Hillary Clinton

Ehh, here are two links (I actually asked about this in reddit) about the subject if you are interested. I have a book as reference too but it would be too pedantic to post it.

http://www.ppge.ufrgs.br/giacomo/arquivos/eco02036/friedman-1966.pdf

http://www.centreformacroeconomics.ac.uk/pdf/Events/Slides/1510-RodrikD.pdf

The way you see engineering and science seems wrong to me (generally both things are fuzzy when it comes to applied science at least). Both things are not mutually exclusive. In my workplace there is somewhat of crossover between the two (even in my job!). Also, it's like if engineering was inferior when actually is just different, complimentary branch. Science supremacy is a dumb argument. Although this may be a little personal for me.

Honestly, it seems you are making a caricature of what actually is going on about the influence of politics (specially because economics is a fairly centrist affair compared to other social sciences that are actually more left wing, there are polls about the subject even!). People that complain about politics rather than actually disagree with the actual research are generally the ones biased, not the other way around (so conservatives' hostility to academia, at least in US, although the far left can be the same too...while whining about academia's hostility...more like projecting). It requires some intellectual honesty to navigate that minefield though. Everyone has a political bias. Even heavily ideological people can do decent work (Hayek, Friedman, Krugman, Piketty, Stiglitz and so on...). But politics is bad, m'kay? Discuss the research, don't use politics as a shortcut for criticism.

I think the whole microfoundations thing was one of the answers to that dilemma (or at least a research line). There is positive economics. There is more than just mere policy (normative economics). One deals on things how they are, and the other one deals with value statements (that would be the "control" parameters in the system). Normative stuff still matters.

About the human factor, it seems to me like any other complex/chaotic system problems, you can study it. It's mostly concern trolling when someone says that because it doesn't detail what's wrong with it anyway. Some struggle is natural.

Also, you seem to be overestimatinng the mathiness argument, Dalailama. Maths can make harder to evaluate the falsehood of a statement for a non trained person, but you use maths to add rigour and find holes in your own argument, not to confuse people. Only at the most abstract levels is possible to get away with that crap (like String Theory). Economics' math is not that obtuse. It's problematic, but not that problematic.

A science developing and finding its voice is not fortune telling, and you'd be arrogant to think so. Having additional challenges not found in other sciences doesn't mean you have fortune telling either.

PS: returning to the main topic, it seems Wikileaks is not releasing anything this week. A bluff maybe?
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Last edited by NeroNoah on Oct 2, 2016, 6:02:21 PM
"
Xavderion wrote:

And it works SO well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfJZsXGzYp0

=^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
hey guys

on thivus_succ i said some mean things about hillary clinton as a joke in global chat a few days ago that someone took a little too seriously, i would just like to publicly state that i do not condone anyone hurting her physically, nor would i ever do so myself
"Purity Ain't Free. The labyrinth of ascendency gotta be litterd with the blood of the faithful. Chitus HUSSEIN perandus is not my emperor. He is blasphemous gommunist and probably karui as well :DD. PURITY and FAITH not malachai and thaumaturgy ok. praise God" - High templar voll, circa 1333
Last edited by Gruplock on Oct 2, 2016, 9:31:53 PM
"
NeroNoah wrote:
Ehh, here are two links (I actually asked about this in reddit) about the subject if you are interested. I have a book as reference too but it would be too pedantic to post it.

http://www.ppge.ufrgs.br/giacomo/arquivos/eco02036/friedman-1966.pdf

http://www.centreformacroeconomics.ac.uk/pdf/Events/Slides/1510-RodrikD.pdf

Interesting material - both seem to have underestimate economics more than I do personally.

"
NeroNoah wrote:

The way you see engineering and science seems wrong to me

Those weren't my quotes or thoughts - they were quoted from a Nobel Prize winning economist and stated in defense of Economics as a science. (I altered a couple words here and there, because otherwise it would have been far too obvious)

"
NeroNoah wrote:

(generally both things are fuzzy when it comes to applied science at least). Both things are not mutually exclusive. In my workplace there is somewhat of crossover between the two (even in my job!).

They are intertwined. IMO - if you can use the science to engineer stuff, the science is validated. It is also why I am heavily in favor of funding more pure hard science. We will find out things that we have no idea what to do with. Engineers will put that to excellent use.

Science without engineering is like smelling the aroma coffee, but never being able to drink it.
"
NeroNoah wrote:
Also, it's like if engineering was inferior when actually is just different, complimentary branch. Science supremacy is a dumb argument. Although this may be a little personal for me.

Engineering takes more creative right brain thinking. A scientist might give us 26 new elements to work with (let's just call them A to Z) An engineer would take those 26 elements and turn them Romeo and Juliet. I don't see one profession as being more noble than the other. Again, those were the words of the economist - follow the link in that post.

