Hacked Accounts

to all those that are continuing to vent/whatever. try this:

put yourself in GGG's shoes right now... perhaps even Chris himself. now stop for a moment and ask yourself: "how must this feel".

Also try and realize the scope of everything that's happened since "you" began at GGG, a small indie company that has grown very, very fast, while you try tirelessly and diligently to keep up with it.

Now back to being yourselves:

Is it really too much to ask for you to have a little compassion, a little understanding?

i'm not asking you to agree with everything, or to even agree with anything... however considering the circumstances, is it too much to ask for you to cut them a little slack right now and wait the 24-48 hours Chris has asked us to wait and see what improvements in security are to be implemented?

At which point if you wish to continue to be __________ (pick a word that suits you), go ahead... keeping in mind the above point I made of putting yourself in their place.

ty for your time and I hope there is something in the above post that has touched you. We are all human, we, at times, make mistakes. And we need to help each other back up, not push each other back down :)
"
MonstaMunch wrote:
"
Selanmer wrote:
"
darkro90 wrote:
But looking at the other way while GGG continue to make mistakes isn't really sits well for me.

Yes. GGG made a mistake because you got hacked.. and you got hacked because you're an idi.. because you don't know how to secure yourself.

Prozon got hacked because he used an insecure email provider. He still got his character and all his stuff back.

Path of Exile has a lot of players. Most people know nothing about computers nor security. GGG can't restore 1000's idiots' accounts. They CAN restore few "important" accounts however. Streamers' and famous peoples' accounts. There are too many idiots to be helped so they have to pick the "most important ones". For this same reason Blizzard NEVER restores dead HC characters for ANY reason. Not even if it was because of Blizzard's servers lagging.

Did I really have to explain this too?
Last edited by Selanmer on Feb 21, 2013, 4:00:45 AM
"
Josephoenix wrote:
to all those that are continuing to vent/whatever. try this:

put yourself in GGG's shoes right now... perhaps even Chris himself. now stop for a moment and ask yourself: "how must this feel".

Also try and realize the scope of everything that's happened since "you" began at GGG, a small indie company that has grown very, very fast, while you try tirelessly and diligently to keep up with it.

Now back to being yourselves:

Is it really too much to ask for you to have a little compassion, a little understanding?

i'm not asking you to agree with everything, or to even agree with anything... however considering the circumstances, is it too much to ask for you to cut them a little slack right now and wait the 24-48 hours Chris has asked us to wait and see what improvements in security are to be implemented?

At which point if you wish to continue to be __________ (pick a word that suits you), go ahead... keeping in mind the above point I made of putting yourself in their place.

ty for your time and I hope there is something in the above post that has touched you. We are all human, we, at times, make mistakes. And we need to help each other back up, not push each other back down :)

The moment players turns their mindset like this is the moment where the game itself is practically doomed. Looking at the other way and showing "pity" isn't going to help at all. I know my critiques are harsh, but what else can I do to improve the game? Softly spoken feedback will only end in deaf side of their ears.

Those thing you've mentioned is currently happening at D3. Look at what mess they are right now. You want the same thing repeat in PoE too?
"
Selanmer wrote:
"
MonstaMunch wrote:
Prozon got hacked because he used an insecure email provider. He still got his character and all his stuff back.

Path of Exile has a lot of players. Most people know nothing about computers nor security. GGG can't restore 1000's idiots' accounts. They CAN restore few "important" accounts however. Streamers' and famous peoples' accounts. There are too many idiots to be helped so they have to pick the "most important ones"

Wow. Just wow. I am absolutely dumbfounded by this statement.

Edit: Sorry, was too shocked to even bother pointing out how easy it is to protect an email account from being spoofed, which invalidates your already ridiculous point.
Last edited by MonstaMunch on Feb 21, 2013, 4:10:20 AM
"
darkro90 wrote:

The moment players turns their mindset like this is the moment where the game itself is practically doomed. Looking at the other way and showing "pity" isn't going to help at all. I know my critiques are harsh, but what else can I do to improve the game? Softly spoken feedback will only end in deaf side of their ears.

