EDIT: Melee will go extinct before even getting to final 5 Atlas bosses

"
Kasapnica wrote:
"
Mannoth wrote:
If melee players took 2 hits to kill enemies and ranged took 6 smaller AoE melee skills would be competitive.

Then they will cry about bosses,dying too fast with melee,while range need to hit them 3x more and kite all the time. This ain't d2 times where people didn't care about these things.

But isn't that the point?
You are exposed to more risk as melee, therefore at least you should do more damage?

Either that or you should at least have exclusive defences compared to ranged characters. Tie back life % into melee damage nodes and downscale the insane AoE of EQ and you have a bit healthier game.

So you can at least say that there is a choice: a 5K life archer or a 8K life melee character for example...
[2.2] The Vampire - Tanky 2H Axe Slayer Duelist - /view-thread/1611662
"
Mannoth wrote:
"
Kasapnica wrote:
"
Mannoth wrote:
If melee players took 2 hits to kill enemies and ranged took 6 smaller AoE melee skills would be competitive.

Then they will cry about bosses,dying too fast with melee,while range need to hit them 3x more and kite all the time. This ain't d2 times where people didn't care about these things.

But isn't that the point?
You are exposed to more risk as melee, therefore at least you should do more damage?

Either that or you should at least have exclusive defences compared to ranged characters. Tie back life % into melee damage nodes and downscale the insane AoE of EQ and you have a bit healthier game.

So you can at least say that there is a choice: a 5K life archer or a 8K life melee character for example...

Yes i agree,i only play melees since forever,but i also know how people react to this today. I proposed an idea in a previous post,by making melee,way tougher,but then we have this AOE which again will be a problem,because EQ/sweep with way more toughness than a range buid,will be another shitstorm. The other is the risk/reward/damage you proposed,i agree as well,but people will yet again cry.
The game also doesn't utilize proximity mechanics enough. The recent attempt to tie tankiness to melee skills wasn't exactly a success and it's hard to pull it off in an open system game like this. The only thing that doesn't lie is how much time are you spending sniffing monster asses.

See battle rage skill in TL2 or the way auras function in Hellgate London.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
raics wrote:
"
Kasapnica wrote:
Well thats true,but my point was mostly about efficiency farming,not who makes more damage.And that people call anything that has AOE,not true melee. Damage can be buffed i agree,because all we got now is EQ.

We know all that, the current situation is just the way the game evolved and it can't realistically be fixed at base level anymore, we're just saying we don't like it and that it could be prevented. Because lowAoE/HighDmg can be an equally good farming option as highAoe/lowDmge, it takes work to steer a carriage, you don't just let horses go and lay back.

Try comparing bow skills in D2 with bow skills in PoE, the latter is batshit insanity, no wonder you can't compete with that.

Anyway, I'm not calling everything with an AoE fake melee and there's no reason to, melee skills should have an AoE. However, I wouldn't go beyond 20 units with it except for skills with frost blades / wild strike mechanics.

D2 density plays way bigger factor than you think,no one would play single target no matter the damage if the screen is filled with monsters.And there were hardly small aoe attacks.

If we beef up the damage there,ranges will cry that the way for boss farming is melee.
"
raics wrote:

Thats something i didn't though of,the auras were really good thing in HL.
"
Kasapnica wrote:
If we beef up the damage there, ranges will cry that the way for boss farming is melee.

It's fine to have a certain advantage in both cases, if melee had a boss kill advantage but cleared, say, 20% slower I'd say the whole thing is in a good place. Having a reason to use something is good, dunno if you noticed that nobody builds MF farmers anymore because you can get the same effect by just blasting through the area three times faster.

It contributes to character building process too, you know the way you build a char in Sacred - clearing skill and a bosskiller skill. I always thought it's a shame we don't really have that here because it would give an advantage to 2H weapons and staves on caster side, lower dps than DW and lower survivablity than a shield but a potentially stronger bosskiller. We had bow users with puncture traps for a time but it apparently isn't needed anymore.

Last edited by raics on Aug 30, 2016, 6:46:44 AM
"
raics wrote:

I am so sad Hellgate London wasn't a success.
Played it for a while but it was really badly optimized and had a few quirks but I still had fun playing it.

It also had a really interesting concept of auras as you say, wish we had those kind of buffs here.
[2.2] The Vampire - Tanky 2H Axe Slayer Duelist - /view-thread/1611662
"
Mannoth wrote:
"
raics wrote:

Played it for a while but it was really badly optimized and had a few quirks but I still had fun playing it.

It also had a really interesting concept of auras as you say, wish we had those kind of buffs here.

Mechanically the game was excellent,but the areas being like 3 and repeating all the time and horrid optimization,sealed its fate sadly.

"
raics wrote:
"
Kasapnica wrote:
If we beef up the damage there, ranges will cry that the way for boss farming is melee.

It's fine to have a certain advantage in both cases, if melee had a boss kill advantage but cleared, say, 20% slower I'd say the whole thing is in a good place. Having a reason to use something is good, dunno if you noticed that nobody builds MF farmers anymore because you can get the same effect by just blasting through the area three times faster.

It contributes to character building process too, you know the way you build a char in Sacred - clearing skill and a bosskiller skill. I always thought it's a shame we don't really have that here because it would give an advantage to 2H weapons and staves on caster side, lower dps than DW and lower survivablity than a shield but a potentially stronger bosskiller. We had bow users with puncture traps for a time but it apparently isn't needed anymore.

Indeed its fine,but for some unknown reason its not happening. Maybe we should look outside the skills/passives/ascendancy. There are many game mechanics that barely challenge ranges in this game.In fact when i think of it,massive health buff to mobs+buff to tankines of melees,would force ranges to kite while melees will be melees.
Last edited by Kasapnica on Aug 30, 2016, 6:54:43 AM
"
Mannoth wrote:

Also, it lacked polish, was buggy as hell, had a ridiculous multiplayer subscription system but it was a fun game overall. It was nice to see Borderlands succeed with the first person looter formula.

"
Kasapnica wrote:
Indeed its fine,but for some unknown reason its not happening. Maybe we should look outside the skills/passives/ascendancy. There are many game mechanics that barely challenge ranges in this game.In fact when i think of it,massive health buff to mobs+buff to tankines of melees,would force ranges to kite while melees will be melees.

Yeah, I'm sure we could theoretically have a healthy range/melee relationship where melee is indeed duking it out in close range, but it would be way too much work, sadly. I understand it can't happen but I still like to discuss it.

Last edited by raics on Aug 30, 2016, 7:06:09 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info