[3.7] SC/HC - ED/Blight Trickster - Up to 10k eHP, Layered Defense, 3m DPS

Could you show us the dps number on the tooltip too?
My unbuffed DPS tooltip is 80k on ED and nearly 11k on Blight.
hi @op. great job keeping the guide and replying everyone. I've recently got back into the game, and rediscovered the joy that is playing essence drain. checked a couple of guides and shuffled thru your responses here and your style of edc fits me better.

so, since prophecy, a lot of stuff changed. https://pastebin.com/9JEBFd4A is the POB link to my current setup, and I'm playing standard because of time constraints.

I'm looking for some quick tips on improving my setup.

Thanks in advance and have a good one. Cheers!
Last edited by xuby on Oct 5, 2017, 11:37:25 PM
what would be the enchant to aim for when farming lab for this build?
When it comes to lab enchant, you should get Blight damage if you want to maximize theoretical DPS (which is relevant on some higher tier map bosses+). Other than that, Temp. Chains curse effect, Contagion AoE, Essence Drain damage are all enchants I would be happy with.

@xuby:
Your gear is set up for the old playstyle, but I also notice you have some different items available in the pastebin. I am not sure if you have the Breath of the Council or Presence of Chayula. The Presence at least is a nobrain upgrade for you. Beyond that, things can get a bit trickier. First off, I haven't really played ED as LL since 3.0 introduced Allelopothy, so I have not made up my mind whether you could invest into fitting it or not. If you can sacrifice enough supports to be able to get a full Blight setup in the gloves, it would most likely be sick.

For now, let's work with more straight forward stuff. Throw away your Consuming Dark for now. Breath of the Council or a well rolled decay dagger will both be better for you (decay weapons actually need good rolls to be better than BotC now).

I would ditch the third curse. It will free up a ring slot (you can get an unset to get closer to the Allelopathy dream), and hardly be any downgrade in terms of boss DPS. LL ED does such mental AoE damage now, that I have a hard time seeing any scenario where you actually need Vulnerability while clearing maps. If you ditch the curse, you can also drop the aura nodes you currently have, saving you a few passives. You could still keep your heretic's veil though, once again to save gem slots for Allelopathy.

I would also reconsider your flasks. Currently you are not really committed to either armour or evasion there. You also have Zealot's Oath in the tree and from Sorrow of the Divine. Swap out the unique flask for something else. If you want to get both armour and evasion from flasks, get a jade flask in this slot. If you still want a sulphur base there, I would reconsider the Stibnite, as you have next to no evasion it can scale upwards without a Jade as well.

You also focus a lot on Area of Effect in the tree. That's all good, but after the AoE changes, I would personally invest all those points into spell damage or ES instead. Witch starting nodes are up for grabs for instance. Flask nodes and the jewel socket over Witch is also a strong contender.

Since I have not yet set up my own characters for LL, I tried to make it work in PoB with yours. There are some issues with the current setup when it comes to stats and resists, but the statless unset ring should fix that. Sitting pretty close to 800k DPS on shaper with perfect play with 21/20 ED and level 4 empower on your slightly tweaked character. I do worry a bit about the cast speed, since getting max stack on both wither and blight could be tricky without swapping Swift Killer to Walk the Aether for bossing. My setup is a bit more specialized than yours. At least this should give you something to work with!

https://pastebin.com/TkeAQQxY

Edit: I had to do some theorycrafting on LL vs. MoM, and I am not really sure any more that LL is better at all. It is so extremely painful both in terms of defensive loss and currency wise to get the LL bonus and the at best 1-2k extra EHP. Even with that much more EHP, I am not sure you can tank Shaper slams or anything else that the MoM version is unable to do to begin with. MoM might simply be better - Assuming no legacy gear.
Last edited by Nedieth on Oct 6, 2017, 12:26:21 AM
Hey man,

pretty new player here and your Guide really helped me out a lot, thanks for that! I've been learning the game in HC exclusively and this character is the first that I really feel comfortable with.

In terms of shields, is there any base you would prefer over others? I'm considering trying to get a 4% spell dodge shield, since this would put my spelldodge at 55% (Perfect Form and Atziris Step). Also considering a Rathpith, although that would be pretty difficult res wise, but would introduce spell block block
Rathpith looks very good on paper, but due to our rather low block chance, I would drop it and get a rare shield. At least for me, a well rolled rare gives a lot more EHP than rathpith.

All the ES based shields are very nice (need the ES to be able to roll mana), although a well rolled evasion shield is also in the consideration if you use The Perfect Form.

This league, I was afraid that the build would be too weak without spell damage rolls on gear, so I prioritized the spell damage quite a lot. In hindsight and after getting Allelopothy, I might prioritize the starts on shields something like this:

Life
Mana
Dodge/Spell Dodge
(Block)
Spell damage
Cast speed
Overcapping Resists further

Which effectively means that I would want a hybrid ES/eva shield. It is also worth mentioning that you have more spelldodge. 30% from The Perfect Form, 16% from Atziri's Step, 5% from ascendancy, 5% from pantheons after getting hit, 10% from flasks, then with a good shield you should actually get capped.
One thing you could add to the main post of the guide is the fact that Breath of the Council's chaos skill duration bonus applies also to Arcane Surge's buff duration if it's linked to Contagion. This is the reason why I am currently going for BotC always, AS' uptime feels definitely better with BotC on, especially in boss fights. And it frees a socket in the Wither setup, since you can reach max stacks without increased duration (so you can use, for example, a Vaal Lightning Trap or an extra link of your preference like Arctic Armour, removing the need for an Unset ring).
Last edited by djnat on Oct 6, 2017, 10:27:19 AM
"
Nedieth wrote:
When it comes to lab enchant, you should get Blight damage if you want to maximize theoretical DPS (which is relevant on some higher tier map bosses+). Other than that, Temp. Chains curse effect, Contagion AoE, Essence Drain damage are all enchants I would be happy with.