Those thing you've mentioned is currently happening at D3. Look at what mess they are right now. You want the same thing repeat in PoE too?

I was in D3 from the beginning, I left July 14th 2012, and things were bad then. However, GGG is not Blizzard, they have neither the attitude nor the resources that Blizzard has.

Since I joined in July 2012, GGG has been nothing but up front with the community and they have indeed listened to us. And to be frank, they've listened more to us when we spoke to them as human beings, rather than spoke "harshly" or in an accusatory tone.

They are listening, and if you phrase a single post correctly, you need not write another one. Especially in a thread such as this. They are reading it and they are considering what the community has to offer. it is how they've done things since I've been here.

Please dark, your point has been made (as well as ALL those who have posted in this thread) and read by GGG staff and moderators.

your time is appreciated, and so are your efforts. Alas we must find a way to be "the bigger man/woman" in this case and find it in our hearts to "understand" how they feel, as I truly believe they are doing the same for us (regardless of how it may "feel" to you in the current moment).

thx again for reading :) All the best
"
Josephoenix wrote:
"
darkro90 wrote:

I was in D3 from the beginning, I left July 14th 2012, and things were bad then. However, GGG is not Blizzard, they have neither the attitude nor the resources that Blizzard has.

Since I joined in July 2012, GGG has been nothing but up front with the community and they have indeed listened to us. And to be frank, they've listened more to us when we spoke to them as human beings, rather than spoke "harshly" or in an accusatory tone.

They are listening, and if you phrase a single post correctly, you need not write another one. Especially in a thread such as this. They are reading it and they are considering what the community has to offer. it is how they've done things since I've been here.

Please dark, your point has been made (as well as ALL those who have posted in this thread) and read by GGG staff and moderators.

your time is appreciated, and so are your efforts. Alas we must find a way to be "the bigger man/woman" in this case and find it in our hearts to "understand" how they feel, as I truly believe they are doing the same for us (regardless of how it may "feel" to you in the current moment).

thx again for reading :) All the best

I appreciate the sentiment, and I'm sure the mods and devs appreciates it too. However, feels and hugs are not what we need right now. Right now, the game needs its users to be proactive. The feels can wait until we have sorted all of this out.
"
Selanmer wrote:
Sounds like you have no idea what you just said.

troll?
"
Chris wrote:

I want to be completely clear - our security has not been breached. If our database had been compromised, the accounts that attackers would target first would be the most wealthy players, the high profile streamers or the developers. Imagine how much it'd be worth to compromise my account? Kripparrian's? The top people on the ladder? These people have not lost their passwords. There has been a 0% rate of developer accounts being accessed by overseas IPs. ...

As a professional developer, I shudder to think what your database arrangement looks like, in that it allows you to assume that one entry point being compromised would represent enough of a security breach that an attacker could sift through enough information to determine who the most famous and/or most wealthy accounts are and target them specifically. And I shudder to think that your understanding of security is narrow enough to believe that they would necessarily act in such a targeted and obvious fashion even if they did have that option.
Last edited by bluelightningflik on Feb 21, 2013, 4:25:09 AM
"
darkro90 wrote:
This really get worsts as even mods and dev themselves are looking at the other way while addressing genuine concern of the users.

If the hackers true goal was to creates unrest and chaos within PoE community, then I say congratulation, because they have succeeded.

"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I’m an agent of chaos. Oh, and you know the thing about chaos? It’s fair!"
"
I shudder to think what your database arrangement looks like, in that it allows you to assume that one entry point being compromised would represent enough of a security breach that an attacker could sift through enough information to determine who the most famous and/or most wealthy accounts are and target them specifically.

I have a feeling it would be easier for a hacker to just check the public list of all the top players in the game to determine this.
Available to mediate cross-league trades and mirror services. Send me a PM here or in-game.
IGN: SpudOfDoom | The Exiled - Path Of Exile's oldest clan

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info