So I can see Melee is STILL in the gutter with the release of the new Uniques.

"
Mannoth wrote:
Looking at your build with like ~160% life increase in total I just wonder how much deaths it has. Seeing as the benchmark for melee characters demands at least 180%+ life from the tree, anything under that is a glass cannon.

The difference between 160% and 180% Max Life is 400 Life for his high Block + Enfeeble character; the difference between 5100 Life and 5500. That's all it takes for it to become a glass cannon, huh.

I'm not saying he is or is not a glass cannon - just that your definition is shortsighted.
(also Kaom is a pussy)
Last edited by Vipermagi on Aug 25, 2016, 8:27:09 AM
"
Mannoth wrote:

Riiiight.
Looking at your build with like ~160% life increase in total I just wonder how much deaths it has. Seeing as the benchmark for melee characters demands at least 180%+ life from the tree, anything under that is a glass cannon.

Saying twinned t15 were no problem is something I can call BS on, because I actually played t15 maps (cores) with my Perandus Slayer which had 7k+ life + acro/phase acro, 10k evasion and blasphemy enfeeble with blind flask and basalt flasks, fortify on main link and over 2k life constant regen because of endless hunger.

And I was able to bring down Malachai with it in his map, but it was sketchy as fuck even with those defenses with freaking cyclone.
Trying to kill him with a namelock skill with your defenses will only end in you dying (same argument applies to Kaom and Daresso because of volcano rocks and swords in the area).

Let's not even mention the times when you kill a freaking zombie who had Volatile Blood and it 1 shots you through all the defenses I mentioned above. Brilliant.

hahaha and I call bollocks to that narrowminded elitis crap that anything below 180% life is a glass cannon.... between enfeeble, almost max block /spell block, decent regen, very high leech, fortify (further boosted through tree), less dmg from bleeding enemies (ie all), taste of hate, basalt and excellent mobility due to high aps weapon and whirling blade it is perfectly fine with its current 5.2k life. sure, I havent tried core because it never dropped for me, but twinned kaom was a piece of piss. anything that doesn't one-shot me I can out-leech and anything that can one-shot me can easily be evaded...

plus, my tree is not exactly optimized and my gear is mostly trash with plenty more potential in it if I really cared but why bother, it is plenty fine as is and really fun to play, so yeah, melee is perfectly viable unless you have the reflexes of a potato
"
Vipermagi wrote:

The difference between 160% and 180% Max Life is 400 Life for his high Block + Enfeeble character; the difference between 5100 Life and 5500. That's all it takes for it to become a glass cannon, huh.

I'm not saying he is or is not a glass cannon - just that your definition is shortsighted.
(also Kaom is a pussy)

Volatiles care not for block, neither does detonate dead. They care only for the raw amount of life you have and anything short of 6k life is risky imo, and usually you need at least 180% and a lot of strength to hit that on a build without Kaoms.
Crits will also decimate block builds without a high enough buffer.

And I say this from experience, because I had situation when a rare would explode for 6.7k damage in t12/t13 maps and leave me alive with 200 life. I do not know if enfeeble plays a part in surviving those but I do not leave it to chance and use it anyway.

"
Blubber wrote:

hahaha and I call bollocks to that narrowminded elitis crap that anything below 180% life is a glass cannon.... between enfeeble, almost max block /spell block, decent regen, very high leech, fortify (further boosted through tree), less dmg from bleeding enemies (ie all), taste of hate, basalt and excellent mobility due to high aps weapon and whirling blade it is perfectly fine with its current 5.2k life. sure, I havent tried core because it never dropped for me, but twinned kaom was a piece of piss. anything that doesn't one-shot me I can out-leech and anything that can one-shot me can easily be evaded...

Depends on the types of mods the map had? Running a low roll Abyss or Colloseum holds no threat with those defenses, but that isn't really a testament to a build at all.
Run a harder rolled map and see how well melee and block fares without a minimum of 6k life.
[2.2] The Vampire - Tanky 2H Axe Slayer Duelist - /view-thread/1611662
Last edited by Mannoth on Aug 25, 2016, 9:10:16 AM
^enfeeble should definitely reduce the volatile blood explosion damage btw.

It reduces the main hand hit damage from which the blood explosion damage is calculated. and the chance of getting crit with enfeeble and some evasion + block is extreeeeemely low.

Mind you i have not seen his tree, but if he has the armor and crit hit reduction node he takes normal damage on crits anyway i think.(enfeeble crit reduction + the node?)

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Boem wrote:
^enfeeble should definitely reduce the volatile blood explosion damage btw.

It reduces the main hand hit damage from which the blood explosion damage is calculated. and the chance of getting crit with enfeeble and some evasion + block is extreeeeemely low.

Mind you i have not seen his tree, but if he has the armor and crit hit reduction node he takes normal damage on crits anyway i think.(enfeeble crit reduction + the node?)

Peace,

-Boem-

Pretty sure it's secondary damage though, so it goes through block / evade and dodge.
If anyone has a different experience let me know ._.
I think you can dodge or spell dodge it, though i am not 100% sure.

But enfeeble still gives a lot of base reduction to a 6500 dps blast. And that was probably a top end crit of a mob with a high main hand rating.
Though it can get really brutal once you start factoring in map mods like -max and increases to base damage etc.

Peace,

-Boem-
I do cyclone/eq Marauder almost every league because I am a masochist and enjoy melee. I would love more 2h/1h uniques to try out but Brain Rattler looks kinda lame, Mahori just seems much better for EQ. Revamp some melee skills instead of nerfing the only melee skills that work please!
"
Dorithe wrote:
I do cyclone/eq Marauder almost every league because I am a masochist and enjoy melee. I would love more 2h/1h uniques to try out but Brain Rattler looks kinda lame, Mahori just seems much better for EQ. Revamp some melee skills instead of nerfing the only melee skills that work please!

also

Spoiler
Claw skills
Spoiler
Seriously GGG, claws, $$$$ can be made here

I'm itching for some functional skills for that weapon type that isn't reave and has dual wield potential etc.

Why the fuck does "lacerate" not work with them.

Peace,

-Boem-
Make Lacerate's gem quality add bleed chance and work on claws/swords/axe/daggers would make me give it a try.
Did some research online (forum & reddit) and the general consensus is that Volatile explosions are considered as Secondary Damage.
As such block / dodge and evasion is utterly useless, and you have to have a high enough life pool to survive the hit.

I really wish they would remove this mechanic to at least give some QoL to melee players, because they seem to refuse to do anything sensible in that department and just keep buffing the bow playstyle over and over and over.
I can tolerate the lower experience gain, slower clears and the higher risk and damage intake that melee is forced to deal with compared to range, but even that doesn't seem enough so Volatile Blood has to exist for some reason.

And I stand by my benchmark that melee characters without 6k life are just begging to get 1 shot by this BS mechanic, sooner rather than later.
Last edited by Mannoth on Aug 25, 2016, 9:38:35 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info