will we ever see this game go linux native?

"
Arrowneous wrote:
indicate a major need for GGG to focus more on core engine performance improvements over adding more bling in the form of new skill visual effects to an under-powered graphics engine.

Their artists likely know jack shit about 3d engine programming, just like its pretty unlikely their engine programmers are sitting around making art assets. Its like expecting the drywall guys to do the plumbing and electrical too when building a house.
HAIL SATAN!
Last edited by tramshed on Jul 23, 2016, 12:33:47 PM
"
tramshed wrote:
"
Arrowneous wrote:
indicate a major need for GGG to focus more on core engine performance improvements over adding more bling in the form of new skill visual effects to an under-powered graphics engine.

Their artists likely know jack shit about 3d engine programming. Its like expecting the drywall guys to do the plumbing and electrical too when building a house.

But those programmers with the task of making the bling work without QoP taking a hit do and they probably have to communicate all the time with the art department to keep them restrained in terms of what is technically feasible in PoE. The top core devs probably are the ones tasked with approving the big design changes and thus they have to hold the reins back on the rest of the artists to prevent QoP from crashing worse than it already is. How complicated this all is we as lowly players of their arpg will probably never know nor should we ever need to be exposed to how PoE internally functions. At the end of the day we just want a smooth playing arpg to have fun bashing a bazillion beasts.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Came back to check out if GGG has made a GNU/Linux or Android version of PoE yet...
"
im_a_manatee wrote:
hi
so as far as i know there is no Linux native version of path of exile after many many years of playing this game no development (to my understanding ) has been made to make a Linux native version of this game (as in not having to use play on Linux and configuring wine) will we ever see this game native on Linux or will that never happen?
oh and another question i can run this game on Linux after i config wine go through like god knows how many sudo commands and the reconfigure wine in order to emulate windows to run it EVEN THEN i can only play it in windowed mode which is annoying as hell with a 33 inch screen
any clue if or when there gonna make this game Linux compatible?

You make this out to be way more difficult than what it is...

sudo apt-get install wine:i386
sudo apt-get install winetricks
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:noobslab/apps
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install playonlinux
sudo apt-get clean

On Display tab in PlayOnLinux, set GLSL Support to enabled and Video memory size to whatever your GPU is.
Wine tab -> configure wine
Windows Version to your version of Windows
Graphics tab -> Set resolution to the resolution of the window you will use
Staging tab -> Enable_CSMT or disable if it doesn't work for you
Ok back to PlayOnLinux
Miscellaneous tab -> Run .exe to install Path of Exile
Run the game
When it's done downloading, exit out
Go to PlayOnLinux's PoE folder and change a few settings in production_Config.ini

[DISPLAY]
adapter_name=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
antialias_mode=0
borderless_windowed_fullscreen=true
fullscreen=false
post_processing=false
resolution_height=1000
resolution_width=1920
screen_shake=false
shadow_type=no_shadows
texture_filtering=2
texture_quality=1
vsync=false

I use Ubuntu 15.04, Play on Linux 4.2.10, and Wine 1.9.16-staging. Path of Exile runs very smooth, without a glitch with these settings. What's annoying is that you can't minimize the game, so I have to put everything on the second monitor before starting Play on Linux.

As a Linux user, you should be used to configuring your own stuff and this is very minimal configuring compared to other things Linux related.

Gameplay using the above:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNBzbhqi0w0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vTqf94KGbs
SynTrSr - Trickster Soulrend/Bane
Last edited by generaldave on Sep 1, 2016, 5:11:51 PM
"
generaldave wrote:
You make this out to be way more difficult than what it is...

sudo apt-get install wine:i386

I´ve tried... Wine crashed on me multiple times !
Stopped using Wine for now, maybe the Android version of Wine will crash less.
Just adding to the thread here.

Because lightning (the touch of god literally) happened last week, I decided to go full linux on my new rig and I am no longer able to play POE.

I thought it would be a rather trivial wine setup to get it going.

Yeah right, after 4 hours of horror and errors I just gave up. (I have been a server admin/developer on linux for years and the hoops this shit takes to get working is not worth it).

GGG can take my money again when they have a linux client.
Last edited by BitterBiped on Feb 13, 2017, 11:20:12 AM
"
BitterBiped wrote:

Because lightning (the touch of god literally) happened last week, I decided to go full linux on my new rig and I am no longer able to play POE.

Yeah right, after 4 hours of horror and errors I just gave up. (I have been a server admin/developer on linux for years and the hoops this shit takes to get working is not worth it).

I tried wine back in 2004/2005 or so ... I'm glad to hear nothing has changed when it comes to gaming on linux. Still sucks balls. I'm a Linux/Unix admin myself but on my desktop i just want that it works out of the box.

Only reliable thing is to do dualboot Windows/Linux (or in my case Windows/FreeBSD), one for gaming and one to work with.

Sad but true.
"
loardpcm wrote:
"
BitterBiped wrote:

I tried wine back in 2004/2005 or so ... I'm glad to hear nothing has changed when it comes to gaming on linux. Still sucks balls. I'm a Linux/Unix admin myself but on my desktop i just want that it works out of the box.

Only reliable thing is to do dualboot Windows/Linux (or in my case Windows/FreeBSD), one for gaming and one to work with.

Sad but true.

Linux is still like 2-5% market share, and less of that plays PoE, makes no sense for them to go out of their way to make a Linux game for a few people
You guys are seriously overcomplicating wine from my experience.

1. emerge wine
2. emerge winetricks (this and the next step are optional if you install the dlls manually)
3. Use winetricks to install needed dlls.
4. wine PathOfExile.exe

Replace emerge with your package manager of choice. This is literally how ive been installing wine and playing POE on Gentoo for years. PlayOnLinux was a pretty janky piece of garbage last I used it, and likely the source of your problems. Another thing you "admin/developers" might want to do is read the logs, since wine has very descriptive and useful logs.
HAIL SATAN!
Last edited by tramshed on Feb 13, 2017, 5:49:15 PM
You don't use an hammer to cut into some wood. You use a saw.
You don't use Linux to play video games. You use Windows.

Simple as that. Linux is not ready for that yet it's not about GGG beeing ready or not.
Even if they make an official support who is going to handle help / informations for each distrib that could have x or y troubles ? Have you considered the amount of Linux users for personal use around the world is not even 2% of computers ? Try now to consider the amount of those users that play video games. And the one that would be interested to play path of exile regulary. You probably fall under few hundreds users if it's not less than that.

I don't see how GGG could throw money trought the windows like that or i'm missing a point. Oh well they just did with Xbox One port.
Hf :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info