"
NeroNoah wrote:
Also, you seem to be overestimatinng the mathiness argument, Dalailama.

Math is a tool, like a hammer or an ammeter.

Sometimes the math can simplify things (A friend in engineering was able to make a significant quality of life improvement for almost every person that flies just by using a fourier transform on data everyone else had been looking at for years.

Sometimes math can obfuscate things - the same friend helped fix an error on the Space Shuttle that wasn't apparent because of all the math. When he reported the problem, the experts said it wasn't possible. Then he showed them and they went to work fixing it immediately because it could have caused a catastrophic failure had it remained.

"
NeroNoah wrote:
Economics' math is not that obtuse. It's problematic, but not that problematic.

I didn't say it was - that was the Economist. A lot of economic math is very straight forward. The beauty is seeing a very simple set of numbers spark a decision that results in a very large financial return.

"
NeroNoah wrote:
A science developing and finding its voice is not fortune telling,

Agreed. Making predictions and claiming mastery of a subject without having mastered it, is the fortune telling aspect I was talking about.

"
NeroNoah wrote:
PS: returning to the main topic, it seems Wikileaks is not releasing anything this week. A bluff maybe?

I doubt that. Two alternatives come to mind:

1) A substantial threat.

2)a get out of jail free card - something along the lines of:

"Come live in the USA freely and I'll get everyone else to drop their charges - the price is you shut your mouth up about me and the DNC. It's a one time offer you won't get from anyone else. There will be no pardon attached until he end of my second term, so you don't reneg. You just have to trust me..."

Hillary may be choosing more carrots and less sticks behind the scenes.

Is it possible that in exchange for dropping any and all prosecution against her, she offered both Loretta Lynch (who was already a nominee once) and James Comey a position on the Supreme Court?

This if from quite awhile ago, but Comey has been considered for the position before:

"James B. Comey Jr., the top Bush administration official who rebelled against plans for domestic eavesdropping, is being pushed by some White House officials for inclusion on the short list of candidates to replace Supreme Court Justice David Souter, Democratic sources said.

President Barack Obama’s aides have narrowed the list of possibilities considerably, but more than a dozen candidates remain under formal consideration, the sources said.

Comey, a former federal prosecutor and deputy attorney general, is the sort of unconventional choice – someone who’s not a federal appeals court judge – that key senators and some administration officials have been urging the president to consider."

It would certainly explain why all the key Hillary aides have been granted immunity with zero prosecution or detailed follow up.

If Hillary is elected and both Comey and Lynch are nominated to the Supreme Court, we will know what likely happened.

If wikileaks has been co-opted by threat or promise, I don't think Trump will have the smoking gun connecting Hillary to many of her deeds, and thus won't get supporters to turn on Hillary. The question is whether Russia already has the same info to dish out.

Pure speculation though.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Oct 2, 2016, 9:44:33 PM
That's outlandish. I'm just going for this two:

1)It's a bluff
2)They are waiting Trump stops shitting himself (so probably it will be released after the third debate)

PS: engineering and science use both hemispheres. Again, the limits between both are fuzzy when it comes to applied science.

And the thing Friedman wrote shaped the field the next decades, so it's like old news in some way.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Last edited by NeroNoah on Oct 2, 2016, 10:50:12 PM
"
Raycheetah wrote:

Worth watching. It's too bad Trump can't run this on national television. It would be knock out any future celebrity ads.

Who would have predicted that Hollywood would be the first industry to replace all humans with robots?

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Oct 2, 2016, 10:27:28 PM
"
NeroNoah wrote:
That's outlandish. I'm just going for this two:

1)It's a bluff
2)They are waiting Trump stops shitting himself (so probably it will be released after the third debate)

The truth is often stranger than fiction. If you want outlandish "Comey, Clinton and Lynch were built and programmed on the same assembly line."

"
Xavderion wrote:

What the hell is that
anything is everything
Assange planning a video appearance:

http://heatst.com/politics/october-surprise-thwarted-wikileaks-cancels-highly-anticipated-tuesday-announcement-due-to-security-concerns/

"
UPDATED: After canceling a planned announcement in London, Wikileaks founder Julian Assange is now planning to appear via video link Tuesday morning at Wikileak’s tenth anniversary celebration in Berlin. He’s a last-minute addition to the roster of festivities taking place this week in Germany.

Prudent man. Hillary and the Oligarchs (sounds like a Thrash Metal band) have proven the lethality of their disapproval. You have to wonder what they expect Wiki to leak. They must be thrashing through tier archived copied of the deleted emails to figure out what they're gonna need to counter in the press. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
Last edited by Raycheetah on Oct 3, 2016, 8:15:02 AM
Killary about Assange: "Can't we just drone this guy?"

GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info