will we ever see this game go linux native?

"
tramshed wrote:
You guys are seriously overcomplicating wine from my experience.

1. emerge wine
2. emerge winetricks (this and the next step are optional if you install the dlls manually)
3. Use winetricks to install needed dlls.
4. wine PathOfExile.exe

Replace emerge with your package manager of choice. This is literally how ive been installing wine and playing POE on Gentoo for years. PlayOnLinux was a pretty janky piece of garbage last I used it, and likely the source of your problems. Another thing you "admin/developers" might want to do is read the logs, since wine has very descriptive and useful logs.

This. It's exactly what I do, too. Some people seem to think that you somehow need Winetricks (can be useful for automatic installation of some dlls or frameworks) or even PlayOnLinux (which has its advantages, granted) - but from my experience just installing wine and copying required dlls (if any) to the wine system folder is about enough.

"
Heli0nix wrote:
You don't use an hammer to cut into some wood. You use a saw.
You don't use Linux to play video games. You use Windows.

That's incredibly naive. It's not even true for Windows games, but closer to the truth, granted. There are lots of games available for Linux (or SteamOS) - so why would I want to use Windows to play them. And just recently a friend of mine actually got himself Windows 10 because he wanted to play a game that doesn't run on wine. Surprise... to get the game running on Windows 10 he had to fumble with the registry, copy dlls and some other stuff (game was Orcs must die or something similar). Good thing that Windows is so user friendly.

"
Heli0nix wrote:
Even if they make an official support who is going to handle help / informations for each distrib...

They could do it as other developers are doing it: Provide an official client for Ubuntu (seems the popular choice) or SteamOS (seems logical, since they're already on Steam with the Win client). Although there are hundreds of distributions, they are all Linux and differ less than many people believe. Usually the work to get something that runs on one distribution also runs on others without much effort. Not officially supported distributions tend to handle such stuff in their community forums.

I do agree, though, that porting to Linux would probably not increase the amount of players by that much, so other platforms such as PS4 or even Mac might be a better choice to sink our support money into. And when they've ported to PS4 or Mac (i.e. OpenGL), then porting to Linux shouldn't be that much of a problem and might eventually happen.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
People tell me that since I play SSF I can't complain if the game is too hard. I agree wholeheartedly. I made a choice to play that way, and I live with the consequences of the choice because it make the game more enjoyable for me.

Time you Linux people adopt the same philosophy. You've made a choice, because it make you feel better about your computing. You have to live with the consequences of that choice. Don't expect others to adapt to you.
"
Mikrotherion wrote:
"
Heli0nix wrote:

That's incredibly naive.

wise spoken.
Linux isnt a hammer or saw, its a working bench with a lot more possibilities than the 'windows' workbench. And the main reason why the 'windows' bench does this single task (gaming) better (or at least, seem to do so), is the missing effort into delivering (native) solutions for unixoids.

HOW should the amount of 'personal used' linux systems increase, if we're still pressed to use the old, outdated MS system to run our prefered game(s)?! There's very few other things that have no alternative and no way to make run... And: dualboot is only a halfgare compromise.

Especially now, with the break of having DX12 exclusive for WX, and the deadline on W7 in sight, ITS TIME to WAKEUP and prepare for the alternative, SOON. I abandon windows before WX, no matter what.

"
Mikrotherion wrote:
They could do it as other developers are doing it: Provide an official client for Ubuntu (seems the popular choice) or SteamOS (seems logical, since they're already on Steam with the Win client). Although there are hundreds of distributions, they are all Linux and differ less than many people believe.

Indeed.
"
Mikrotherion wrote:
I do agree, though, that porting to Linux would probably not increase the amount of players by that much

Maybe. But as said above, it could set a sign and help (maybe a lot) of people to prevent from the incapacitated shit that windows had become since w2k, peaked now in WX.
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Time you Linux people adopt the same philosophy.

The philosophy of linux is based on "you're free to find the way to make things work for you", not "accept how it is".
There are a lot of 'compatibility layers' added over time to handle 'issues' - expecially windows based ones... but on closed sources you may need to get some 'real' support, instead of just finding someone else with just more knowledge than you...
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
"
Heli0nix wrote:

It's more like a table saw versus a bandsaw. Both can be used to cut wood even though they work a bit differently. There a plenty of games for Linux; some rather big titles too (Half-Life 2, Civilization VI, Payday 2, Euro Truck Simulator 2).

"
Mikrotherion wrote:
Although there are hundreds of distributions, they are all Linux and differ less than many people believe. Usually the work to get something that runs on one distribution also runs on others without much effort. Not officially supported distributions tend to handle such stuff in their community forums.

