[2.5] Burning Vortex Build - Double Degen Tank Elementalist - Shaper Viable - HC or SC

Hey this is a guide for my current Breach League build. I also played this build in Essence League to the mid 90's on HC and SC. (Viable from around level 30 with Vortex)

The build uses a combination of the Elementalist Ascendancy and Chance to Ignite Gem to maintain a high chance to ignite. Vortex will Ignite/Burn and degen the monsters with the cold degen at the same time for a double DoT effect. I use Flameblast as my single target DPS for a much higher damage burn and safer positioning.

Here is a list of what the build can offer.
1. VERY CHEAP. 1 Pyre ring is all you need to get started.

2. TANKY. 7k Life, 2k E/S, 8.5k Armour and 500+ Life Regen with up to 69% Block.
(58% block chance, 61% with Tempest Shield, 66% with The Anvil and 69% with both)

3. DUAL CURSE. Orb of Storms with Curse on Hit will apply Dual curses which makes the build very defensive with Temp Chains/Enfeeble (Or higher DPS with other curses)

4. HIGH DAMAGE. I have over 100% Fire penetration from Ascendancy and gems. Elemental Equilibrium and Overload (from Orb of Storms proccing) and all other multipliers provide a huge DPS boost for little investment.

5. VERSATILE. From Lab running to high level maps this build can adapt to most situations with small changes to Auras/Uniques and Gems.
I have killed the Shaper several times with small changes to the core build.

Demonstration Video's

Shaper Kill

Shaper Fight - Grand Spectrum Version SC Build
This is a Shaper run on a modified version of the build using 8 Grand Spectrum Jewel's.
A similiar setup can be achieved by Dual wielding Doryani's Catalyst and using Izaro's Turmoil Jewel's instead of Grand Spectrums for alot cheaper.
https://youtu.be/kh0BvjETkbk

Guardian Kill Video's

Pit of the Chimera - SC Build
My first solo kill of this boss, Deathless fight would have been alot quicker with a cull setup.
https://youtu.be/1ThG9XY4qwI

Lair of The Hydra - SC Build
My first solo kill of this boss, I got through deathless with a few close call's. Character was level 91, focusing mainly on Flameblast single target for these fight's.
https://youtu.be/GFB87A-1GrQ

Core Map - Tier 15 Boss Kill's - SC Build
This video is of my first Core map attempt in Essence league, It was a corrupted map which had 43% Monster Life, Crit chance and multi and added fire damage.
https://youtu.be/yZ4Y28027-g

Oba's Cursed Trove Unique Map - SC Build
This map scales from area level 78-83 along the way with a good variety of monster's, This was my first run at the map on this character, level 90 in ESC.
https://youtu.be/ZnQydifYXxw

Uber Lab run with Argus Kill - SC Build
Level 89 character, Uber Lab farming demonstration for gauging boss damage and also showing a method of killing Argus who can't be ignited.
https://youtu.be/SVyLEXmXvEo

Tier 12 Estuary - Double Boss Vulnerability - SC Build
Level 86 in this video, just showing some progress on the SC variant as I level up.
https://youtu.be/_WfsefBKuRs

Tier 9 Promenade - HC Build
This is a basic Promenade map clear just so people have something to look at of the guide, I will upload more in the future
https://youtu.be/s8I7brUkhCE

Tier 11 Shaped Strand - HC Build
This video is of an 80% Fire Resist map just so people can see how the build performs at such a disadvantage.
https://youtu.be/yCkXh9tFZUI

Playstyle and Skill's Usage

General Use of Skill's

Orb of Storms - Use this to open fight's, it will proc Elemental Overload, Elemental Equilibirum and apply Dual Curses with Curse on Hit support. With a Dark Seer the global blind is useful for Orb of Storms constant pulsing.

Vortex - This is the main AoE clearing skill, use it to ignite and chill large packs and to provide secondary DPS when using Flameblast as single target. Dropping a Vortex before opening boxes or Essences is a useful utility.

Flameblast
- This is the main single target skill. Use this for bosses and strong rare's or for dangerous mob's that you want to keep range from.

