How come people aren't allowed to compare things to [that type of disease]?

You're not providing a link to your edited post(assuming it's yours) so we can see the context, but are you sure it's the precise word cancer that is the problem and not how you might have used it? Compare these two sentences:

1) This mechanic is harmful for the game and might even come to destroy it if left unchecked, because bla bla reasons.

2) This is fucking cancer, because bla bla reasons.

There is a subtle difference.
You won't get no glory on that side of the hole.
"
Upandatem wrote:

There is a subtle difference.

Subtle like a baseball bat to the head.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
As a German I am used to a taboo about this comparison. When someone compares humans or behaviour to cancer in german TV, it awakens assocoation to extreme right political views. That is because the german Nazis actually made a science out oft this viewpoint. They systematically murdered different groups of humans in their Euthanasieprogram. Many humans have been killed in Germany in the past, because the Nazis tried to improve the genetics of future generations. People who compare other people to cancer are considered to agree to those views to some point in Germany.
Last edited by FriendlyPikachu on Sep 2, 2016, 1:40:29 AM
Some background reading.

As someone with previous 4chan sympathies who is disgusted with what the site has become, I am saddened by how this community has used "c." The phrase, like a great many at that site, was chosen precisely because its gratuitously offensive and not generally viable for civilized discussion. Would it be cool or okay if I started calling Diamond supporters old-fs? Yet when "c" used these days, it is not only incorrectly (it is not merely a more offensive form of "shit"), but also undermines the edginess of its original subculture through overuse and softening of visceral impact.

Thus: People using the term "c" are the c which is killing "c."

And yes, of course mod should mod it.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Some background reading.

As someone with previous 4chan sympathies who is disgusted with what the site has become, I am saddened by how this community has used "c." The phrase, like a great many at that site, was chosen precisely because its gratuitously offensive and not generally viable for civilized discussion. Would it be cool or okay if I started calling Diamond supporters old-fs? Yet when "c" used these days, it is not only incorrectly (it is not merely a more offensive form of "shit"), but also undermines the edginess of its original subculture through overuse and softening of visceral impact.

Thus: People using the term "c" are the c which is killing "c."

And yes, of course mod should mod it.

Ive never been to 4chan, comparing things to cancer, aids, herpes etc is something that was being done when I was 12 years old at school before 4chan even existed. Original subculture?

"“Cancer” is an Internet slang term used to describe the percieved or actual misuse of internet memes by someone who is unfamiliar with internet culture."

pretty sure no one being moderated is using the word cancer with this definition. completely irrelevant.

Its ridiculous to mod out the word cancer, comparing something to cancer is fine, my mum has cancer, my gran died of cancer, who gives a shit? If i call something a car crash, I dont care if people have died in car crashes, has nothing to do with what Im implying, neither does some idiotic 4chan definition of 'car crash' as 'a person who is wearing pink with green in a selfie" or whatever crap they come out with over there.
while most players can live with some game changes, i'm not sure this applies to having this terminal disease.

once you have it you will not like to get remembered by people comparing every minor real world issues to your situation simply because it's not comparable.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
do you really want to take every word or concept thats potentially upsetting to someone and censor any use of them in a metaphorical sense? That doesnt work, at all, its totally ridiculous.

"
Upandatem wrote:
You're not providing a link to your edited post(assuming it's yours) so we can see the context, but are you sure it's the precise word [Removed by dudiobugtron] that is the problem and not how you might have used it?

I have never posted a post using that word, afaik. I just noticed it on a number of separate occasions from different posters. The post was left intact, but that particular word was censored.
It got to the point where if I saw the word, I took note of the thread and looked back a few hours later to see that it had been removed by support.

I really want to avoid talking about specific moderation events, so I won't link them. but you could find them yourself with a bit of digging. (Hint: look for threads with "Removed by Support" in the title.)

PS: Here is a thread where the title hasn't been moderated (I guess because it was posted a while ago?):
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1690951
So you can see what the sort of post would look like. Just an otherwise ordinary feedback post with that word in the title.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Sep 2, 2016, 8:41:43 AM
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
do you really want to take every word or concept thats potentially upsetting to someone and censor any use of them in a metaphorical sense? That doesnt work, at all, its totally ridiculous.

Yet another step towards the orwellian nightmare, if humanity ends with a whimper, freedom of speech will end with thunderous applause. People are so easy to shape its funny.
BTW Youtube went full retard as well with new ToS.
You guys've seen that shit?
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on Sep 2, 2016, 12:23:32 PM
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"“Cancer” is an Internet slang term used to describe the percieved or actual misuse of internet memes by someone who is unfamiliar with internet culture."

pretty sure no one being moderated is using the word cancer with this definition. completely irrelevant.
Exactly, minus the irrelevant part. But you acknowledge that the rise of the term was under my definition, right? And now people don't give a fuck how they use it, just use it as pure attention grab. Like I said, overuse of "c" is the c which is killing "c."
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Sep 2, 2016, 12:21:11 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info