The most common issue I think is different library versions. If a game is built for a recent distribution it might not work on an older one with older libraries. Fortunately Steam does a pretty good job of standardizing the available libraries, even when being run on a distribution other than SteamOS. In earlier times there were some minor issues with window manager interactions or crashes when Pulseaudio wasn't installed, but those have been fixed now. Valve has done a solid job of making Steam Just Work(tm) on Linux.
"
databeaver wrote:
It's more like a table saw versus a bandsaw. Both can be used to cut wood even though they work a bit differently. There a plenty of games for Linux; some rather big titles too (Half-Life 2, Civilization VI, Payday 2, Euro Truck Simulator 2).

A table saw and a bandsaw are still tools :)
I have to use Windows, Linux, and sometimes Apple products for work and honestly Linux win by far for professional use or at least what we need it for. Oh well some FreeBSD based solutions aswell but i will pass on it i don't have much knowledges with those one.

When i come back at home i seriously don't want to play using Wine i want to play on Windows. One click, game is starting, end of story.

Using Windows 10 things are clearly simple: I didn't had a single problem with video games, and i'm testing a lot of video games all weeks that's my principal hobbie. Well got some troubles with ARK: Survival Evolved but that's a specific case this games has more issues than the early ages of Skyrim.

As MikroTherion suggested they could do a dedicated Client for Ubuntu that's right, actualy it's even the only " decent " solution Editors can consider, since this Distrib is more or less the most used at Home and one the most user friendly for windows users that want to give a try to Linux.

I tried to play video games with Linux, was doing the cult of OS as lot of Linux users, watching forums, trying to figure out compatibility problems and so on but at some points i had so many issues with video games on Linux i just figured i wasted countless hours.

It's just not enough comfortable yet for that purpose. One day maybe, but better to pray for peace around the world than video games on Linux both have similar chance to happen.
Hf :)
Last edited by Heli0nix on Feb 14, 2017, 10:28:31 AM
"
Heli0nix wrote:

Simple as that. Linux is not ready for that yet it's not about GGG beeing ready or not.
Even if they make an official support who is going to handle help / informations for each distrib that could have x or y troubles ? Have you considered the amount of Linux users for personal use around the world is not even 2% of computers ? Try now to consider the amount of those users that play video games. And the one that would be interested to play path of exile regulary. You probably fall under few hundreds users if it's not less than that.

This is pure misinformation, linux can run any application just like windows, and you can develop an application that runs on any linux distro easily, all linux distros run the same programs and use the same libraries inside.

And several indie game developers said that the amount of linux users in their games is around 10%, although this percentage may change depending of the type of game and the audience the game caters to.
"
Heli0nix wrote:
"
databeaver wrote:

When i come back at home i seriously don't want to play using Wine i want to play on Windows. One click, game is starting, end of story.

This. I played GTA 3 / Vice city and other games on wine. Since i'm a linux/unix sysadmin for years now my stuff at home has to work out of the box. I don't even have linux at home, well maybe my android phone. I got a FreeBSD/Windows 10 workstation and thats it.

Maybe i try pci passthrough to a virtual machine on FreeBSD so a virtualized Windows can use my nvidia graphics card. Hmm....!

"
PAULdx wrote:
This is pure misinformation, linux can run any application just like windows, and you can develop an application that runs on any linux distro easily, all linux distros run the same programs and use the same libraries inside.

And several indie game developers said that the amount of linux users in their games is around 10%, although this percentage may change depending of the type of game and the audience the game caters to.

What the heck? Library hell it is with 10000 freaking linux distributions out there. Thats one of the main reasons i can't stand this clued together garbage operating system. Do you even know that there are different libc implementations out there? I'm doing this stuff for 15years+ and i can't see it anymore ... It's getting worse. I can't even hear that freaking "this year is the year of linux on desktop" anymore. Best thing is crap like systemd which makes things overcomplicated, when i can't even boot an installation medium on an standard pc cause it fails at boot with "can't find root device use journalctl to see log files" i want to punch poettering in his face.
Last edited by loardpcm on Feb 14, 2017, 10:53:18 AM
"
Heli0nix wrote:

Funny, that's the way my native Linux games work on Linux too. I just click play in Steam and the game starts.

I agree that getting games to work in Wine can be a PITA. I have Windows installed too for playing those games that don't have a native Linux version. But whenever a game can run natively in Linux I prefer that over Windows.

There's nothing about the Linux kernel that makes it unsuitable for gaming. The diversity of distributions makes it slightly hard to distribute games in binary form, but that's been solved by Steam for more than three years now. OpenGL is just as viable for 3D graphics as DirectX, and many major game engines can run on both.

A few years back when the Linux version of Steam was first being made, Valve did some performance benchmarking with their games on Windows and Linux. Linux actually came ahead by several percent.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info