Frost Bomb
- This skill will lower Cold Resist and Life Regen of monster's and is a nice option to have for tankier monster's. Using for Boxes/Essences is a useful utility.

Lightning Warp
- This will be our movement skill for going over gap's or avoiding some dangerous situation's.

War Cry / Decoy Totem - Any war cry or a Decoy Totem could be used here.
Decoy Totem has a very useful taunt for harder content and can make most boss fight's pretty easy.
Enduring Cry can be more useful for Lab run's for extra trap mitigation.

Various Skill Tree Versions

Below is a rough guide on building the early tree of this build.
Path 3 and 5 can be swapped around if you like. Taking the green path to Elemental Equilibrium when equipping Vortex/Flameblast is a big part of the build's damage (procced with orb of storms)

Hardcore Versions

This is a 60 point version of the tree for starting a new character on Hardcore

This is the level 90 Hardcore Variant which will give me 54% Block Chance. It can go up to 62% with The Anvil, 57% With Tempest Shield and 65% with The Anvil and Tempest Shield.

This is the level 93-95ish(level 90 with less life) Hardcore Variant which will give me 58% Block Chance. It can go up to 66% with The Anvil, 61% With Tempest Shield and 69% with The Anvil and Tempest Shield. This Tree is for around Level 95 or so.

Dual Curse This is a how i obtain dual curse when I don't have a corrupted amulet, I give up the 2 jewels that cost 2 points each and 1 passive node for the 5 points needed on the tree for dual curse.

Standard Versions

Dual Curse This tree is how i obtain dual curse when I don't have a corrupted amulet, I give up the 2 jewels that cost 2 points each and 1 passive node for the 5 points needed on the tree for dual curse.

This is a level 90ish version with more AoE and damage but less defences

This is my current Essence Standard League Tree (level 92)

Ascendancy

Elementalist

The ascendancy choices are the same for Hardcore and Standard league's
This is my preferred order and selection of ascendancy points

Shaper of Desolation - Rotating Ignite, Shock and Chill (100% chance to apply)

Beacon of Ruin - Elemental Proliferation

Pendulum of Destruction - 100% Elemental Damage and 25% AoE 40% of the time

Mastermind of Discord - 25% Fire Penetration (after using Orb of Storm's so 100% uptime)

I don't use Paragon of Calamity because the reflect reduction isn't enough for reflect maps and single target reflect is no issue unless I full stack Flameblast

I don't use Liege of the Primordial because I use a Chaos Golem which gain's no effect

Gearing Information

Budget Gearing Info

Weapon
Rare sceptre with Fire Damage and Spell Damage will be fine for leveling
Rare wands with Fire Damage and Spell Damage should only be the option if a sceptre isn't available, a wand will still be fine for leveling.
Avoid Flat Cold and Fire Damage to spells on weapons to avoid messing with Elemental Equilibrium.

Shield
Crest of Perandus (Unique) Will be fine til act 4 Merciless
Rare shields with Life, Spell Damage and Resists will be a good alternative for Rathpith Globe until one is obtainable.

Chest Armour
Cloak of Flame (Unique) will be fine for leveling as a 4 link until atleast after Cruel Difficulty.
Rare chest with Life and resists will be fine for leveling as a 4 link until atleast after Cruel Difficulty.
Switching to a 5 link rare chest to add Increased AoE for Act 4 Merciless Dried Lake farming will be the best option until being able to obtain a Carcass Jack.
Tabula Rasa (Unique) The 6 links can make leveling easier at the cost of some defenses but is still fine for standard leagues and even HC if you are careful.

Additional Curse
Windscream boot's and Doedre's Damning Ring can provide an additional curse alternative piece of gear without obtaining a corrupted amulet or spending skill point's on the tree.

Gem Links Setup

Numbered in order of preference.

Chest - 1.Vortex, 2.Chance to Ignite, 3.Fire Penetration, 4.Controlled Destruction 5.Increased AoE and 6.Cold to Fire gem as a 6th Link.

