What is Desync? (A thorough explanation)

"
If the website notified me when my posts were quoted, you'd probably see me more often. I just hate wading through threads to find replies.

Thats why I kinda subscribe to 3-4 threads at any given time. And I usually stick to them until I either give up and move on, or until it dies/gets locked. Though I tend to post everywhere at once sometimes. I have been known to be sporadic like that....it just requires patience to acquire all your old threads. I like the little red button and seeing my name as last post...makes me feel safe no one has replied either.
'It is good to contact a moderator if you feel someone is being a twat' Charan, Forum Moderator

Sometimes, we have to cross a ditch.
Sometimes, we have to cross an ocean.-Rhys, GGG
Last edited by Zalm on Feb 20, 2013, 10:37:57 PM
"
StinkFinger wrote:
Since you and that mkaddage guy seem to stalk my posts, I think I've gotten a good grasp on your thought process.

awwww, stinky, I didn't get a mention? *sadface*

And here you are, using my own 'stop copy/pasting' line against someone else? It's almost like you're all grown up now!

(oh and the monkey/stick/ass thing was GREAT, got a solid chuckle out of me) :-P
Please familiarize yourself with the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory (GIFT) - http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Realize that the only part of the equation you can affect in the GIFT is the audience. Remove the audience and the trolls merely rant at the air.
"

I think you would have gotten a mention had your name not be so damn ridiculous to remember.
'It is good to contact a moderator if you feel someone is being a twat' Charan, Forum Moderator

Last edited by Zalm on Feb 20, 2013, 10:39:01 PM
"
"
StinkFinger wrote:
Since you and that mkaddage guy seem to stalk my posts, I think I've gotten a good grasp on your thought process.

And here you are, using my own 'stop copy/pasting' line against someone else? It's almost like you're all grown up now!

(oh and the monkey/stick/ass thing was GREAT, got a solid chuckle out of me) :-P

You're generally more "friendly" and a "tad" more reasonable... But if you want a shout out, just ask.

Happy to oblige.
Last edited by StinkFinger on Feb 20, 2013, 10:39:39 PM
"
Zalm wrote:
"

I think you would have gotten a mention had your name not be so damn ridiculous to remember.

Yeah well if *someone* hadn't taken my usual "crystalis" and forced me to add my 'last name' to my name, it wouldn't be 'so damn ridiculous to remember'. :-P
Please familiarize yourself with the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory (GIFT) - http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Realize that the only part of the equation you can affect in the GIFT is the audience. Remove the audience and the trolls merely rant at the air.
Why you acting like Zalm took your name? You know...for that matter....Give me Zalm in the game! I hate having my main and my account not sync up properly.

Last edited by Zalm on Feb 20, 2013, 10:51:49 PM
"
StinkFinger wrote:
"
Jim_Fear wrote:
fashions.

Besides, I think this thread is read worthy, and I don't want to derail it for the OP.

Of course you do... You guys love the "apologetic" threads.

I sure do love the "bolded" line in the OP...

HEY GUYS EVERY GAME HAS DESYNCS... ITS OK.

If every game had desyncs like this game did, the online gaming industry would have been dead 20 years ago.

apologetic......

you know you should choose your words more carefully and not throw them around when they are not appropriate or they will start to loose their meaning and no one will take you seriously.
This will help a lot of people understand why Desync happens and why its so hard to fix. He made no excuses just explained how the game works. You should really knock that chip off your shoulder you know. it just makes you just come off as extremely bitter.

You last line there is laughable too I used to play online games like crazy with 500+ ping before high speed internet was the norm and still managed to have a lot of fun, in fact I remember this game called counter strike and quake being pretty popular even though some of us had to lead are targets quite a bit to make up for our bad connections.
"
StinkFinger wrote:

It's sorta like watching monkeys playing with sticks... You think they know what they're doing... Then they shove the stick up their ass.

Had to lol at that - you say that last part like shoving sticks up our asses is a bad thing!

Seriously, Stinkmeister, you have to get over the paranoid persecution angle though - you forget you inflicted your petulant posts on us first. One can't help but notice and comment when one sees the same rant pop up on the regular, mostly unchallenged (and when one is a troll troller).

I promise I'm not stalking you - unless you're going to join us in stick-in-ass ritualistic funtime?
IGN: ScrubcoreRulezBitch
Alt: HardcorePwnsScrubcore
Last edited by mkmaddage on Feb 20, 2013, 10:56:09 PM
Okay, so now that we know what desync is, how can we combat it? Because -- although Stinkfinger is indeed too stuck in entitlement mentality to enter problem-solving mode -- his criticism is nevertheless extremely valid. If anything, tpapp reinforces his point: in a strategic positioning game like PoE, the amount of desync present is at best hugely offputting, and at worst completely unacceptable.

Some questions:
* how much information is sent when the game state changes? Are multiple empty/unchanged fields communicated in addition to the changed fields? How much space do headers/footers/labels occupy?
* what kind of compression, if any, is used on client/server communication? Would it make a significant difference?
* what kind of encryption is used on client/server communication? Could a different encryption method be more compact without exposing significant additional vulnerabilities? How often are keys changed, and if often what percentage of bandwidth does it use?

I'm not exactly an expert in this field. I'm actually pretty much talking out my ass. For example, I know certificate authorities exist, but I have no idea how they work. The point is, if you're getting bogged down because you can't say everything fast enough, it's a virtue to be terse yet succinct.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Feb 20, 2013, 11:15:51 PM
"
derbefrier wrote:
He made no excuses just explained how the game works. You should really knock that chip off your shoulder you know.

What?

"
In Diablo 3, for example, you have a less extreme version of this method. Enemies can overlap and move through each other which makes pathing about a billion times easier. Your attacks are big enough that where the enemy is on the server doesn't really matter because he'll get hit regardless. The areas are rather large with plenty of room to move and few obstructions (even the narrow corridors really aren't very narrow). Your character's positioning simply doesn't matter a whole lot in general. Even in Diablo 3 you can desync and rubberband. Often, there's so much going on on screen that you don't notice or it doesn't matter because you always hit everything anyway.

GGG wanted to make a much more tactical game where the environment could be used to your advantage. A game where funneling enemies through doorways was a viable tactic and where getting surrounded and trapped in a corner become a scary proposition. Where tactical positioning was just as important as the gear on your character. To accomplish this, GGG can't really on many of the things that I just pointed out that D3 relies to hide desync. As an unfortunate result, PoE is more susceptible to desync and when it does happen it has more significant impact on the player's gameplay.

These entire paragraphs are a bunch of nonsense
I played Diablo 3 for months and not once did I desync
The environments in D3 arent any less tactical than the ones here
You can funnel enemies in D3 just fine without desync

And heres the thing, even if what he were saying was true, it would still have a been a terrible choice by GGG

"Oh lets make this "tactical" ARPG, and implement a method that completely ruins the gameplay"

What it sounds like to me is no one in the GGG team knows how to fix it and they should hire someone who does (isnt that what the Micro Transitions are for?)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info