts low life arc i think he said was about 200k? 20k arc, hes using a very badly geared ranged build with mediocre damage a few days into a league, and thats what it does. Does my damage matter at all then? Well a bit yeah cause of I make it to a pack I dont instantly kill it and it still gets arced from under my feet. I expect him to be doing about 7x as much damage as that within the next few weeks. Every single ranged build I would play within say a week of starting the char would have at least double his damage and be able to hit the edges of the screen, so overpwoered... yeah so overpowered is a correct assessment, but were talking about every single competently built ranged char in the game, thats the current state of the game.

Melee dps and ranged dps are somewhat similar in practice, except range is killing so many more things so much quicker. So when they then take a skill like this, nerf its range, nerf its aoe and nerf its attack speed Im kind of at a loss as to what exactly theyre balancing it against?

The topics on this forum regarding the 2 skills, the opinions going round that I have been: blade Flurry is too op and needs nerfed all round, and arc is not viable and needs buffed. bF has been nerfed since, and it wouldnt surprise me if arc actually does get a buff at some point because were balancing what people use on mass not the actual reality of skills it seems.

Melee damage should matter, melee should have way more damage than ranged, but as youve pointed out for that to matter damage actually has to matter and it sort of doesnt after a point, and that point is quite trivial to reach. My general point isnt that BF should hit the entire world like chaining ranged skills can, Im just prodding at the mentality that nerfs a skill like this when those ranged skills exist in the state they are currently in and are not addressed. Spells got a general 10% damage buff in recent history, so did bows, at a point when it was harder to reach the same damage figures they already had with 1h weapons using melee skills. You need a 400pdps weapon or more to keep up, and to date in over 12k hours played Ive never found one or had even 1/10 of the currency needed to craft one despite being rich enough to own 550pdps mirrored weapons that 99.9% of players will never own, Ive found maybe four 300pdps weapons so far from the start of open beta four years ago.
I see only mathematics on dmg output, but 6&release works nice with kiting bosses with whirling blades also.
"
ArrowToKnee wrote:
I see only mathematics on dmg output, but 6&release works nice with kiting bosses with whirling blades also.

Yea, its obvious. For most bosses you would release 6 stacks and use whirling blades.
But the question is what to do to increase your damage output when you dont take too much damage so you dont have to run.
For example some fat rares with high hp/regen or some harmless bosses.
In my case I run in a party with a summoner so hes minions take 90% agro and all that I should do is to make as much damage as possible.
Last edited by HuKoJIAuKA on Dec 8, 2016, 4:31:05 AM
Point out mathil has like 10ex gear on his main dps right now using blade flurry and ripped 3 times on one atziri clear for someone. So take it how you will but I fail to see how bf is busted.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info