Gloves - 1.Flameblast, 2.Chance to Ignite, 3.Fire Penetration, 4.Concentrated Effect

Boots - 1.Orb of Storms, 2.Curse on Hit, 3.Enfeeble, 4.Temporal Chains

Helmet - 1.Grace, 2.Discipline and 3.Blood Magic, 4.Clarity Lvl 16 (seperate links with Vorici Bench)

Weapon - 1.Lightning Warp, 2.Frost Bomb, 3.Decoy Totem or a WarCry (Enduring, Rallying etc)

Shield - 1.Cast When Damage Taken, 2.Tempest Shield, 3.Chaos Golem

Weapon and Shield

Starting Weapons
Rare sceptre with Fire Damage and Spell Damage will be fine for leveling
Rare wands with Fire Damage and Spell Damage should only be the option if a sceptre isn't available, a wand will still be fine for leveling.
Avoid Flat Cold and Fire Damage to spells on weapons to avoid messing with Elemental Equilibrium.

End Game Weapon's

Doryani's Catalyst
Doryani's Catalyst is the higher DPS version weapon for this build, It provide's a huge amount of pure elemental damage, small amounts of cast speed and crit chance and a little life leech aswell. These weapons become very cheap on standard league's.

Dark Seer
Dark Seer Sceptre is a solid choice for Hardcore, the Energy Shield and Mana gained on kill makes general mapping very smooth. This weapon is league specific to beyond so can only be obtained by divination card's but the item is still very cheap. The global blind is also nice since I always use Orb of Storm's for Dual Cursing, Ele Overload and Ele Equilibrium.

Shield

Rathpith Globe
Rathpith Globe as my shield of choice because everything is beneficial and works well with the rest of the build. A rare shield will work fine for leveling and other unique shield's can fill the slot for certain situation's. Crest of Perandus will be a good leveling shield for cheap.

Aura's

I use Clarity, Herald of Thunder and Grace linked to level 3 Enlighten as my main Aura's when I am not using a Dark Seer Sceptre Setup

Another option is to run Discipline and Grace on mana, and Clarity with blood magic for a Higher up front ES pool and easier to maintain a higher level clarity without Enlighten investment etc.

Arctic Armour can be used instead of Grace to make Aura's easier to work but I would only recommend this for a standard league.

Different combination's and preferences can be used as you like and to suit what budget you have.

Body Armour

I use a Carcass Jack for the AoE and general defensive synergy with the build
Cloak of Flame is a good leveling chest as a 4 link, switching to a rare 5 link with Inc AoE gem is nice if you don't have a 4 or 5 link carcass jack.

Jewelry

The Amulet slot is where you can get +1 additional curse via corruption, this is the ideal end game amulet for this build.

Pyre ring is the one unique mandatory for the build, it gives good resist's and convert's all cold damage to fire.
Secondary ring slot is used to cover resists and stat requirements along with mana regen and life ideally.

Doedre's Damning Can be used as an alternative for obtaining an additional curse while leveling or even as a final piece of gear if you wanted.

Boots

Rare boots with 30% move speed along with life and resist are ideal. Hybrid Armour or Evasion and Energy Shield bases are ideal for correct gem colours.

Windscream Boots can be used as an alternative for obtaining an additional curse.

Gloves

Rare gloves with 80+ Life Dual resist and an open suffix for block chance are ideal for the highest block chance version of the build.
I had to spend 100+ chromes to get 3 blue on my pure armour gloves but an ideal base would be hybrid armour/energy shield for easy gem colours.

If you want more Proliferation (southbound stops pyre ring destroying corpses) and probably an easier item to obtain then go with Southbound Gloves. The extra prolif can make AoE clearing much smoother as aggro'd mob's can move into a burn without any extra input from you
Up to 16% life roll and a high resist make them decent enough without the extra armour, block or resists from a rare pair of gloves. Being a unique item it make's the possibility of corrupting Elemental Weakness Curse on Hit or other good corruption's alot easier by not having to source varying glove's and crafting block chance.

Helmet

Rare helmet with Life and resists or stats such as Dexterity is ideal

Jewels

+1% Block with 5-7% Life then resist or stat requirement are first choices. A Fire damage roll is nice or other damage such as area or plain damage is also desirable.

