[3.8] What a Shocking Tri-Element Trapper! [Fire/Ice Trap build][UberAtziri/Shaper Video]

"
VictusBcb wrote:
I have one that's around level 83, just haven't posted a build guide myself ^_^

Heh, I like his name! And, yeah, I wasn't saying that there isn't anyone around with this type of build, I just never saw any guides around, which is a shame, since Tri-Ele Trappers are loads of fun to play while being viable!
Enjoying your build, have a few questions for you.
How do you manage your chaos damage? I'm not seeing any chaos resistances in your gear, do you just heal it out?
You mention fire trap procs big crits on top of the shock nova, yet Controlled Destruction Support gives -100% to critical strike chance. Are the crits coming from the burning status?
Is the idea of the fire trap to apply damage via the burning status and not it's initial blast?
Why use shock nova + traps support instead of the lightning trap, just because of the AOE shock of the nova?
Finally, in your gem leveling guide you mention that innervate increases the shock time, but I don't see this as a stat on the gem, is it really increasing the duration of shock? I feel like I'm having trouble getting affects to trigger within the shock time so I'm wondering if my shock duration is actually increased. That said, it's kind of hard to tell if mobs are shocked when they're also frozen and burning!
Thanks for making this build, it's a lot of fun to play. I stumbled onto "The Halcyon Jade Amulet" unique, which gives bonuses to freezing, and I'm loving the affect this is having on my ice traps.
"
Noomnahor wrote:
Enjoying your build, have a few questions for you.
How do you manage your chaos damage? I'm not seeing any chaos resistances in your gear, do you just heal it out?
You mention fire trap procs big crits on top of the shock nova, yet Controlled Destruction Support gives -100% to critical strike chance. Are the crits coming from the burning status?
Is the idea of the fire trap to apply damage via the burning status and not it's initial blast?
Why use shock nova + traps support instead of the lightning trap, just because of the AOE shock of the nova?
Finally, in your gem leveling guide you mention that innervate increases the shock time, but I don't see this as a stat on the gem, is it really increasing the duration of shock? I feel like I'm having trouble getting affects to trigger within the shock time so I'm wondering if my shock duration is actually increased. That said, it's kind of hard to tell if mobs are shocked when they're also frozen and burning!
Thanks for making this build, it's a lot of fun to play. I stumbled onto "The Halcyon Jade Amulet" unique, which gives bonuses to freezing, and I'm loving the affect this is having on my ice traps.

Well, if you get gear that also increases Chaos resistance, wear it! No Chaos resistance is not that much of a hassle, to be honest, but having it is always better! I just got unlucky with my gear and got none.

Controlled Destruction actually doesn't negate the crit Chance, but simply reduces it. To put it simple, if you have 150% increased crit chance and Controlled Destruction, you will end up with 50% increased crit chance.

Both, Fire Trap has great damage with it's blast and murders if you get the opponent a burn. The burning ground is also just a nice added feature.

Lightning Trap sucks, plain and simple. It takes forever to hit enemies with them, you need to link it with Pierce as it doesn't do that naturally, and the Damage is also just meh. Also, Lightning Trap does NOT count as an Area skill, but as a Projectile, so it doesn't get all those nodes increasing Area Damage/Splash (Probably the main reason it's so sucky for a trap). Shock Nova is instant, has a great splash and, unlike Lightning Trap, has a 20% chance to shock even without criting!

The quality of Innervate increases the duration of Shock, otherwise it just increases the chance to Shock. If you want to know whether or not you Shock your enemies, use Elemental Proliferation! With that Gem, it's greatly obvious if you Shock or not.

I'm glad you are enjoying the build! Also, that amulet isn't really all that great to use with this build, as you already will Blind enemies with your Ascendency skill and the Frost Damage only applies to the Frost Traps. I'd recommend an amulet with just pure Spell Damage and Crit instead.
Last edited by MrMoho on Dec 6, 2016, 10:14:29 AM
Hi

Just a question: you said that lightning trap is not good and use shock nova instead, correct?
In this case you boot gems are wrong (please have a look)?

Cheers
"
jesuseargo wrote:
Hi

Just a question: you said that lightning trap is not good and use shock nova instead, correct?
In this case you boot gems are wrong (please have a look)?

Cheers

Don't see anything wrong with it. It says Shock Nova + Trap (if you don't have Deerstalker yet) in the description and in the Gear Tab it also shows Shock Nova inside the boots.

Do you mean Vaal Lightning Trap? If so, that is an different skill entirely that should only be put into a single link like an Unset Ring while still keeping the Shock Nova Trap.
Last edited by MrMoho on Dec 7, 2016, 4:17:24 AM
Hi. Under gem setup for fire trap you have CD listed twice. :)
Last edited by Fuglen on Dec 17, 2016, 12:18:28 AM
Any chance of uploading a gameplay vid? I'm currently playing fire nova mine, but I might switch to this guide instead!
Hi!
I've been enjoying the build but i have some questions,
how do you use the Born in Shadow ascendancy nodes other than procing it by getting hit with a 25% chance?
Just FYI, you have controlled destruction listed twice in your gem setup. I think one of them is meant to be concentrated effect based on your gear.
Nice to see some people are still playing a variety of builds, especially now that most shadows play bladeflurry. I've never tried traps myself, so I'm looking forward to trying this build starting tomorrow but I have something of a debate between choosing TC or Enfeeble.

You see, I consider TC to be the best defensive curse for how it allows kiting, increases elemental status duration and such, but my PC can't handle some powerful moments from the game and freezes anyway every now and then, so in my case, enfeeble is more viable in case I can't control my character for a few seconds. The question at hand being: can't I just wear Doedre's Damning to have both curses active at all time, or is this build so mana hungry that it can't afford to run two blasphemy along with clarity? Because in which case, I could eventually get a Heretic's Veil... would that be enought to make it viable or should I really stick to just 1 curse?

I can't really make an estimate of how much mana it costs to use any skill from the build cause I've got no expirience whatsoever on traps or multi-cursing so I would like to know my limitations on this matter before diving into the leveling and all that good stuff.

Thank you in advance!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info