[2.6] Flash Freeze Ice Shot Ranger

I have always loved ice shot and with the new upcoming changes to the skill tree with 2.6 they have announced there will be a rework with ice nodes near the ranger side of the tree and that got me wanting to try this build as my league starter next league. However you said you tried raider and deadeye and was wondering what your pro and cons for each would be?
First, I'm sorry it took so long to respond to these posts. I was taking a break during the slowest part of the league.

"
Angeman7 wrote:
I'm playing a level 87 ranger in Breach with this build and while trash mobs and elite are a joke up to T12 maps, I have a really hard time with some bosses.

For example I can't even finish the merciless lab : I get hit by Izaro once, but my life goes down so fast that I try to run away and get hit by a spike or whatever and boom already dead… I only play the game for one month so clearly I don't know much yet but I'm sure I'm doing something wrong as merciless lab shouldn't be so hard to complete.
I know I'm not very skillful but I think I have quite decent stuff so can you guys look at my gear and tree below and tell me if there are some obvious changes to make ? Or any advice on how to deal with Izaro easily ?

I know what you're talking about, the build really requires some good manual dodging when in a boss fight in order to survive. As far as Izaro himself, once you know the fight well you can predict his attacks and avoid them completely but the mechanics behind Evasion are basically you are eventually guaranteed to take a hit which makes manual dodging much more important.

"
Miazga wrote:
Hi Guys,

Sooo, I've seen this guide and instantly got interested, as way way back I had an ice shot ranger but done in a completely different way.
Anyway I was thinking to build it around raider ascendancy, with max frenzy charges. I've modified the tree a bit to grab a bit more life and all the frenzy nodes.

The weapon of my choice would be either Lioneye's glare, chinsol or nuro harp (yes i know its kinda shit, but its all cold and could be interesting to go full retard mode on elemental - this would require to swap 4 ascendancy points from avatar of chase to avatar of veil).

anyway here is the tree:

The concept sounds good but I don't know how well it would work without heavy crit investment on gear since you are down one power charge on the tree and I would assume one from merciless bandits and it's also missing some from True Strike over by the jewel socket near Vaal Pact. As you drop crit you lower the ability to freeze which will gives enemies more chances to get to you and hit you causing you to move more. It will be interesting if it works though.
"
Runal wrote:
I have always loved ice shot and with the new upcoming changes to the skill tree with 2.6 they have announced there will be a rework with ice nodes near the ranger side of the tree and that got me wanting to try this build as my league starter next league. However you said you tried raider and deadeye and was wondering what your pro and cons for each would be?

I heard about those changes too but I'm going to keep my comments so far to myself. As I don't have a lot of cold damage nodes to begin with, those changes will have to make them batter than physical damage nodes since it's a bonus to cold and physical damage from Ice Shot. Also Blast rain would get no bonus from them making physical damage more important so It's hard to take a side until patch notes are released.

Each ascendancy I feel is more of a playstyle choice than a pro and con. The only difference is the ascendancy itself, The Deadeye gets attack damage and speed then an extra chain where the Raider gets easy frenzy charge generation and bonuses to attack damage and speed with movement speed through bonused charges. The Deadeye then gets bleed chance and more damage at range and not taking extra damage for moving while bleeding versus the Radiers continued bonus to damage and movement speed through onslaught.

I have fun playing both but I feel for general players Deadeye might be better because the Slivertounge is generally a cheap bow to upgrade to at endgame and with Rigwald's Quills becoming affordable through the new div card, the Deadeye's free chain will make it easy to play on a 4 link.
Ok a couple of questions. I was considering trying an ice shot build for the upcoming league and this guide got me interested.

1)I'd like to ask what would you add as a 6th gem once you got a 6l bow-armor?

2)Isn't Curse on Hit supposed to be linked with an attack in addition to the linked curse? How do you get Assasin's Mark to work?

Sorry if both have been asked before but it seems the build has quite the attention and 13 pages was a lot to comb through.
"
Lamogias wrote:
Ok a couple of questions. I was considering trying an ice shot build for the upcoming league and this guide got me interested.

2)Isn't Curse on Hit supposed to be linked with an attack in addition to the linked curse? How do you get Assasin's Mark to work?

Sorry if both have been asked before but it seems the build has quite the attention and 13 pages was a lot to comb through.

