[Possible 3.0 Update Coming SOON!]"Dbum's Occultist Essence Drain/Decay with a F***ing Bow!"

18k DPS on Essence Drain, almost 9k ES, gear here at level 72. Name is Bruce_Regenner if you wanna inspect character :)

Spoiler

Not sure how I feel about this build yet. Was looking forward to it, and kind of feel let down a little?

Just ran Merc labs and got all keys, face tanked everything. Need to path to the 3 shield regen nodes on the right side of tree, then probably to the aura nodes on the far left to reduce reserved.

Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAMBAAMeDXwOSBB7ES8RUBGWE20UCRV-FdcYahmKGmwajxslHNwfQSLqIvQmiCj6KlMrCiy_NblJUUmxS65Sr1ZjV8lYB1xAXGtd8mKVZ_xp2GwLbRltbHC7dZ52gngvfOV88H6hf8aCx4RIhq6Hy4hCjxqPRo_6kQeTJ5uhna6hL6cIpyunm7JwtAy1SLcwuJO7Tbv8vjq-isHFwzrDbcgMytPPFdfP2VvbGt1f34rndOjW6QLquutj6-7sGO-I8NX22vfB99f5N_no-wk=?accountName=sheeeeeeets&characterName=Bruce_Regenner

Just seems kinda... slow...

Bosses die, gradually. Wither totem, dot everything, spread it, repeat. Still missing the CWDT setup and a few other gems. How important is the CWDT seeing that I get no endurance charges for IC?

Is CA clear speed better with a +3 bow?
Last edited by sheeeeeeets on Sep 19, 2016, 12:10:18 AM
"
sheeeeeeets wrote:
18k DPS on Essence Drain, almost 9k ES, gear here at level 72. Name is Bruce_Regenner if you wanna inspect character :)

Spoiler

Not sure how I feel about this build yet. Was looking forward to it, and kind of feel let down a little?

Just ran Merc labs and got all keys, face tanked everything. Need to path to the 3 shield regen nodes on the right side of tree, then probably to the aura nodes on the far left to reduce reserved.

Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAMBAAMeDXwOSBB7ES8RUBGWE20UCRV-FdcYahmKGmwajxslHNwfQSLqIvQmiCj6KlMrCiy_NblJUUmxS65Sr1ZjV8lYB1xAXGtd8mKVZ_xp2GwLbRltbHC7dZ52gngvfOV88H6hf8aCx4RIhq6Hy4hCjxqPRo_6kQeTJ5uhna6hL6cIpyunm7JwtAy1SLcwuJO7Tbv8vjq-isHFwzrDbcgMytPPFdfP2VvbGt1f34rndOjW6QLquutj6-7sGO-I8NX22vfB99f5N_no-wk=?accountName=sheeeeeeets&characterName=Bruce_Regenner

Just seems kinda... slow...

Bosses die, gradually. Wither totem, dot everything, spread it, repeat. Still missing the CWDT setup and a few other gems. How important is the CWDT seeing that I get no endurance charges for IC?

Is CA clear speed better with a +3 bow?

You really need the +1 to socketed gems on your bow. Its A LOT of damage. That's the whole point of using the bow in the first place, IMO. That and the soul strike for extra survivability.

If not you'd probably be better off using the general consuming dark ED build.

I'm sort of in the same spot as to whether or not CA is better. Most of the Occultists in the first 20 pages or so ofthe HCE league ladder are playing CA, so who knows if its better.
Single target isn't great - you can get a bit more by socketing in a poison gem (instead of pierce if you aren't using voidwalkers, or instead of rapid decay) but we don't really have the cast speed to stack poison very effectively. Mana is a bit of an issue too.
Wonder if a vaal clarity + vaal haste combo might help burn bosses down? Using vaal lightning trap atm which helps a bit. No use on izaro though.

It's ok for most stuff though, just the degen takes things down eventually, and you can just kite inbetween casts for safety (decoy totem works wonders, but means no wither totem).

With all the damage modes and levelled gems the guardians should be doable (can't poison 2 of them anyway). But think the shaper will be a no go, don't think we can kill him quickly enough.

Atziri is pretty easy - again, not sure about uber.

"
Carlovski wrote:
Single target isn't great - you can get a bit more by socketing in a poison gem (instead of pierce if you aren't using voidwalkers, or instead of rapid decay) but we don't really have the cast speed to stack poison very effectively.

If you need damage then you should try swapping to a decay bow like this. I did some testing and I found that it did a lot more damage than spellpower. It even did more damage than consuming dark when I tested it at 15k dps (I'm guessing that the poison will scale harder at the higher gear levels). In my opinion, decay is the poison of bow builds. While it doesn't stack, it makes up for that with high damage and duration, allowing you to tag T10+ bosses and essence mobs once and just walk away until they die.

