Hillary Clinton

"
Xavderion wrote:
Crooked Hillary called Bernouts basically basement dwellers. They're already throwing a tendie tantrum on Twitter.

Here is some context for the easily offended.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Anyone catch Hillary's Between Two Ferns? Actually pretty funny.
"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:
Anyone catch Hillary's Between Two Ferns? Actually pretty funny.

Obama's one was funnier. Here there is more shitty Clinton videos.
"
This week, audio was uncovered that revealed Mrs. Clinton mocking Bernie Sanders supporters as basement dwellers. These comments reveal the true Clinton: arrogant, contemptuous, and utterly dismissive of any and all who might oppose her quest for power.

Here is just a partial list of Clinton’s views on others:

“SUPER PREDATORS” – Hillary’s phrase used to describe young black males in America.

“TACO BOWLS” – A description of Hispanic voters by the Clinton campaign revealed via hacked DNC emails.

“BIMBOS” – Hillary’s generalization of women who claimed to have been sexually abused by her husband, Bill Clinton.

“DEPLORABLES” – Hillary Clinton’s description of tens of millions of Donald Trump supporters.

“BASEMENT DWELLERS” – This is how Hillary views Bernie Sanders supporters.

http://dcwhispers.com/hillary-clintons-own-words-super-predators-taco-bowls-bimbos-deplorables-basement-dwellers/

And yet it's TRUMP who's the bigot? =0[.]o=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
Technically you are being PC Ray. Shame.

PS: context is for pussies.
Last edited by NeroNoah on Oct 1, 2016, 7:23:07 PM
It's funny that she only speaks openly at her fundraisers. God bless the mole who leaks all of that shit.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Xavderion wrote:
It's funny that she only speaks openly at her fundraisers. God bless the mole who leaks all of that shit.

That's a dangerous biz. The last Dem mole identified died in a "robbery" in which NOTHING was taken. =0[.]o=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
NeroNoah wrote:
"
DalaiLama wrote:
The fact that I question results and claims does not mean that I am disparaging a field or science. When someone worships science and unquestionably accepts all the science they hear, they are doing themselves and science a disservice.

You disparaged a whole field calling them fortune tellers.

What if I said that one problem with economics is that it is necessarily focused on policy, rather than discovery of fundamentals? What if I said that economists don't really care much about economic data except as it applies to policies. Once you focus on policy, a lot of stuff that isn't science comes into play.

Would you say I was disparaging Economists?

Spoiler
Would those be fair perspectives for me to take ?

What if my critique of economics is that it is more vulnerable than the hard sciences to models whose validity will never be clear, because the necessity for approximation is much stronger than in the physical sciences?

Spoiler
Would that critique be an honest and open criticism or condescending?

What if I said Economics was still struggling with the challenge to combine its mathematical insights with the kinds of adjustments that are needed to make its models fit the economy’s irreducibly human element?

Spoiler
The next spoiler has the droids you are looking for

What if I were a Nobel price winning Economist saying these things? Would you still say I was disparaging economics?

Spoiler

Here's what Robert J. Shiller, a 2013 Nobel laureate in economics, is Professor of Economics at Yale University and the co-creator of the Case-Shiller Index of US house prices has to say:

https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/robert-j--shilleron-whether-he-is-a-scientist

"NEW HAVEN – I am one of the winners of this year’s Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences, which makes me acutely aware of criticism of the prize by those who claim that economics – unlike chemistry, physics, or medicine, for which Nobel Prizes are also awarded – is not a science. Are they right?

One problem with economics is that it is necessarily focused on policy, rather than discovery of fundamentals. Nobody really cares much about economic data except as a guide to policy: economic phenomena do not have the same intrinsic fascination for us as the internal resonances of the atom or the functioning of the vesicles and other organelles of a living cell. We judge economics by what it can produce. As such, economics is rather more like engineering than physics, more practical than spiritual.

There is no Nobel Prize for engineering, though there should be. True, the chemistry prize this year looks a bit like an engineering prize, because it was given to three researchers – Martin Karplus, Michael Levitt, and Arieh Warshel – “for the development of multiscale models of complex chemical systems” that underlie the computer programs that make nuclear magnetic resonance hardware work. But the Nobel Foundation is forced to look at much more such practical, applied material when it considers the economics prize.

The problem is that once we focus on economic policy, much that is not science comes into play. Politics becomes involved, and political posturing is amply rewarded by public attention. The Nobel Prize is designed to reward those who do not play tricks for attention, and who, in their sincere pursuit of the truth, might otherwise be slighted.
Why is it called a prize in “economic sciences,” rather than just “economics”? The other prizes are not awarded in the “chemical sciences” or the “physical sciences.”

Fields of endeavor that use “science” in their titles tend to be those that get masses of people emotionally involved and in which crackpots seem to have some purchase on public opinion. These fields have “science” in their names to distinguish them from their disreputable cousins.

