[2.6] Flash Freeze Ice Shot Ranger

Hey I'm playing a version of this build in Hardcore Breach league, and it's doing pretty good! Having fun :)

ATM I'm lvl 85, have 4'500 life, 11'000 Evasion, GREAT chance to dodge spells and attacks and 27k DPS with Ice Shot. The bow I have I crafted myself, spending ALL my currency I had collected through playing. This is my first char this league, and I'm really happy how I managed to get this gear just through leveling (had some luck finding items + crafting items).

This is my tree: https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAICAABeBWYF-QYjCC4Kmw2ND6sVQxXwFr8ZhhmKGY4hdiPTI_YkiyT9JpUqCyo4Kk0wcTB8MZ4x-jIBNZI31DnUOkI64T8nSn1KyEt4TZJN404qUUdRTFPPVUtbr13yXkVfsGBDYeJpTm1sbj1uqm8nb55v8nBSdf1293cHeOt7FH1bfXV_K4MJhG-ExYbOhxOHdonTjAuMNo19jb-S85cGmmqbJpuNm7WcpKCfplen1KxHrcKyGbVItfK5fLvjvoDBM8M6xKLKSs9ez3rTftQj1ELYvdqx3ajgn-Hb45_nCudU6b3ssO0_7YPvevC78kX66_zF_gr-j_66_sj_3g==

Let me know what you think!

Last edited by Jokix10 on Jan 15, 2017, 5:08:31 PM
I need to ask - sry for my language at start - why this bulid with
Slivertongue Harbinger Bow is better then with Laioneye's Glare Imperial Bow ( only example couse i play with that Imperial bow ) - i change to habringer bow and my dps go down - 28.000 dps to 9.000.

Someone can explain why is this better solution ?? Couse bosses on maps - die slower then before i change bow to harbringer xD

Thanks for answers - im learn this game...
Last edited by Orbit84 on Jan 19, 2017, 2:55:37 PM
"
Orbit84 wrote:
I need to ask - sry for my language at start - why this bulid with
Slivertongue Harbinger Bow is better then with Laioneye's Glare Imperial Bow ( only example couse i play with that Imperial bow ) - i change to habringer bow and my dps go down - 28.000 dps to 9.000.

Someone can explain why is this better solution ?? Couse bosses on maps - die slower then before i change bow to harbringer xD

Thanks for answers - im learn this game...

That is very weird, but there is a lot that goes into this. Dps of both bows, amount of links, what gems, ascendancy points, and bosses will still die slightly slower but it shouldn't be noticeable.
which jewel should to use?
"
TheLeg0 wrote:

I recommend a double, triple, or quad damage jewel whichever fits your budget better.
"
Xenovenom wrote:
"
TheLeg0 wrote:

I recommend a double, triple, or quad damage jewel whichever fits your budget better.

double damage jewel? i dont know what is it :)
"
TheLeg0 wrote:
double damage jewel? i dont know what is it :)

Any jewel that has 2, 3, or 4 of the following rolls:

- #% increased damage
- #% increased physical damage
- #% increased physical damage with bows
- #% increased projectile damage
- #% increased area damage (Blast Rain and Ice Shot both have AoE tag)

Others that can be considered are:

- #% attack speed
- #% attack and cast speed
- #% attack speed with bows

But I would try to only get one of those in the roll since the build already has a good attack speed.
Why Ricochet over Powerful Precision?
Chaining grants AoE but doesn't grant any additional benefits.
Powerful Precision also grants AoE and has the added bonus of increasing crit chance so it's both a damage and crowd control boost.
"
Zodr wrote:
Why Ricochet over Powerful Precision?
Chaining grants AoE but doesn't grant any additional benefits.
Powerful Precision also grants AoE and has the added bonus of increasing crit chance so it's both a damage and crowd control boost.

"
Xenovenom wrote:
Playing around with Powerful Precision Deadeye node and swapping back to what I have now I noticed a huge gain in potential damage because of how the build works.

The chain on Ice Shot make each arrow hit a target and bounce to the next, each hit creating a blast to enemies behind the target hit. With the extra chain from Deadeye ascendancy each hit will make that arrow have 3 more following hits so you have the potential to have up to 20 hits at varying angles within the group, each with its own backblast in the corresponding direction. Pierce arrows will hit multiple targets only if they are in line with the arrow. Unless you have the perfect scenario everytime you will have less hits and backblasts resulting in less dps overall.

With this in mind, you also have to consider that the tooltip only tracks the initial hit of Ice Shot and not any following chains, same with pierce, so even assuming it chains only once I can double the tooltip dps.

I hope this answers your question, if not just drop me another message.
Thanks for the answer, but it didn't really answer my question.

One of the main diffences here is that you seem to consider AoE as a dps increase, whereas I don't. A 100 dmg hit on 10 mobs is still a 100 dmg hit, not a 1000 dmg hit. You will not, realistically, hit the same mob more than once with chain very often, so it really doesn't provide any additional dmg.
Also, I don't think chain is overall better than pierce. Each has its advantages and disadvantages, depending on the situation, so I'm calling that a draw.
If the AoE potetntial is about the same, then the other defining factor is damage, and piercing is the clear winner here. Chaining provides you with exactly nothing besides a better AoE whereas piercing has added benefits.

Now for the most important point:
clearing most packs is pretty easy regardless of pierce or chain, so even if chain were overall better than pierce I would still pick the one that helps when help is needed, not the other way around. Picking chain seems to me like a win-more thing, which is a common trap in games (and other situations).

Consider the following question: which one would help the most when dealing with an unexpected strong mob? Nothing or X% bonus critical chance? I think the answer is fairly obvious :p

Side note: I love chaining and I would love for it to be as good as piercing but I just don't see it happening.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info