[3.8] What a Shocking Tri-Element Trapper! [Fire/Ice Trap build][UberAtziri/Shaper Video]

Okay here is my update:
just reached lvl 68 and tried Tinkerskin vs Carcass (ofc same links etc.). At 3 frenzy charges (Tinkerskin) im dealing ~1k damage more with my firetrap than with Carcass rn. Im aware that its as you mentioned very unreliable and you are absolutely right its not that easy to gain the frenzy charges. In fact i tried rushing through a4 dried lake as fast as possible, and even there its pretty hard to sustain on frenzy charges. Im still not sure what body armor to use, Tinkerskin got way more life, better evasion+energy shield, the cd recovery speed is not really noticable, but phasing+hp+energy shield recovery feels veeeeery smooth.
I probably run a while with my Tinkerskin, tho i dont have the currency to 5l it as my Carcass yet, but im just getting rekt pretty fast in maps right now and i just need the tankyness/life recover.
Great guide so far, having a lot of fun, clearing speed is insane, my only problem is the low hp/energy shield which will be better when i can finally use my new items, the second problem is that my fire trap is not really dealing much solo target damage. The burning damage is cool and all but somehow the damage kinda sucks. Hope the new items will fix that.
Im asking a lot of questions, sry for that ^^
Im currently using the shock nova as the "main" skill for clearing the trash mobs. Links: Shock nova-cluster-mine and trap-inc. crit strike. Somehow the ice traps deal way less damage (and i know that the tooltip doesnt show the increased damage for the cold penetration gem) and also is the aoe of ice trap somehow veery small. Shock nova is about 2-3 times bigger. My ice traps links are the following: Ice trap-cold pen-cluster-trap and mine. Will it be a problem if i continue using the shock nova as a main spell for clearing, or should i swap to the ice trap?
And also is there a way to buff my ice trap w/o using conc. aoe?
Last edited by OuZz on Aug 18, 2017, 11:55:21 AM
Lvl 70 on this build. So far:

Pro's = Pretty much melt everything with the insane DPS

Con's = Nearly get 1 shot from every boss. Can't take much dmg at all. Move slower than a slug. I don't understand how you move so fast in the video? But I am using all recommended gear and I legit move no faster than I did at lvl 1.

Not sure how to fix this?
"
MisoPhat wrote:
Lvl 70 on this build. So far:

Pro's = Pretty much melt everything with the insane DPS

Con's = Nearly get 1 shot from every boss. Can't take much dmg at all. Move slower than a slug. I don't understand how you move so fast in the video? But I am using all recommended gear and I legit move no faster than I did at lvl 1.

Not sure how to fix this?

You can try to use Tinkerskin until you get max Life on all your gear + jewels. I did so and it made me a lot tankier.
To get more movement speed i would recommend you to use a Rotgut unique Flask, since it has insane movement speed + gains flask charges when you crit, so its up almost all the time as long as you keep one shotting trash mobs.

Also lightning warp with faster casting and less duration is pretty awesome to move faster.
@OuZz

I agree that Tinkerskin is better for survival than Carcass, albeit I really don't think it is that much. Use it if you like to, although I would suggest a rare armor if you really want to go full survival.

Fire Trap should get a lot more powerful when you link it to 5 gems and also the higher the level of it is. Trust me, around your level, each gem level is over 1k increase in damage.

Shock Nova might say it deals more damage, but, as you mentioned, the Cold Penetration does not get added to the shown damage. If you were to socket Added Cold Damage into it, oh, the numbers will show something much different! In fact, Added Cold Damage gets multiplied by 1.1 with Ice Trap, as shown by the Damage Effectiveness, while Shock Nova only gets a 0.6 multiplier with any socketed damage. The AoE got greatly nerfed from Ice Trap since 2.6(I think?), while Fire Trap somehow got a massive buff in its AoE (the splash is still huge despite Concentrated Effected socketed). Still, don't let the numbers fool you, Ice Trap is still more powerful than the Shock Nova Trap.

@MisoPhat

I assume you got Gear with not that much Life/ES on it, because otherwise this build survives hits others usually get 1-shot by. Also, higher Levels will also help you survive better. For the fast movement, get yourself a Quicksilver Flask with extra Movement uring Flask Effect rolled on top of it. That will allow you to breeze even quicker through maps!
Are there any other option for armour other than carcass jack? how about tinkerskin? Can you share your thoughts?
"
Are there any other option for armour other than carcass jack? how about tinkerskin? Can you share your thoughts?

Probably a Evasion/ES rare armour with plenty life, ES, etc. I shared my thoughts about Tinkerskin below the Updates for 3.0 runner.
Last edited by MrMoho on Aug 24, 2017, 9:51:22 AM
I enjoy the Shadow class but haven't played Saboteur. I'm going to try this out on HC SSF. I've made a few characters already so I have a couple items in my stash ready to use - like the bear trap shield and the trapper boots you recommended. I'll post how it goes later. Thanks for sharing your build.
Added another Gameplay Video of me killing the Chimera (and Bameth, I suppose). This one actually got some high Quality, too!
Anyone have any clever ideas for increased boss damage? I'm level 87 and my gear is mediocre, clearing trash on T12 maps (haven't played anything higher yet) is cake, and tons of fun too, but the map bosses take a little longer than I'd like. I party somewhat often with one of my friends who is playing the Frostbolt miner, and he does way more damage to the bosses than I do. It feels like an 80-20 split, or maybe worse to the point where it feels like I might as well not be there for the boss fight (I'm sure the Shock helps but he still melts them if I'm across the map).

I've never been one for making my own or modifying builds, but perhaps Explosive Expert in the Ascendancy tree would help? It feels like the Smoke doesn't happen enough or in favorable enough situations to really help, but maybe I'm underestimating it's defensive usefulness. Other ideas I've pulled from nowhere are dropping Clarity and the curse setup for the Clear Mind jewel (I imagine this will get me killed more often than I can figure in my head right now), or reaching for more Power Charges on the tree and using Inya's Epiphany (really just stumbled into this from looking at boots with high movespeed and ES, since my fourth link for Shock Nova was Increased Crit Damage even though I didn't really need it).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info