Hate Uber Lab

I just beat uber lab on my current character today. By all rights I should not be salty, but really, all I can think is "thank fucking Innocence I won't have to bother with that shit anymore". And when that's the way I think about a part of the game, I think we can safely say that it has failed to entertain me.

tl;dr uber lab is not fun
I don't mind the Lab. Hell, I rather enjoy it. But I despise running Uber Lab.

Here's some backstory. I have bad vision and slow reflexes. Most of the time I can work around this because I only have to worry about one of those problems - If I'm getting overwhelmed by visual clutter and I can no longer tell what's going on then I can back off and wait for things to calm down. If I'm forced to focus entirely on dodging attacks and not taking damage, then I'm usually fighting a boss or other large monster in an area already free of visual clutter and can see where I need to dodge to since not much else is going on.

Uber Lab is fine... until the third Izaro fight, which forces me to try and engage both of those mutually-exclusive-for-me skills. I have to keep track of a lot of moving objects plus Izaro's own spam and the Goddess's mortar bombardments while also dodging Izaro's heavy attacks and the myriad of traps. My build can handle the fight, I know it can. But I, as a player, cannot - There's too much going on, too much to keep track of, and I wind up walking into a trap or something because I'm trying to watch Izaro's attack patterns and lost track of where the Roomba was going to be, or I briefly got distracted by a brightly-colored aura appearing and got whacked by a mortar bombardment. It's incredibly frustrating since it's something I know is never going to go away or get any better.

I understand it's meant to be a challenge, but it's a challenge that pisses me off because I, personally, do not have the real-world capabilities required to finish it. If I'm ever going to do it I'm going to need to build a character that can face-tank the whole thing (which sucks since I tend to play Witches) or pay for a carry. There are other bosses that give me this same problem, namely Kaom and Phase 2 Malachai, but I can at least overlevel them if I need to.

Needless to say, I usually just go without those last two points.
Last edited by Trylobyte on Feb 26, 2017, 2:18:33 PM
"
Trylobyte wrote:
I don't mind the Lab. Hell, I rather enjoy it. But I despise running Uber Lab.

Here's some backstory. I have bad vision and slow reflexes. Most of the time I can work around this because I only have to worry about one of those problems - If I'm getting overwhelmed by visual clutter and I can no longer tell what's going on then I can back off and wait for things to calm down. If I'm forced to focus entirely on dodging attacks and not taking damage, then I'm usually fighting a boss or other large monster in an area already free of visual clutter and can see where I need to dodge to since not much else is going on.

Uber Lab is fine... until the third Izaro fight, which forces me to try and engage both of those mutually-exclusive-for-me skills. I have to keep track of a lot of moving objects plus Izaro's own spam and the Goddess's mortar bombardments while also dodging Izaro's heavy attacks and the myriad of traps. My build can handle the fight, I know it can. But I, as a player, cannot - There's too much going on, too much to keep track of, and I wind up walking into a trap or something because I'm trying to watch Izaro's attack patterns and lost track of where the Roomba was going to be, or I briefly got distracted by a brightly-colored aura appearing and got whacked by a mortar bombardment. It's incredibly frustrating since it's something I know is never going to go away or get any better.

I understand it's meant to be a challenge, but it's a challenge that pisses me off because I, personally, do not have the real-world capabilities required to finish it. If I'm ever going to do it I'm going to need to build a character that can face-tank the whole thing (which sucks since I tend to play Witches) or pay for a carry. There are other bosses that give me this same problem, namely Kaom and Phase 2 Malachai, but I can at least overlevel them if I need to.

Needless to say, I usually just go without those last two points.

I know exactly how you feel. There comes a point where my eyes simply can't handle all the visual clutter and just lose focus.

I found the best way to deal with this is to not worry too much about what's going on all over the place, and just focus on staying alive, moving out of dangerous spots, and constantly spamming AoE skills in the boss' general direction.

"Skill".
Last edited by suszterpatt on Feb 26, 2017, 5:13:47 PM
"
Trylobyte wrote:
It's incredibly frustrating since it's something I know is never going to go away or get any better.

Dont know if its "going away" but the more often you do it (without psychological negative attachement) the better you will get at it.
Note that I am not "whiteknighting" here as I dont have the skills myself to do it. At least not safely in HC. So I only do easy days/mods with gear/setup which can facetank him.

"
Trylobyte wrote:

If I'm ever going to do it I'm going to need to build a character that can face-tank the whole thing (which sucks since I tend to play Witches)

If you know "the rules" and are willing to prepare (equipment and some regrets) you can turn any 85+ character into something which can safely facetank unbuffed Uber Izaro.

"
Trylobyte wrote:

There are other bosses that give me this same problem, namely Kaom and Phase 2 Malachai

Circling works very well vs Kaom - esp with Temp Chains & chill. Unfortunately this probably wouldnt help much because shortly after there is Malachai. And Malachai is dangerous and requires skills or zerg or serious outlevel/outgear.
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
I am no huge fan of the Uber Lab, but I have managed it with several less than optimal builds. The one thing that I have found helps the most is to just stack a whack of physical damage reduction. It really takes the edge of Izaro and the traps.

If your build can function at all with an armour chest-piece, any Brass Dome will make a huge difference by itself, especially if paired with a determination aura. Last league a Brass Dome could be had for about 6c. Use it just for the Izaro fights, then go back to regular gear.

I know this won't help much with ES builds (where the huge amount of ES is lacking) , but it can help with many others.
"
I am no huge fan of the Uber Lab, but I have managed it with several less than optimal builds. The one thing that I have found helps the most is to just stack a whack of physical damage reduction. It really takes the edge of Izaro and the traps.

If your build can function at all with an armour chest-piece, any Brass Dome will make a huge difference by itself, especially if paired with a determination aura. Last league a Brass Dome could be had for about 6c. Use it just for the Izaro fights, then go back to regular gear.

I know this won't help much with ES builds (where the huge amount of ES is lacking) , but it can help with many others.

With strong DPS ES build can just rely on flasks for phys mitigation vs Izaro.
Otherwise belt, boots, shield and sustainable flask are often the best slots for making low DPS 1H ES build more "lab compatible".
Spoiler
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info