Leveling Information and Bandit Reward's

Level with Blade Vortex or other preferred skill's until you can equip Vortex and Flameblast in Act 3. Use a Pyre ring and Cloak of flame at the required level's (11 for pyre and 18 for CoF) or when equipping Vortex.

Equip Vortex with Chance to Ignite, Fire Penetration and Controlled Destruction for a very easy leveling setup. This will work until you gain a 5 link to add Increased Aoe on Vortex.
Equip Flameblast with Chance to Ignite, Fire Penetration and Concentrated Effect.

At this point you should have or be close to the Elemental Equilibrium node, with it allocated start using Orb of Storm's to remove 50% fire resist for a huge damage boost on your burn.
Aura's While Leveling

Clarity
Start with a Clarity aura and keep it a low level to start with. From Mid-Late game Clarity can be run with Blood Magic gem to make aura's easier to manage.

Arctic Armour
Arctic Armour can be used from Act 2, this will be used until you reach the Iron Reflexes passive node.

Grace
Grace is used only when the Iron Reflexes passive node is allocated. This aura replaces Arctic Armour, Be aware of the Dex requirement's before purchasing a high level Grace Gem.

Discipline
Discipline can be a helpful health pool buff for early game right up to end game. It can be replaced with other Utility Aura's like Purity of Element's or Herald of Lightning.

Herald of Lightning
Herald of lightning can be used for early leveling also, Using until end game is an option if you don't wish to use Discipline or just want a larger Mana pool.

Purity of Element's
Any of the Purity Aura's can be used while leveling to make gear requirement's easier to meet. Replace Discipline or Herald of Lightning or just use when required.

Bandit Information

Hardcore
Normal - Help Oak for + Life (Skill point is also viable depending on preference)
Cruel - Kill all and take skill point
Merciless - Kill all and take the skill point (+1 Endurance is also viable)

Standard
Normal - Kill All and take skill point (Helping Oak is viable for a slight health buff)
Cruel - Kill all and take skill point
Merciless - Kill all and take skill point

My Gear

Standard Gear

Hardcore Gear

Character Sheet Defenses

Character Sheet Defense's Screenshot taken in hideout

Shaper Kill Setup

For killing the Shaper I focus only on Flameblast for much higher damage. I don't use Pyre ring or Southbound glove's so Culling Strike can be used against the boss, and the cold to fire conversion isn't needed.
I use 8 Grand Spectrum Jewels for much higher damage

An alternative is to use Izaro's Turmoil jewel's and possibly dual wield Doryani's catalyst if needed.

Gear I use for the fight

Uber Lab/Atziri/Can't Be Ignited

When fighting Argus remember to use Decoy Totem and Frost Bomb whenever needed.
To Kill Argus (Haven't tested with Atziri) I have been swapping my gems in my 5/6 link Vortex setup to increase the damage of the cold ground degen. I can kill Argus in under 1 minute which I think is well worth it for the key he gives.
These are the gems I swap:
Chance to Ignite -For- Elemental Focus
Fire Penetration -For- Iron Will
Increased Area of Effect -For- Concentrated Effect
Cold to Fire -For- Empower (Or Increased Duration which is cheaper)

For killing Izaro or Other High Level Map Bosses:
When killing a hard boss I switch in my Flameblast to my 5 or 6 link for even greater single target damage. For running uber lab I generally leave flameblast in the chest piece for the whole run and use Vortex as a 4 link for killing trash mobs on the way.
These are the gems I swap:
Vortex -For- Flameblast
Increased Aoe -For- Concentrated Effect
Cold to Fire -For- Increased Burning Damage (Or Iron Will for less mana cost)

F.A.Q

Q."Can I use Hrimburn gloves instead of Pyre ring?"
A.Yes Hrimburn is an option and so are Southbound unique gloves, They will give more consistent Burn Prolif's but provide much less defensive option's than good rare glove's.

Q.Why use Pyre ring instead of Hrimburn gloves?
A.Pyre ring is available from day 1 very cheap and from level 11. Pyre ring is similiar to a rare ring with no life roll where Hrimburn gloves are much weaker then rare gloves. Rare gloves can provide a life roll, armour/ES, block chance and resist's or stats.