@xuby:
Your gear is set up for the old playstyle, but I also notice you have some different items available in the pastebin. I am not sure if you have the Breath of the Council or Presence of Chayula. The Presence at least is a nobrain upgrade for you. Beyond that, things can get a bit trickier. First off, I haven't really played ED as LL since 3.0 introduced Allelopothy, so I have not made up my mind whether you could invest into fitting it or not. If you can sacrifice enough supports to be able to get a full Blight setup in the gloves, it would most likely be sick.

For now, let's work with more straight forward stuff. Throw away your Consuming Dark for now. Breath of the Council or a well rolled decay dagger will both be better for you (decay weapons actually need good rolls to be better than BotC now).

I would ditch the third curse. It will free up a ring slot (you can get an unset to get closer to the Allelopathy dream), and hardly be any downgrade in terms of boss DPS. LL ED does such mental AoE damage now, that I have a hard time seeing any scenario where you actually need Vulnerability while clearing maps. If you ditch the curse, you can also drop the aura nodes you currently have, saving you a few passives. You could still keep your heretic's veil though, once again to save gem slots for Allelopathy.

I would also reconsider your flasks. Currently you are not really committed to either armour or evasion there. You also have Zealot's Oath in the tree and from Sorrow of the Divine. Swap out the unique flask for something else. If you want to get both armour and evasion from flasks, get a jade flask in this slot. If you still want a sulphur base there, I would reconsider the Stibnite, as you have next to no evasion it can scale upwards without a Jade as well.

You also focus a lot on Area of Effect in the tree. That's all good, but after the AoE changes, I would personally invest all those points into spell damage or ES instead. Witch starting nodes are up for grabs for instance. Flask nodes and the jewel socket over Witch is also a strong contender.

Since I have not yet set up my own characters for LL, I tried to make it work in PoB with yours. There are some issues with the current setup when it comes to stats and resists, but the statless unset ring should fix that. Sitting pretty close to 800k DPS on shaper with perfect play with 21/20 ED and level 4 empower on your slightly tweaked character. I do worry a bit about the cast speed, since getting max stack on both wither and blight could be tricky without swapping Swift Killer to Walk the Aether for bossing. My setup is a bit more specialized than yours. At least this should give you something to work with!

https://pastebin.com/TkeAQQxY

Edit: I had to do some theorycrafting on LL vs. MoM, and I am not really sure any more that LL is better at all. It is so extremely painful both in terms of defensive loss and currency wise to get the LL bonus and the at best 1-2k extra EHP. Even with that much more EHP, I am not sure you can tank Shaper slams or anything else that the MoM version is unable to do to begin with. MoM might simply be better - Assuming no legacy gear.

thanks for the quick reply.
every single point you made was relevant, so lets go.

I have ~10ex budget to spend if I sell some stuff agressively. The BotC and Presence of Chayula are the ones I'm aiming at (~5.5ex for both), I haven't checked prices for decay weapons. already bought Allelopathy for pretty cheap.

what I dislike the most is how the blasphemy aoe got nerfed, and aoe in general for that matter. everyone hated it, so did I. vulnerability is really useless, I'm even thinking about dropping enfeeble and keeping just the temp chains for protection. temp chains, shield charge, faster attacks and fortify in Heretic's Veil. for deeps, I have a Witchfire Brew somewhere that I can use.

I know that flask play is a huge part in the game, but I'm honestly just a scrub and never cared for it. might be the time to get a bit into it.

you made a great point, LL is probably not worth it. MoM is a huge defense. it is a lot cheaper if you want to invest in. I only switched to LL because I chanced the shav's and 6linked it pretty easily, and ended up finding the Energy from Within in my standard stash. will probably switch the jewel aswell for some cast speed and damage.

will reply later when I make some adjustments to the build.

cheers!

edit: I haven't decided yet what to do with the character. for now, I'll probably just play the game. I'm not looking to be super efficient with farming and shaping and all the jazz. I'm just gonna map for a while at least
Last edited by xuby on Oct 6, 2017, 2:03:54 PM
"
djnat wrote:
One thing you could add to the main post of the guide is the fact that Breath of the Council's chaos skill duration bonus applies also to Arcane Surge's buff duration if it's linked to Contagion. This is the reason why I am currently going for BotC always, AS' uptime feels definitely better with BotC on, especially in boss fights. And it frees a socket in the Wither setup, since you can reach max stacks without increased duration (so you can use, for example, a Vaal Lightning Trap or an extra link of your preference like Arctic Armour, removing the need for an Unset ring).

Yeah, even with the baseline tree, you would get to about 25 stacks of wither if there were no cap. I still prefer to keep the inc duration instead of extra utility like Vlightning trap, as the totem dies easily in the situations where you actually need it. I was very sad about the changes to ED initially, but Allelopathy and the extreme lack of sockets that came with it quickly remedied my miscontent.

I also did notice that AS was modified by BotC after I wrote the initial bulk of text, but forgot to fit it in. BotC is all round amazing now that on hit effects are so extremely bad.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info