will we ever see this game go linux native?

hi
so as far as i know there is no Linux native version of path of exile after many many years of playing this game no development (to my understanding ) has been made to make a Linux native version of this game (as in not having to use play on Linux and configuring wine) will we ever see this game native on Linux or will that never happen?
oh and another question i can run this game on Linux after i config wine go through like god knows how many sudo commands and the reconfigure wine in order to emulate windows to run it EVEN THEN i can only play it in windowed mode which is annoying as hell with a 33 inch screen
any clue if or when there gonna make this game Linux compatible?
Last bumped on Feb 14, 2017, 11:40:47 AM
Nope. Way too much effort for almost zero return. Accepting that is part of joining the Linux crowd.
Hey im_a_manatee i think here is the last official information regarding Linux (possible ) port:

"
Chris wrote:
Thoughts on an official linux port? (perhaps with vulkan?)

I would like to have an official linux port, but quite frankly our engine programmers have more important performance work to do right now! Once Path of Exile supports more than one graphics API it will be easier to add support for more. Right now we are working on having the engine support both DX9 and DX11.

Source: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1696913

I hope it will eventualy happen one day i've a really few reasons to keep using windows except PoE.

Helio
Hf :)
"
Heli0nix wrote:
Hey im_a_manatee i think here is the last official information regarding Linux (possible ) port:

"
Chris wrote:
Thoughts on an official linux port? (perhaps with vulkan?)

I would like to have an official linux port, but quite frankly our engine programmers have more important performance work to do right now! Once Path of Exile supports more than one graphics API it will be easier to add support for more. Right now we are working on having the engine support both DX9 and DX11.

Source: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1696913

I hope it will eventualy happen one day i've a really few reasons to keep using windows except PoE.

Helio

Wishful thinking, the game has now been available to most people for around 4 years and it's still yet to receive the DX11 upgrade, mainly because there is a lot of work needed to do things and a quite a bit of money....and that's the easy option, linux would require significantly more money and dev time for a tiny group of people let alone people that would pay for it.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on Jul 22, 2016, 6:26:22 PM
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
Wishful thinking, the game has now been available to most people for around 4 years and it's still yet to receive the DX11 upgrade, mainly because there is a lot of work needed to do things and a quite a bit of money....and that's the easy option, linux would require significantly more money and dev time for a tiny group of people let alone people that would pay for it.

Yup and personaly i prefer keep going on windows for PoE and see this money invested to new content / performances / anything else than a linux port at least for now.
Let's say it would still a very nice life improvement but doesn't sounds like a priority.

Sometimes i really expect this game will find some more ways to generate more funds to making it evolving faster.
Why ?

Games have a begin and an end date.
Better to exploit the maximum out of it before reaching it :)
Hf :)
I'm still waiting for PoE to go Windows native and perform well.

LOL... that's too easy to troll on.  :)   My bad.

After reading another thread about No Man's Sky and watching a few videos and seeing such butter smooth multi-player in an absolute mind blowing size of a game universe and all on PS4 video hardware it's very sad how poor single player performance is and how awful multi-player performance is in PoE.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on Jul 22, 2016, 8:32:32 PM
They could have avoided having to support DX9 and 11 by using OpenGL, no?
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
"
Arrowneous wrote:

After reading another thread about No Man's Sky and watching a few videos and seeing such butter smooth multi-player in an absolute mind blowing size of a game universe and all on PS4 video hardware it's very sad how poor single player performance is and how awful multi-player performance is in PoE.

You can't really compare a game that's as old as POE with a game that hasn't been released yet. It's easy to make it look like a game runs great in pre release footage, until it is on general release we will never actually know how well it runs..
"
markww wrote:
"
Arrowneous wrote:

You can't really compare a game that's as old as POE with a game that hasn't been released yet. It's easy to make it look like a game runs great in pre release footage, until it is on general release we will never actually know how well it runs..

It' also senseless to compare Console speccs with PC's .....
"better to simply go balls deep full retard if you gonna go retard." -Boem-

"
markww wrote:
"
Arrowneous wrote:

OK, your right. We only have to look at PoE video footage playing smoothly to know what a day and night difference playing PoE actually is. But if the point is that PoE is a decade old game in terms of it's core game engine then that right there speaks volumes as to GGG's inability to bring it up to 2016 QoP standards. I do understand that a program of this magnitude and complexity is a huge amount of software code and a huge task to keep running without crashing (I crashed out of a tier 8 map right in the middle of the end map boss fight last night) but since all games companies are in the same boat working to deliver the best title they can at the best performance the poor performance of PoE in many types of maps does indicate a major need for GGG to focus more on core engine performance improvements over adding more bling in the form of new skill visual effects to an under-powered graphics engine. Of course it's the bling that will entice new players to PoE but it's the QoP that is needed to keep them hooked for long term playing.

PoE is taking 1 step forward and then 2 steps back for some new leagues and 2 steps forward and 1 step back when other new challenge leagues are released. Prophecy was a major rework on how resources are internally managed and thus started out as a 1 step forward, 3 steps back update. I do commend GGG for getting the problems of patch 2.3.0 solved but the near 3 weeks lost to server/client latency spikes soured me completely on playing this challenge league and so I'm playing a Standard league crit Blast Rain archer until September when patch 2.4.0 is pushed out. The QoP failures are hurting GGG in the long run and if that means we need to give GGG more time to debug the next challenge league then I'm all for it. GGG set the 3 month short development time schedule themselves and it just may be too short for ensuring QoP doesn't suffer.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info