Vault Map Reveal

Ok All the crying about backtracking and NO to the levers and stuff, they can be implemented in a way that is both satisfying and functional. Take two of the current unique maps Death and taxes and Olmecs sanctum. Olmecs transports you back to the begging after clearing each branch so the crappy backtrack walk isn't there - Good game desgin, good functionality, fun map. Death and taxes - Port in LONG STUPID walk to the end, now if there was a lever to pull to transport you there that would be great or even starting near there. Once again good design and fun map other than the stupid long walk to start it.
Dead ends in mazes inside of maps would be 100% acceptable if one of two things were implemented, either when you reach the dead end and flipped the switch, lever did the puzzle or whatever it opened up the floors, walls or whatnot with new mobs to kill on the way back, and not just resurected no loot no xp ones such as in actons nightmare (best music in game imho) Or find a wall switch and open a passage back to the begging similar to how they work in the lab.

There is also a 3rd option would be to allow us a skill like in the old old old school might and magic games where you could set a beacon point in a map and then teleport back to that spot.
I half expect Perandus to spawn in that map.
"
MaraWuti wrote:
Unpopular opinion: traps, environmental hazards, and simple puzzles are a fun and necessary addition to an otherwise bland and stale run'n'gun endgame.

Yes, as long as they don't over do it. If half the maps have lab stuff in them, the lab will no longer be special. But mixing it up by throwing some lab stuff into maps is good. I hope we see some cool new mechanics in a few maps as well.
I know that most people are just expressing their dislike of traps which is understandable, but some of the raging that's going on is embarrassing.

I get why people don't Like the idea of traps and inefficient maps and I would agree with all the salt merchants if this was a core concept they were introducing to all the new tile sets. But seriously lads this is just one map, at the very worst you will have to do this map once to get through the atlas, it might even be a side area map so you might never even have to play it.

There are some people who want endgame to be 24/7 gorge maps...... oh wait you can basically upgrade your gorge map to a T14 map now so you can actually do this if you want.
Great, can't wait

I know that most people are just expressing their dislike of traps which is understandable, but some of the raging that's going on is embarrassing.

I get why people don't Like the idea of traps and inefficient maps and I would agree with all the salt merchants if this was a core concept they were introducing to all the new tile sets. But seriously lads this is just one map, at the very worst you will have to do this map once to get through the atlas, it might even be a side area map so you might never even have to play it.

There are some people who want endgame to be 24/7 gorge maps...... oh wait you can basically upgrade your gorge map to a T14 map now so you can actually do this if you want.

Actually gorge are now T13's so you can't upgrade them at all
Ok, my first comment might have been a bit trollish, so let's talk about some of the stuff:

I am not one of the "clearspeed is everything" players. I like being able to trash mobs, but I will do that in lower tier maps just for fun anyways.

What I don't like, are maps that require backtracking. Because in the time I have to run back to a crossroad to use the other way, I can't loot, can't kill stuff, can't do anything that is fun. And I don't like that.

What are the maps generally liked by players? Tropical Island, Strand, Gorge, Mountain Ledge, Plateau, I also like Maze, Orchard, Dry Woods, Arid Lake, Dry Pensinula, the Spider ones, Underground Sea. What do all those maps have in common? Easy: No backtracking.

What are maps that I dislike? Torture Chamber, Tunnel, Dungeon, Cells, Crematorium, Waterways...

What's the main problem on those maps? Backtracking and downtime. Not because I want to speed level, but because I don't like walking simmulations.

The tileset of the map they showed us here is nice. I like it. I'm not against the use of levers in principle (although I really hate traps of any kind), but as soon as there is a lot of backtracking involved, I don't like it. It breaks the flow of combat for me.

If it would be up to me, all maps in the game would either be one way or circular with only a few niches and corners to get lost. That would be possible without being boring, because we would still have different tilesets, different mobs and different bosses with various degrees of challenge.

In one of the interviews Chris even mentioned that he is surprised how much people like ledges of any kind. Well, go figure!!!
Last edited by t_golgari on Aug 17, 2016, 8:54:32 AM
tl;dr community calls opening doors traps as if that makes any sense whatsoever.

Then proceeds with bitching about traps after utilizing the word in a wrong fashion.

Burb.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
t_golgari wrote:
What are maps that I dislike? Torture Chamber, Tunnel, Dungeon, Cells, Crematorium, Waterways...

Not like there is any real backtracking in Waterways or Cremo, lol.
"
Wiesl_1404 wrote:
Thanks for the video GGG, i would like to share some thoughts on it:

positive:
- map has a very cool theme
- you reused grafic asssets from Perandus league
- mechanics of perandus mannor reintroduced (switches, hidden doors)
- map layout looks gorgeous

negative:
- map will naturarly have low mob density because of the layout
- map can't be cleared fast through locked door mechancis (people will complain)
- map is inefficiant to run because of stated reasons above

I would like to see some extra incentive to run such a map - maybe add some random hidden treasure chambers behind hidden switches with some strongboxes and some of the old perandus boxes in it - that would be great fun.

What are you doing?? Why are you acting like a reasonable human being? This is PoE forums, dog gamn it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info