The term political science first became popular in the late eighteenth century to distinguish it from all the partisan tracts whose purpose was to gain votes and influence rather than pursue the truth. Astronomical science was a common term in the late nineteenth century, to distinguish it from astrology and the study of ancient myths about the constellations. Hypnotic science was also used in the nineteenth century to distinguish the scientific study of hypnotism from witchcraft or religious transcendentalism.

There was a need for such terms back then, because their crackpot counterparts held much greater sway in general discourse. Scientists had to announce themselves as scientists.
In fact, even the term chemical science enjoyed some popularity in the nineteenth century – a time when the field sought to distinguish itself from alchemy and the promotion of quack nostrums. But the need to use that term to distinguish true science from the practice of imposters was already fading by the time the Nobel Prizes were launched in 1901.

Similarly, the terms astronomical science and hypnotic science mostly died out as the twentieth century progressed, perhaps because belief in the occult waned in respectable society. Yes, horoscopes still persist in popular newspapers, but they are there only for the severely scientifically challenged, or for entertainment; the idea that the stars determine our fate has lost all intellectual currency. Hence there is no longer any need for the term “astronomical science.”

Critics of “economic sciences” sometimes refer to the development of a “pseudoscience” of economics, arguing that it uses the trappings of science, like dense mathematics, but only for show. For example, in his 2004 book Fooled by Randomness, Nassim Nicholas Taleb said of economic sciences: “You can disguise charlatanism under the weight of equations, and nobody can catch you since there is no such thing as a controlled experiment.”

But physics is not without such critics, too. In his 2004 book The Trouble with Physics: The Rise of String Theory, The Fall of a Science, and What Comes Next, Lee Smolin reproached the physics profession for being seduced by beautiful and elegant theories (notably string theory) rather than those that can be tested by experimentation. Similarly, in his 2007 book Not Even Wrong: The Failure of String Theory and the Search for Unity in Physical Law, Peter Woit accused physicists of much the same sin as mathematical economists are said to commit.

My belief is that economics is somewhat more vulnerable than the physical sciences to models whose validity will never be clear, because the necessity for approximation is much stronger than in the physical sciences, especially given that the models describe people rather than magnetic resonances or fundamental particles. People can just change their minds and behave completely differently. They even have neuroses and identity problems, complex phenomena that the field of behavioral economics is finding relevant to understanding economic outcomes.

But all the mathematics in economics is not, as Taleb suggests, charlatanism. Economics has an important quantitative side, which cannot be escaped. The challenge has been to combine its mathematical insights with the kinds of adjustments that are needed to make its models fit the economy’s irreducibly human element.

The advance of behavioral economics is not fundamentally in conflict with mathematical economics, as some seem to think, though it may well be in conflict with some currently fashionable mathematical economic models. And, while economics presents its own methodological problems, the basic challenges facing researchers are not fundamentally different from those faced by researchers in other fields. As economics develops, it will broaden its repertory of methods and sources of evidence, the science will become stronger, and the charlatans will be exposed."

Spoiler
Note Shiller's use of the word -"Charlatans" - Would you, or would you not say that Charlatans was more disparaging than Fortune Tellers? Is it clearly understand that this Nobel prize winning scientist is saying that some charlatans exist within the ranks of the economists? Is it clear that it is possible to question science without disparagement?

Every science has its infancy, then learns to crawl, walk, talk and become a fully functional being. Economics isn't there yet, and the more they can rely on objective data, reproducible experiments, and falsifiable predictive models, the closer they will be to well established hard sciences.

How can we tell when a science is getting close to a mature stage? When many of its hypothesis, data and predictions can be verfied and predicted by other fields of science.
In other words, the more Economics ties in with geography, physics, psychology, political science etc, the stronger all of those sciences will be.

To assume that appraising the developmental state of a body of science is disparaging is not only foolish, but subsumes the honest inquiry of science to the mendacious cacophony of popular opinion.

The strength of science is not it's absolute certainty, but in the products of its harmonic process. Like Yin and Yang, the light of certainty must be balanced with the darkness of skepticism. Just as with the human eye, it is the contrast of light and darkness that allows us to distinguish things.

Spoiler
the next spoilered section is about symantics and debate about debate - so most likely not worth reading for most
Spoiler

"
NeroNoah wrote:
I do work with scientists. I know they are not perfect. I do not accept science unquestionably, that's just your strawman.

I never suggested that you did or do.

Read what I wrote again:
"The fact that I question results and claims does not mean that I am disparaging a field or science. When someone worships science and unquestionably accepts all the science they hear, they are doing themselves and science a disservice."

That "someone" is not a veiled assertion of "you". It is contrasting my mental habit of being both accepting and skeptical of scientific claims with the mindset of those who will not question science. There are people who honestly think, with no ill intent on their part, that anyone questioning any aspect of science is a denier and a bad person.

