Cumulative Atlas Completion Bonus

Not sure I like this per say...

I see where you are going with it, and I like the idea, however my biggest issue with maps has always been sustaining them high level for more than a few runs, and if this fixes it great! But as it stands now im a bit worried, this close to release and this just now came to light?! I am left in a state of grave concern! lol

I need those higher level maps to challenge myself, otherwise I am just mindless farming yellow maps like before! Which is fine I guess, but even loaded with mods they aren't that much of a challenge once you got your gear and passives in a decent spot, at least not what you would find in a red map. And if I am not being challenged I get burnt out faster. Id really like to be able to challenge myself more frequently!

And now that you have the guardians, and a endgame boss behind red maps I find it kind of odd to not ease up on the RNG a bit so we can actually experience said content, not regularly per say but at a rate somewhat "less" similar to how frequently we can face off with Uber Izaro.

At least with Atziri I can spend a few days farming a zones to get fragments, run regular, and then build up a decent amount of uber pieces. The way you have this end-game encounter set up there is no way to get these fragments unless you are sustaining red maps, with the exception of buying which I personalty never liked paying for maps, I always felt like when the endgame is based around "maps" they should come naturally!

When I first learnt of an endgame boss being gated behind red maps I was instantly concerned at how frequently most of us will actually get to attempt the encounter, because if things stay the same as they are now on live I don't count on seeing it that often! Which is disappointing to say the least, considering I like doing Atziri runs most of all!

Last edited by justinmm1988 on Aug 29, 2016, 6:02:51 AM
"
Demonoz wrote:
"
cutt wrote:
So essentially AoW will have the same map drop system as 2.3, but instead of tier 1,2,3,4 you will be getting tier 2,3,4,5. Wow, I was so excited for this expansion but this announcement 4 days before release completely killed any hype I had for it.

This expansion was your chance to make the end-game more accessible and not be hidden by crazy amounts of RNG and currency spending to roll higher tier maps and you did nothing to address that. I've officially lost any interest in AoW. Gonna buy Legion instead, at least there devs care about accessibility of their content.

I think you need and others need to go back and reread what chris wrote again.. Slowly..
He saying they are adjusting the system so we WONT see the same map starvation we have had in the past so everyone who is completing maps will be able to climb the tiers and wont see that usual wall at around T9-11.

tl;dr

Old system had a downside (lower base drop rate). Will the new system have one too?

Perhaps it's not the speed with which you read Chris' post, but the amount you read between the lines...

GGG have been hyping players up with a promise of over 100% increased map drop rate. It's not until now, when the system has been scrapped, that they admit to a large nerf to the base drop rate that meant you would have seen less maps until you completed over 50% of the atlas.

Now with the scrapping of that system, why would they NOT scrap it's downside too? Why even mention that they are being so kind as to not nerf the drop rate, let alone mention it twice? When I hear that, my BS meter goes through the roof.

Instead, we now have a system that gives us a chance to increase the tier of a map drop. In a system that can drop maps ups to 15 tiers lower than the current map? Ok, it has potential to pay out a few higher maps. Sounds pretty cool, but possibly a bit watered down.

BUT... in the context of the previous system and what they neglected to tell people... what aren't they telling us now? Personal opinion, but this new system will have it's downside too. While they stressed that OVERALL drop rate wont be nerfed, I'd bet handsomely that the base chance to drop higher tier maps WILL be nerfed significantly. The net result, IMO, will be that we end up hitting the wall at exactly the same level as every other league.

I hope I'm wrong though as the gating of higher tier content from essentially solo self found players is pretty much the only thing that I genuinely dislike at the moment.
Let's go boys let's catch them all!
In order to get rid of clearspeed meta cap global movement speed at 100% but make all skills instant so everything feels great.
"
Spanka6663 wrote:
BUT... in the context of the previous system and what they neglected to tell people... what aren't they telling us now? Personal opinion, but this new system will have it's downside too. While they stressed that OVERALL drop rate wont be nerfed, I'd bet handsomely that the base chance to drop higher tier maps WILL be nerfed significantly. The net result, IMO, will be that we end up hitting the wall at exactly the same level as every other league.
^so much this

2hypehypehype types: just read all news post about map drops in AoW - from the start - and see how they are trying to manipulate you.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
Chris wrote:

This works really well to encourage players to play a diverse set of map types and to try rolling them to be harder than they normally would.