Q.What makes a Dark Seer sceptre a viable choice vs a Doryani's Catalyst?

A.Dark Seer is my choice for general mapping because of the Energy Shield and Mana gained on Kill. Most damage i take while general clearing is topped up by the Energy Shield gained on kill effect and generally Dark Seer has been a cheap item.

Q. "The tree is very defensive, where do you get damage?
A. Damage stacks up from multiple mechanics without heavy investment. Elemental Equilibrium -50% Fire Resist, Fire Penetration gem -37% Fire Resist, Ascendancy -25% Fire Resist and 100% Elemental Damage 40% of the time, Shock is 50% increased damage taken. Another easy source of damage would be to change from defensive curses to offensive for a huge DPS boost.

Q. What about other Ascendancy classes?
A.I haven't tested this build with other Ascendancy's, if I did I think Chieftan or one of the other witch Ascendancy's would be best suited. Occultist has the +1 Curse and extra E/S related defenses while Necromancer could allow for capped block with the offering setup.

Q. Can I use Cospri's Will as a chest piece?
A.This chest piece is Evasion/Dex based and would require a large chrome investment to make it viable. If you are willing to invest the extra cost then this may be a good alternative chest to carcass jack but I have not tried this.

Q. "Can I use Rapid Decay or Hypothermia as a 6th link for Vortex?"
A. I prefer Cold to Fire gem as it makes switching to a 6 link Flameblast easier in my opinion. Increased Burning Damage and Cold to Fire can be swapped easily between Vortex and Flameblast. Hypothermia gem can be used as a swap between Rapid Decay (which doesn't effect Flameblast) to maintain more damage for Flameblast on the condition that the mob is chilled.
IGN - @Smokntumbleweed ~ Streaming @ twitch.tv/smokintumbleweed
Ignite Vortex Build Guide - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1735563
Brain Rattler 100% Fire Build Guide - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1757390
My Loot Filter located @ bit.ly/poefilter
Last edited by SmokinTumbleWeed on Sep 20, 2018, 8:23:13 AM
Last bumped on Mar 8, 2017, 9:38:04 AM
Im thinking about to start this build but its not better as inquisitor?
"
slimq3 wrote:
Im thinking about to start this build but its not better as inquisitor?

Other Classes or Ascendancy choices can be viable but I think for consistent ignites and overall synergy the Elementalist is the best overall. It gives AoE, Penetration and Ele Prolif which are very powerful, with Elementalist the build is over 100% penetration.
Ignite Vortex Build Guide - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1735563
Brain Rattler 100% Fire Build Guide - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1757390
Can you update passive tree for softcore ? and for the uber izaro what you change?
Last edited by slimq3 on Sep 17, 2016, 12:30:42 PM
Thinking about playing this build but changing it a bit for SC. Looks very fun and reminds me of old-school burning Discharge.

One thing is that I noticed in your video that enemies still prolif'd when they died, even with the Pyre ring? Was I just seeing things wrong or do I have the wrong idea about how prolif+Pyre's corpse destruction works?
Can you post some leveling up trees?
"
Shengo wrote:
One thing is that I noticed in your video that enemies still prolif'd when they died, even with the Pyre ring? Was I just seeing things wrong or do I have the wrong idea about how prolif+Pyre's corpse destruction works?

I'm still a little confused about why the prolif work's so well myself but it is very noticeable. The build still work's fine without the prolif cluster but pack clearing seems more consistent with it.
For the league softcore you recommend the samr item you have equipped? any tip for leveling .. or just fireball to end game?
Last edited by slimq3 on Sep 17, 2016, 2:10:28 PM
"
slimq3 wrote:
For the league softcore you recommend the samr item you have equipped? any tip for leveling .. or just fireball to end game?

I have some basic leveling tips in the leveling/bandit section but pretty much run blade vortex, fireball, flame totem or other's until around level 28 when you can equip vortex and flameblast. A sceptre with fire damage is fine (cold and spell damage also a bonus) if you can obtain a Dark Seer sceptre it can be used right up until end game.
You passive tree is ultra defensive and any offensive on the tree :o?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info