[2.6] Nextguy's Magma Orb

I've never tried Magma Orb before, but this looks fun! Nextguy, what did you do to regenerate life? I don't see Warlord's Mark or any leech in your setup, which seems really dangerous against tough bosses.

Archzin's tree seems really solid. I wonder if it would be worth it to use Cospri's Will... Getting the dex would be tricky, but Warlord's Mark and Flammability all the time would be great (I hate that curses are otherwise situational).
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
"
Tempada wrote:
I've never tried Magma Orb before, but this looks fun! Nextguy, what did you do to regenerate life? I don't see Warlord's Mark or any leech in your setup, which seems really dangerous against tough bosses.

Archzin's tree seems really solid. I wonder if it would be worth it to use Cospri's Will... Getting the dex would be tricky, but Warlord's Mark and Flammability all the time would be great (I hate that curses are otherwise situational).

I think I just used flasks and had a little regen here and there. Maybe I forgot something since this was two leagues ago. If I were to do it again I would absolutely try and sneak some leech in, likely with Warlord's mark.
Magma Orb Guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1735193
Are there updates on this for 2.6? Looks like a fun build!
I'm rather new to poe, so these might sound like newb questions, please indulge me ;)

I'd like to know if you intend to update your magma orb build for 2.6 poe?
Also I noticed you are running "controlled destruction support" which lowers crit chance by 100% but you also have "elemental overload selected in your passives" which procs on crits.

Doesn't one hinder the other?

And finally, you don't use burning passive skills or gems/support. Why?
"
Solthos wrote:
Are there updates on this for 2.6? Looks like a fun build!

I posted most of my thoughts above but A MUST USE NEW UNIQUE is 2x of the new magma orb threshold jewel : Inevitability
EDIT: Updated
Last edited by nextguy on Mar 9, 2017, 8:47:02 AM
"
jonathan1107 wrote:
I'm rather new to poe, so these might sound like newb questions, please indulge me ;)

Also I noticed you are running "controlled destruction support" which lowers crit chance by 100% but you also have "elemental overload selected in your passives" which procs on crits.

I would like to update it, but I have sold all of my gear on standard. Maybe if I can try to , but no promises.
EDIT: Updated build

As for the elemental overload and controlled destruction, yes using controlled destruction does hinder it but not by too much. You only need elemental overload to proc once 8 seconds = one crit every 8 second, which is very easy with magma orb and orb of storms hitting enemies.

I don't use burn because I would have to either 1) go crit, which would mean switch to assassin, and even then magma orb only has a measly 5% base crit chance, so it would require way to much investment. The other option 2) is to invest in ignite chance which would also require a lot of point and gear investment, so much that I thought going straight elemental would be better. As I am writing this I just realized I could have used the elemental focus gem for an insane damage boost. I think i will try to update this build soon.
Last edited by nextguy on Mar 9, 2017, 8:47:24 AM
Hey im currently playing wiht your build and the new jewels and i love it. while lvling i used/ still use sire of shards cause the aoe clear is just insane so i came up with a question: why not make use of the weapon switch? sire of shards for aoe clear and a + to socket gems and slower projectile for boss encounters? i know we would give up 6 sockets for gem lvling but wouldnt it be a more smooth gameplay feeling?
"
gebboo wrote:
Hey im currently playing wiht your build and the new jewels and i love it. while lvling i used/ still use sire of shards cause the aoe clear is just insane so i came up with a question: why not make use of the weapon switch? sire of shards for aoe clear and a + to socket gems and slower projectile for boss encounters? i know we would give up 6 sockets for gem lvling but wouldnt it be a more smooth gameplay feeling?

I LOVE the concept of Sire of Shards and have been trying to make a build work with it for at least a year. This main issue with is it (other than damage) is that it leaves so many monsters around, that you end up having to cast multiple times just to clear a large pack, especially after the AOE nerfs. Having said that, with the new threshold jewels of Magma Orb AOE scaling it may be possible now, although I would think it would be worse than normal and definitely worse than it with dying sun although probably more fun. I may have to test it / create a build I theory crafted last league with it.
"
nextguy wrote:
"
jonathan1107 wrote:

I would like to update it, but I have sold all of my gear on standard. Maybe if I can try to , but no promises.
EDIT: Updated build

As for the elemental overload and controlled destruction, yes using controlled destruction does hinder it but not by too much. You only need elemental overload to proc once 8 seconds = one crit every 8 second, which is very easy with magma orb and orb of storms hitting enemies.

I don't use burn because I would have to either 1) go crit, which would mean switch to assassin, and even then magma orb only has a measly 5% base crit chance, so it would require way to much investment. The other option 2) is to invest in ignite chance which would also require a lot of point and gear investment, so much that I thought going straight elemental would be better. As I am writing this I just realized I could have used the elemental focus gem for an insane damage boost. I think i will try to update this build soon.

Thanks for the quick answer!
Being that I am new, I'm not familiar with all the concepts.

A) For instance, everytime I hear someone talk about "burning/ignite dmg" the word CRIT is mentionned in the same sentence?! Is that because burning auto-triggers when a CRIT hit happens?

B) Elemental focus shows up as a corrupt gem. Is "elemental focus" gem only obtainable Through corruption ??

C) What are your thoughts about the "sire of shards" staff (the one that casts magma orb in a frost nova style)? I'm running it right now, because someone generously gave it to me as I had no decent 6l staff weapon, and I must say it clears really good (I'm in merciless act 3 atm)

D) You are using a fire golem and a lightning golem which require the "enlightment" gem. I have no idea what that gem does specifically (even when reading on wiki, I'm not quite sure how it works) Why not use a Cold golem instead of lightning? (curiosity)

Thanks again. Very fun build for someone starting out/farming. Much less boring than "meta builds"

I am currently working on a very very similar build ^^

Glad I'm not the only one who likes to play out-of-the-box builds!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info