So I can see Melee is STILL in the gutter with the release of the new Uniques.

Does righteous fire count as melee?

What if it applies elemental equilibrium with a melee movement skill?

Deos melee totems count as melee?
Last edited by Muldeh on Aug 25, 2016, 3:36:27 AM
No.
Yes, EE applied through any other elemental hits works.
Yes.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
It wasn't a mechanical question. What I was getting at, is since the main way spellcasting/ranged attacks are considered stronger than melee is because they are safer - due to killing most things before they can be hit by them.. does that mean that spells that only work at melee range are also under-powered in the opinions of these people?

Just curious.
"
Muldeh wrote:
It wasn't a mechanical question. What I was getting at, is since the main way spellcasting/ranged attacks are considered stronger than melee is because they are safer - due to killing most things before they can be hit by them.. does that mean that spells that only work at melee range are also under-powered in the opinions of these people?

Just curious.

You know your asking a loaded question though.

For some melee is defined by the gem system and it's tags, for others it is defined by player location vs mobs etc

Similar to how people call reave and earthquake ranged or point blank chin sol players melee.

I would put RF in melee if your not using secondary ranged support to back it up due to the play-style relative to the mobs.

I wouldn't count any totem as melee, since your location relative to the mobs is that of a ranged.(by my definition or used standards)

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Dark_Chicken wrote:
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
Eternallight wrote:
I do love my "melee" Lacerate. I mean, sure its range is the screen, but at least I have a sword.

"
My Hegemony's Era Crit Berserker could easily rival my AssReacher this league. I don't know what you're on about, melee is good.

"
FCK42 wrote:
And melee will get a pretty nice boost once that armor/eva community belt is released... onslaught while fortify seems pretty damn awesome.

"
Souleus wrote:
Melee being dead is exactly why 99% of uber lab tour guides are 1h shield juggernauts.

a refreshingly real intro to a melee sucks thread for once, maybe there is hope for the community yet.

Not one of them you quoted even has a character over 90, let alone a melee character as their highest, it looks like.

I'd like to sell you a very nice bridge that I own...

No, there is no hope for the community you just confirmed it heh.

melee is fine, people just lack creativity and rather follow some lame guide. my cheap ass lvl 93 claw dual strike char this league works perfectly fine, has good enough clear speed and can deal with any content I encountered so far. granted not tried uber atziri cos I dont have the fragments but atziri, uber lab, twinned t15 were no problem. the only 'expensive' item was cospris for 4ex... hardly an expensive build. people just love to whine...
Melee isn't a problem if you're good at the game.
"
Boem wrote:

For some melee is defined by the gem system and it's tags, for others it is defined by player location vs mobs etc

Sure, but that's exactly my point. When people say that melee is in a poor state it's hard to have a real conversation about it when everyone has different ideas about what melee actually is in this game. Like the people commenting earlier that you could play cyclone with CoC and say melee was fine.. but people have different opinions on whether that actually counts either.

You can say specific skills/gems are under/overperforming, or that there's a lack of incentive to get in and actually tank things (or not). But just broadly saying that melee is in a bad spot is never going to lead to a productive discussion, imo.
"
blubbber wrote:

melee is fine, people just lack creativity and rather follow some lame guide. my cheap ass lvl 93 claw dual strike char this league works perfectly fine, has good enough clear speed and can deal with any content I encountered so far. granted not tried uber atziri cos I dont have the fragments but atziri, uber lab, twinned t15 were no problem. the only 'expensive' item was cospris for 4ex... hardly an expensive build. people just love to whine...

Riiiight.
Looking at your build with like ~160% life increase in total I just wonder how much deaths it has. Seeing as the benchmark for melee characters demands at least 180%+ life from the tree, anything under that is a glass cannon.

Saying twinned t15 were no problem is something I can call BS on, because I actually played t15 maps (cores) with my Perandus Slayer which had 7k+ life + acro/phase acro, 10k evasion and blasphemy enfeeble with blind flask and basalt flasks, fortify on main link and over 2k life constant regen because of endless hunger.

And I was able to bring down Malachai with it in his map, but it was sketchy as fuck even with those defenses with freaking cyclone.
Trying to kill him with a namelock skill with your defenses will only end in you dying (same argument applies to Kaom and Daresso because of volcano rocks and swords in the area).

Let's not even mention the times when you kill a freaking zombie who had Volatile Blood and it 1 shots you through all the defenses I mentioned above. Brilliant.

[2.2] The Vampire - Tanky 2H Axe Slayer Duelist - /view-thread/1611662
Last edited by Mannoth on Aug 25, 2016, 7:42:31 AM
"
Muldeh wrote:
"
Boem wrote:

Sure, but that's exactly my point. When people say that melee is in a poor state it's hard to have a real conversation about it when everyone has different ideas about what melee actually is in this game. Like the people commenting earlier that you could play cyclone with CoC and say melee was fine.. but people have different opinions on whether that actually counts either.

You can say specific skills/gems are under/overperforming, or that there's a lack of incentive to get in and actually tank things (or not). But just broadly saying that melee is in a bad spot is never going to lead to a productive discussion, imo.

You mean skills that say "melee" ?
"
Muldeh wrote:
"
Boem wrote:

Its quite easy really.

Path of exile has several punishing mechanics for going close to mobs. Volatile blood, PBAOE attacks from bosses, lesser reaction time to evade, vicinity to melee mobs and thus getting hit by them vs only the ranged ones, degen areas that spawn if you stay too long in one place and force you to relocate etc.

It has exactly two mechanics that favour melee vs ranged: Far shot and the protection bubble.

So, definite disadvantage for builds to be in melee *range* vs ranged.

That is one point.

The other is the mechanical limitation of half of the melee skills. Namelocking skills are an *awful* experience to play the game. Multistrike is randomly hitting *anything* in range without rhyme or reason. Not using multistrike make namelocked skills completely unuseable. All namelocked skills require an aditional support gem to give them any sort of clearspeed (splash).

So, when people say "melee is fine, yo" they mean skills that only share the same disadvantages as, say, RF like EQ. Or they use a ranged skill that workes like a bow with less range. Or they use a ranged autotarget skill.

But some of us feel, that melee should maybe have a bit more than a choice of 4 "cleave" skills for different weapons, something that is basically stormcall that casts on self and an autotargeted lightning warp with a resource mechanic.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info