Chris,
If we have access to more map drops there is no reason to roll them harder, we can just run them blue at this point and sustain red tier maps. Your logic is terrible. This entire system is going to discourage player from engaging with hard content. That Also means that with more maps and the ability of choosing witch map can drop it is going to, again, discourage player from running "bad" layouts, and since the system punishes me from completing a map that i dont want included in my atlas that is going to mean that i'm going to purposely avoid every map that doesn't have a good layout.
With the current system(pre atlas) if i'm low on map i can just run a "bad" one and move on, with the atlas in place i cannot do that, i will now have to buy maps to avoid damaging the atlas itself.
If you ask me the entire design of map drops in the atlas is terrible.
Last edited by ArtaxDWhite on Aug 29, 2016, 6:28:35 AM
"
ArtaxDWhite wrote:
With the current system(pre atlas) if i'm low on map i can just run a "bad" one and move on, with the atlas in place i cannot do that, i will now have to buy maps to avoid damaging the atlas itself.
If you ask me the entire design of map drops in the atlas is terrible.
I thought you can just decide to not complete it (i.e. don't kil the boss, run it blue, run it uncorrupted), then it will not drop afterwards. Am I understanding it wrong?
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
Given how wide the pool is at T15... This is not very helpful. Most of the times you will get your T1 map upgraded to T2, which is useless. This means that this bonus is only useful At ~T10+...

So we have T1-T9 being from useless to semi-useless, and T10-T16 being nice.

This turns this 100% bonus into 6/16*1,2= 37,5% bonus, in this case. 20% bonus chance for boss to drop +1 level is so small that is arguably not worth including.

I think of it as Items are fully linked and have additional slot. While in theory in looks nice, in practice it is useless, most of the times.

Sadly, bonus in this form looks mostly useless. :/

Maybe my reasoning is wrong, but I can't see how better it is.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Why.. why for the love of crap do they persist with map starvation. This entire map system literally changes nothing since you still get the usual lower tier maps as an option in tier 15 maps. Every red tier map shouldn't drop anything except other red tier maps. Every yellow tier map shouldn't drop anything but yellow tier maps.
In fact, you should split yellow tier up into a higher and lower section, 7 to 9 and 10 to 12. THAT is progression, not what you have right now.
Vote +1 to change Path of Exile to Path of Nerfs.
We hate to say, but ProjectPT was right.
With these changes would it be too big of a change to allow map bosses to drop +4 maps instead of +2 maps if players have enough Atlas bonus. This would of course be in the limitations of completed higher tier maps as per the rules. I think it would be a very good incentive for players to specifically hunt lower tier map bosses to get higher tier maps when and if they don't manage to sustain the higher tier. In addition it would incentivize completing over 100% of the Atlas in general.

Also I assume that the point of these changes were to change the main focus of the mapping system from sustaining highest tier maps, which previously was the main challenge of mapping, to killing the Guardians and the Shaper.

I don't know how this will change my mapping behaviour but at least I assume I won't have to upgrade as many maps to higher tiers with the vendor recipe.
Asus TUF B450-PLUS GAMING - AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - ASUS GTX 1080 Ti Strix 11GB - Windows 10 Pro - 32GB DDR4 - Samsung 250GB 970 EVO SSD
"
Chris wrote:
TL;DR:
Old Atlas Bonus: 1% cumulative bonus to map drop rate per map completed (up to 123~125%). Overall map drops reduced by 33% to compensate at lower levels.

? Unless I am overlooking something, 1.25 x .67 = 82.5% map drops - so even someone who had completed a large chunk of the Atlas would be taking close to a 20% hit on the number of maps dropped.

I am glad to hear that you are likely dropping this plan, however...

What is happening to the quantity of map drops at higher levels - now, and was there a penalty originally planned for them as well?

One of the things that looked promising about completing parts of the Atlas was getting more map drops, but what was originally planned appears from this post to have been closer to a bait and switch. (It looked like a flat gain to all map drops - when there was a map drop nerf planned to go along with it).

Why does the game need to be so stingy with maps?

Don't you guys want *more* people enjoying the game rather than less?

After a few days (for those who level quickly) or a week or more (for those who level slowly) maps are the only part of the game where players can continue progressing.

I know your team is trying to improve things, but I think you need to look at the problem a bit differently.

1) Add side content areas with some leveling content that do not require maps (Act 1 could have up to a level 70 side areas, that randomly appear - more often than vaal areas, but not all the time.

2) raise your level cap to 110 and put a major clamp on the XP rise above 95, instead of 90.

I know PoE isn't a persistent world, nor a MMORPG, but it can still borrow some of the better ideas for keeping content fresh from such games - a perfect example would be Everquest.

Take a look at the zone level charts - if you have some people on the GGG team that played Everquest for awhile, ask them about their experiences with leveling up and the variety of areas.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/zlvlchart.html#Luclin

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info