The decay gets all (or at least most) of the bonuses from support gems and tree passives. It also helps with aoe clear by doing the same job of poison and killing the first mob quickly and causing the dot to spread faster. I tried adding the poison gem, however having another "more" multiplier gave a lot more damage.

I'm currently at 20k dps and T12+ bosses sometimes require a second hit to finish them off. However it still trivializes them.

I'd like to test out a voidwalker unfortunately they are 150c on PHC. I'm definitely planning on picking one up when the price drops a bit.

Anyway, try it out. Bows with essence of delirium are 4c right now so you can go and test it very cheaply.

gear

Here is the rest of my gear for reference. I'm still in the process of shuffling some things around since I got the Heretic's Veil late last night.

Last edited by Nymel on Sep 19, 2016, 5:51:39 PM
Yeah, a few of my guild are doing this.
How the hell did you get the +1 rolls too though? Or was that just luck?

I'm kind of worried that it will get nerfed, like some of the other essence effects. It's basically a level 22 ED, on top of ED.

I'd try it, but I'd need a linked one to properly try it out, just tried to grab one but he put his price up.

I've also rejigged my build a bit. Mana regen was annoying me, felt quite clunky sometimes, so I've put in clarity, and dropped discipline. Which let me drop charisma and that whole section (I was also going to ballistic mastery and primal spirit - which isn't a bad idea if you have the points). So gained a load of points,some of which went to ES to offset the loss. Basically lost 1k es, but gained a chunk of damage and sustain from regen.

Might rejig and go into templar area though, grab light of divinity, faith and steel and a jewel socket, which covers off my strength needs too.
"
Carlovski wrote:
Yeah, a few of my guild are doing this.
How the hell did you get the +1 rolls too though? Or was that just luck?

I'd try it, but I'd need a linked one to properly try it out, just tried to grab one but he put his price up.

Crafting.

1. Buy your bow
2. Use delirium on it (The decay mod is a suffix)
3. Get 2 open prefixes and an open suffx (Or get 1 open suffix and scour the prefixes)
4. Craft "cannot roll attack mods"
5. Exalt to get +1/2 bow gems or +1 gems
6. If you got +1 bow gems Exalt again

It's basically the same process as doing a +3 bow, except it's a little more complex. I happened to get the +1 bow gems so I was able to skip step 5 and save an exalt. If anyone is in HC I have a similar 5l bow I can lend for testing/sell.

You can always try it with a tabula to compare the dps. It won't include the +1 but it should still be noticeable.
"
Nymel wrote:

1. Buy your bow
2. Use delirium on it (The decay mod is a suffix)
3. Get 2 open prefixes and an open suffx (Or get 1 open suffix and scour the prefixes)
4. Craft "cannot roll attack mods"
5. Exalt to get +1/2 bow gems or +1 gems
6. If you got +1 bow gems Exalt again

Pretty sure your step number 5 would guarantee the "+1 to socketed gems" prefix 100 percent of the time. The +1/2 to socketed bow gems is considered an attack mod and wouldn't be rolled after you craft the Catarina mod on it. I was under the impression that the socketed bow gems prefix wasn't an attack mod as well, and found out about it on the previous page.
"
Nymel wrote:

I'd like to test out a voidwalker unfortunately they are 150c on PHC. I'm definitely planning on picking one up when the price drops a bit.

Just got my hands on it today, will try to make a vid in the coming days when I get some higher tier maps.
Currently sitting at 25k dps.
I just tried the Voidwalker boots and I can confirm the phasing does not work.
This has nothing to do with ED itself or anything else, but seems to be a bug.
Hope they will fix this soon...

EDIT: They're not bugged, I just assumed it would look more like Phase Run, instead you don't notice ANYTHING, besides the projectiles piercing. It'd be nice if they added a buff icon in the top left corner when the buff is active...
Last edited by Baiko on Sep 20, 2016, 6:24:51 AM
About to start working on my bow, and was hoping someone could just confirm my bow is eligible for getting the +1 gems (I'm a crafting newbie) as it sits right now.

My understanding is:

suffix (stun duration)
suffix (attack speed)
prefix (phys damage)
prefix (I think?) (spell damage)

So I'd add catarina no attack mods for a third suffix. Exalt the bow for the prefix (which leaves only +1 gems). At which point I could remove the catarina mod and add projectile speed or another suffix. Did I get that right?

I'm quite impressed with the survivability even with my junk gear. My damage is low I think, and lower than the CD version, but I've got a lot of room for improvement as well.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info