What **You** (not "someone") posted was this:

"Stop underestimating scientists (even those who work in those so called "soft sciences"), it makes you sound like an anti intelectual."

Other than the "Makes you..." what you posted is not in argumentative form. There is no assertion made, so there is nothing to refute. You stated your opinion that "it makes you sound like..."

If I had a PET scan of your brain while making the statement, and the appropriately trained neurological technician, we might be able to tell whether you honestly thought what you posted, or whether you just said that, but actually weren't thinking it.

Otherwise the statement of how you interpret someone else's commentary is for you and you alone to decide. You could decide that every post by Scrotie should be heard as if spoken by Elvis Presley.

The first part "Stop..." is a request (in an impolite form) from you to me. There is no attached claim to be rationally discussed for validity.

If you had you stated "Stop doing X, or the DOW industrial will drop 130 points at the opening bell next Thursday" we would have something that could be debated and discussed.

Hence, I clarified my position on scientists, with a rationale of how that position is often incorrectly interpreted. It is no more of a strawman, than your statement:

"I do work with scientists. I know they are not perfect. I do not accept science unquestionably, that's just your strawman. " is a strawman.

I never said that you said they are perfect, nor did I say that I think you think they are perfect.

Your statement of them not being perfect, is clarification of your statement on not accepting science unquestionably.

"Question to you: how precise should be economics for it to be useful? Not all field can be like, let's say, Quantum Electrodynamics on precision."

Physics has all sorts of holes. For all we know, the laws of physics apply to only 5% of the universe. The other 95% (Using NASA's numbers) of dark matter and dark energy is completely unknown, other than the fact that for all intents and purposes, it must exist.

I don't find that disconcerting in the least. Physics and Astronomy has its ups and downs, but by and large it progresses forward and becomes more productive because someone somewhere is making a lot of effort to verify or falsify a claim. The MOND theory of gravity was a great example. Proposed, analyzed, tested and dismissed.

Economists don't have the luxury of being able to experiment with economies. They don't have the tools or technology to be able to monitor financial transactions and decisions at will to compare and contrast them.

I have seen the inside of some of the things they have written about nationally, and know first hand the cognitive dissonance that exists with so much certainty based on inadequate data. That dissonance existed in the published work of several economists, and in the decisions and actions made by the people who facilitated the successes and failures that were analyzed and hypothesized about by the economists.

Neither side was being dishonest or using poor reasoning. They were just operating the best they could based on the limited information they had access to.

There are economic models based on data mining (where the model is based purely on data with no underlying theory) that have reasonably good predictive power. What is interesting is to see the discovery of the applicable theory that matches up with and supports the purely data driven model.

"
NeroNoah wrote:
You are just creating doubt without any good purpose

A lot of people's jobs have depended on my economic doubts and decisions, and with the exception of one decision two weeks after 9/11, they were all good decisions. (I pulled the trigger three weeks early on an acquisition with the result that 5% of the employees of a regional corporation lost their jobs. Had I not pulled the trigger, or delayed four weeks, everyone would have lost their jobs. Even with the gradual onslaught of post 9-11 economic demise, we were able to save 60% of the jobs and the company is still extant. The competitors all ended up going out of business completely. )

"
NeroNoah wrote:
nor evidence (you don't really make a genuine criticism,

The criticisms are genuine and about as specific as they can be without making the posts much longer (specific claims will require specific proofs)

There are a lot of things I am not permitted to say for various legal reasons. (none involving forum policy). If I could, it would make a lot of things much more clear, and cut down on the roundabout way I have to explain things without alluding to things I am not permitted to discuss.

"
NeroNoah wrote:
just mere strawmen).

*You* might be misinterpreting strawmen. Since there is nothing this one assertion is directed at, I cannot say, though I am doubtful it is valid.

"
NeroNoah wrote:
It's the same points I read frequently about the subject, and it generally goes nowhere.

My stance, even if you dislike it, is consistent, though I am willing to change it based on good evidence. So far, I haven't seen that evidence.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
DalaiLama wrote:
What if I said that one problem with economics is that it is necessarily focused on policy, rather than discovery of fundamentals? What if I said that economists don't really care much about economic data except as it applies to policies. Once you focus on policy, a lot of stuff that isn't science comes into play.

Spoiler
Would those be fair perspectives for me to take ?
That'd be no more fair than saying all environmental scientists have some underlying policy agenda.

I get that at least one economist disagrees that there is beauty in the fundamentals. But I've met at least one person - a high school economics teacher of high calibre - for whom it was clearly less engineering and more science. It clearly was a spiritual experience for him. It's a shame my teacher's attitude isn't more prevalent within the field, that there is a huge push to policy which shoves economics research out of liberal arts colleges and into business colleges.

But for this laureate to say it is necessarily that way... well, that sounds like unfounded confidence in the proposition that one is defeated before even making the attempt.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Oct 2, 2016, 3:28:32 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info