What is Desync? (A thorough explanation)

"
Charan wrote:
Sorry to hear that. Please don't become a troll. Sincerely asking that. We see it happen too often, where people get jaded and tired and take it out on the forum and the moderators. Please, please don't.

Indeed. Take it from me, I've done this on other websites. I know how easy it is to fall into those sorts of habits.

My advice: just put down the game, wait until full release, wait one more week, and then try to play it.
"
thescyphozoa wrote:
"
Charan wrote:
Sorry to hear that. Please don't become a troll. Sincerely asking that. We see it happen too often, where people get jaded and tired and take it out on the forum and the moderators. Please, please don't.

Indeed. Take it from me, I've done this on other websites. I know how easy it is to fall into those sorts of habits.

My advice: just put down the game, wait until full release, wait one more week, and then try to play it.

I don't see how this is helpful when this issue is apparently not going to go away
I can understand that, deteego. I'm still waiting for the Singapore server to get back to its former state, and then we'll see.

This is probably why I've never been a serious gamer. Too used to shit ping and thus not really caring how well or poorly I do. Well, used to get great ping when I lived in the States but the mentality of just not caring was ingrained by then.

I have no doubt that I were at the merciless+maps level and desync kept getting me, I'd be a very unhappy camper too, but like I said, I'm used to this sort of thing and playing against it.

It shouldn't be necessary but what is, is. If GGG screwed their netcode, so be it. They will pay for that, but I still find ways to enjoy a flawed game if the core of that game appeals to me.

Lord, I cannot begin to describe some of the bugs and shit I've put up with in the past 20 or so years just because I really liked a game.

In the end, whether or not you play a game has to be a personal choice and of course you will feel your reasons are totally justified. Understanding that, I cannot and will not disagree.

But I won't blame GGG either, because like I said, if they've made the wrong call, they'll pay for it. My blame won't matter diddly squat then.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Feb 21, 2013, 2:28:21 AM
"
Charan wrote:
I can understand that, deteego. I'm still waiting for the Singapore server to get back to its former state, and then we'll see.

This is probably why I've never been a serious gamer. Too used to shit ping and thus not really caring how well or poorly I do. Well, used to get great ping when I lived in the States but the mentality of just not caring was ingrained by then.

I have no doubt that I were at the merciless+maps level and desync kept getting me, I'd be a very unhappy camper too, but like I said, I'm used to this sort of thing and playing against it.

It shouldn't be necessary but what is, is. If GGG screwed their netcode, so be it. They will pay for that, but I still find ways to enjoy a flawed game if the core of that game appeals to me.

Lord, I cannot begin to describe some of the bugs and shit I've put up with in the past 20 or so years just because I really liked a game.

In the end, whether or not you play a game has to be a personal choice and of course you will feel your reasons are totally justified. Understanding that, I cannot and will not disagree.

But I won't blame GGG either, because like I said, if they've made the wrong call, they'll pay for it. My blame won't matter diddly squat then.

I can't really disagree with this, I just have a lower tolerance then you do (and in my opinion, the bugs of this game are actually effecting its core, since there is a very strong premise of not dying and being able react very quickly)

In fact an aRPG called Sacred 2 pretty much suffered the same fate, they had bugs, the problem with Sacred 2 was that the bugs actually effected the core gameplay. The game turned into a flop and the company that made the game went into administration

Every game has bugs, thats obviously a given. Its when bugs effect actual core gameplay that eyebrows get raised and curse words gets written in the forums more often then they should
Last edited by deteego on Feb 21, 2013, 2:36:55 AM
...I still play Sacred 2, with the community patch 1.20. Fun game.

So yeah, I guess my tolerance is probably ridiculously high. Maybe because I'm an older gamer and remember buying $100 games in the days before the internet that *didn't work* straight out of the box, maybe just because I like to see both sides of every argument as clearly as possible even though I obviously have my own set of beliefs.

Either way, I think we've reached an impasse if nothing else. :)
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
deteego wrote:
"
thescyphozoa wrote:
"
Charan wrote:

I don't see how this is helpful when this issue is apparently not going to go away

You're taking a technically worded statement and either being deliberately obtuse with it, or just plain dumb. It cannot "go away" because desync exists to some extent in ALL client/server games. It can be MITIGATED to the point where it is on par with the other client/server games and you won't feel it any worse in PoE than you do in those other games once it is mitigated.
Please familiarize yourself with the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory (GIFT) - http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Realize that the only part of the equation you can affect in the GIFT is the audience. Remove the audience and the trolls merely rant at the air.
"

You're taking a technically worded statement and either being deliberately obtuse with it, or just plain dumb. It cannot "go away" because desync exists to some extent in ALL client/server games. It can be MITIGATED to the point where it is on par with the other client/server games and you won't feel it any worse in PoE than you do in those other games once it is mitigated.

Please learn to read my posts before commenting on them
Well done, sir.
Available to mediate cross-league trades and mirror services. Send me a PM here or in-game.
IGN: SpudOfDoom | The Exiled - Path Of Exile's oldest clan
"
deteego wrote:
"

What part did I fail to read? It's 2:30 am here, so there is a possibility, but all I'm taking away from your posts is "waaah, it can't be fixed! It's hopeless!" and you never talk about what mitigating the problems might mean for playability.
Please familiarize yourself with the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory (GIFT) - http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Realize that the only part of the equation you can affect in the GIFT is the audience. Remove the audience and the trolls merely rant at the air.
"
"
deteego wrote:
"

What part did I fail to read? It's 2:30 am here, so there is a possibility, but all I'm taking away from your posts is "waaah, it can't be fixed! It's hopeless!" and you never talk about what mitigating the problems might mean for playability.

Again read my posts

The mitigation (which was mentioned by the OP) is syncing the server and client at every X interval. It was also mentioned in that post that this method is ridiculously expensive (and I agree), since every single client in the world playing PoE would have to sync with the PoE servers

If they use the current model (that is, there are 2 states, the client state and the server state, and both synchronize every now and then), then the only way to mitigate this problem is to sync more often, which is incredibly expensive (in the computing context of the term)

Its not me going 'waaaa it can't be fixed', the various posts by the moderators already confirmed that this problem is here to stay unless GGG rewrite the entire fundamental netcode of PoE so it uses a different sync system.

GGG claiming that every game has desync problems is what is obtuse, its obtuse because the server(state)-client model actually removes the possibility of desyncs. Its not possible to desync if the game state is just on the server, because there is no state on the client, the only form of desync would be a disconnect (which means you are not connected to the server)

Almost every real time game focused on multiplayer (and in non realtime games its pretty much irrelevant) has used the server state -> client model, regardless of how sensitive the game is in realtime. If the game happens to be non persistant (like FPS's), then using the state on client -> server model is also applicable (its basically the reverse). The reason why this is happening is state is being maintained on both server and client (it has to, state needs to be on the server because the server has to keep track of your exp and items and whatnot)

Im saying that GGG can't fix this problem from a realistic perspective, because GGG having to change the entire netcode, as mentioned previously is most likely out of the question

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info