Sony servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

How come people aren't allowed to compare things to [that type of disease]?

There's a particular type of disease that you're not allowed to mention on the PoE forums. It can be pretty horrible, and involves tumors growing in your body. It really sucks. A number of my extended family have suffered from this sort of disease.

Sometimes it can be dealt with, but other times it gets out of hand, and people die from it. I recently lost one of my close relatives to such a disease. It wasn't a quick death either, that person suffered for a year or two as tumors slowly took over their body, and parts of their body stopped working properly. I understand just how horrifically sad and grossly unfair it can be.

What I don't understand, is why it's not OK to compare things to this type of disease. If someone thinks that a particular aspect of PoE is slowly taking over the game, eating away at it and degenerating it bit-by-bit - if they think that it needs to be treated urgently otherwise the game might end up dying - why on earth can't they compare it to a type of disease that does exactly that?

Censoring the name of the disease, and not talking about it, doesn't make it go away. It doesn't make it easier to deal with. It doesn't bring people back who have died to this disease. It doesn't help anybody. So why is it censored at all?

Obviously this is not aimed at the mods themselves; I don't expect them to have to answer questions about their moderation practices. It is more aimed at the people who read the forums. I am especially interested to hear from people who can understand why people might get offended if someone compares things to this sort of disease. How does the censoring affect people in a positive way?

----------------
Important Note: In this thread, please do not talk about any specific moderation event. Please only talk about the censorship of this disease in general. If you have an issue with a particular moderation event, there are channels you can go through to deal with it.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last bumped on Sep 5, 2016, 9:51:54 AM
"
dudiobugtron wrote:

Censoring the name of the disease, and not talking about it, doesn't make it go away. It doesn't make it easier to deal with. It doesn't bring people back who have died to this disease. It doesn't help anybody. So why is it censored at all?

Wait, is this a thing that's actually happening?
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
"
Antnee wrote:
"
dudiobugtron wrote:

Wait, is this a thing that's actually happening?

I don't want to talk about a specific act of moderation. But if you start a thread comparing something in PoE to this type of disease, the name of the disease will be replaced by "Removed By Support" in square brackets.
If i were to come in to your home and call your wife a cheap prostitute and continue on and on with various insults, would you calmly sit back and say to yourself: i need to just let this guy keep talking because... free speech?

'Prostitute' and 'cheap' arent profanity. Fucking profanity isnt as bad as the general negativity some ppl ooze.

Ill tell you what; if someone invaded my space and verbally assaulted and belittled what i care about, they would never be allowed back for any reason.

Furthermore, how bad must your vocabulary be if you have to continually resort to diseases for your goto words. Pathetic.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
Last edited by SkyCore on Sep 1, 2016, 6:10:56 PM
"
SkyCore wrote:
If i were to come in to your home and call your wife a cheap prostitute and continue on and on with various insults, would you calmly sit back and say to yourself: i need to just let this guy keep talking because... free speech?

'Prostitute' and 'cheap' arent profanity. Fucking profanity isnt as bad as the general negativity some ppl ooze.

I kind of agree with you. I think your analogy is not great though.

For me, the situation is more like if you were to write a letter in the local newspaper saying that my wife was having sex with everyone for small amounts of money, and you called her a cheap prostitute, and the Newspaper published your letter but censored the word prostitute. I wouldn't be like "Wow, thanks editors you rock. Now everything's fine since you censored that word."
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Sep 1, 2016, 6:16:28 PM
"
SkyCore wrote:

Furthermore, how bad must your vocabulary be if you have to continually resort to diseases for your goto words. Pathetic.

yeah OP don't have the vocabulary to politely insult people we should help him on his sarcastic journey on internet!
It's up there as one of the dumber memes: nothing trivial (eg stuff in a video game) can remotely compare to how awful actual cancer is. Wait until you get a bit older and you will understand as the death toll of family/friends to it mounts.
cancer is like a hydra
are u like a hydra, too?
“Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.”
― Christopher Hitchens
My QoL List: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3279646
Last edited by Antigegner on Sep 1, 2016, 10:12:04 PM
OP, because of safe spaces.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info