Assassin's Mark is linked with Herald of Ice thereby letting the damage that Herald of Ice causes curse the enemies. It basically auto-pilot for the curse. For the 6L you can choose to do something like Ice Bite or Cold Penetration.
"
Gana7 wrote:

Assassin's Mark is linked with Herald of Ice thereby letting the damage that Herald of Ice causes curse the enemies. It basically auto-pilot for the curse. For the 6L you can choose to do something like Ice Bite or Cold Penetration.

Wow had no idea it would work this way! Thank you very much.
"
Gana7 wrote:
"
Lamogias wrote:

This is correct. Also I would also look at Weapon Elemental Damage or Physical Projectile Attack Damage.
Hello there, great build from In_you_FACE and thank you Xenovenom for your efforts in making it crystal clear for a newbie like me, it's been a few days now that I've been lurking the ranger forum watching out for a cool bow build, this would be my first and I can't wait for 2.6 which is just around the corner!

Now introductions aside..
One critical point eludes me, how do I level with a ranger? :D
I have only ever played Spell witch or Melee Marauder, I've been looking over youtube for any tips on leveling a bow based character and the little I find is complaints of how lacking / slow it is..
I have basic knowledge of crafting physical bows or +1 to skill level depending on which skill I'm going to use but everything else is very lackluster really.

I'm also planning on a fresh Legacy league start so I reckon leveling items won't be at hand reliably or cheap either.

Should I like.. level it with totem or other cheap yet powerful skills? If so which ones?

I know this might be asking much as explaining leveling can be quite vexing, so if you have any quick and dirty guidelines to follow I'd appreciate it a lot, and maybe others that are like me.
Or if there's any guide out there for leveling that work for rangers too.

Cheers and thanks again!

Only videos I found so far are a 4 years old ZiggyD ranger guide and another that relies heavily on uniques for leveling, doesn't look good lol.
Sob.. another guide I found is outdated as most skills have been had their level requirements adjusted to higher values.
Last edited by torokfremen on Feb 28, 2017, 5:58:31 AM
"
torokfremen wrote:
Hello there, great build from In_you_FACE and thank you Xenovenom for your efforts in making it crystal clear for a newbie like me, it's been a few days now that I've been lurking the ranger forum watching out for a cool bow build, this would be my first and I can't wait for 2.6 which is just around the corner!

Now introductions aside..
One critical point eludes me, how do I level with a ranger? :D
I have only ever played Spell witch or Melee Marauder, I've been looking over youtube for any tips on leveling a bow based character and the little I find is complaints of how lacking / slow it is..
I have basic knowledge of crafting physical bows or +1 to skill level depending on which skill I'm going to use but everything else is very lackluster really.

I'm also planning on a fresh Legacy league start so I reckon leveling items won't be at hand reliably or cheap either.

Should I like.. level it with totem or other cheap yet powerful skills? If so which ones?

I know this might be asking much as explaining leveling can be quite vexing, so if you have any quick and dirty guidelines to follow I'd appreciate it a lot, and maybe others that are like me.

Cheers and thanks again!

Only videos I found so far are a 4 years old ZiggyD ranger guide and another that relies heavily on uniques for leveling, doesn't look good lol.
Sob.. another guide I found is outdated as most skills have been had their level requirements adjusted to higher values.

Im converting from Diablo and this build reminds me of a DH multishot build. I am also wondering what skills should I use to level.
"
DrunkBall101 wrote:
"
torokfremen wrote:

Im converting from Diablo and this build reminds me of a DH multishot build. I am also wondering what skills should I use to level.

This will be difficult to explain atm as they are about to change the Ranger side of the passive tree quiet extensively. Anything specific I say may change altogether but in general I level it as a bow user.

One of the first skills I grab is Shrapnel Shot which you get for just getting to Lioneye's Watch. It will help early on since most enemies will want to be close and that skill is great at close range, especially once you get Lesser Multiple Projectiles. I carry on with that skill adding bow support gems to it until level 38 when I get Chain. I also grab an Ice Shot from act one when I get Shrapnel Shot and I put Ice Shot in another weapon in my second weapon slot so it can level until level 38. Once I have Chain I swap Ice Shot in as my primary attack and go to the end of the game with it. Also remember to grab Barrage from act one as your single target skill and Blast Rain will replace that in act three.

Siege Ballista can also be a good partner to help level after the Breaking Some Eggs quest.
Last edited by Xenovenom on Feb 28, 2017, 11:35:14 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info