[feedback] bored to death

"
herflik wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
By playing it and finding that you don't find it fun, which is inherently a subjective judgement. And finding out if other people agree.

You could just as easily say it does fulfill some goals of the game by making the player feel powerful and rewarding the player for being attentive to what's happening, and there isn't an objective way of comparing the benefit from meeting some goals with the detriment from going against others.

I had lot of hope in you guys developing good game ,but the game got major flaws for me ,to major to survive in my eyes.

The most important in game is battle systems ,because be honest ,you play games like that to mopfloor with dozens of enemies for your enterteiment.
So it should look cool ,it should be diverse and player should have nice possiblity to developer his character towards his own style of masacring enemy.

This game dont give this possibility at all.
Since the 9.1 i played the game in battle system looks the same.
Mana system - annoying at start ,later can be ignored cuz it scale badly removing any limitation in casting of your skill.
Almost all skill cost mana - due to above thing ,you have no limit in using them.
No limit in casting skills - pick one ,the best one ,because there is always the best one (maybe pick two for single target and aoe) and max them. What for picking the trash skills that are weaker in game where are no cooldowns?
Cast of same skill got always same animation - due to the above ,you end up watching your character using same animation for 18923712803 hours to kill enemies ,thats not cool ,but yeah some people like watching 1 animation for infinite amount of time.

Note that i dont count buff/debuff skills ,since they are just support skills. Most important are attack skills in this type of games ,since you spam them alot.

So GGG what are you planing to do with this giant problem ,yes its giant since ask yourself ,how long player can stand casting 1-2 same skills from begining to the end of game?

Then you need to understand how HP and MP steal effect is overpowered in any game ,i mean rly in any. Its must have ,it give lot of defensive and offensive power to the character.
In game like poe where you hit tons of enemies for tons of dmg you leech more than potions give you ,and that should be never possible.

I would add new 2 stats to the game that would resolve the problem. Max HP and Max MP steal cap per spell casted (no matter if single target or aoe ,its not per target ,its per spell).
The base lets say its +1 per lvl ,you can incrase it with passives and gear. Meaning you normaly would have only 50 HP/MP resotration per spell casted on 50lvl ,though you could incrase it to like 100 with gear/skills with would be much better than around 1000 per hit now.

You need to make MP system scale well with lvl and gear ,and add more limitation to skills ,the stronger ones.
You should always pay noticable price for casting powerfull spells.
Add combos ,synergy between skills and cross skills.

I know you dont wanna add cooldowns to game ,though i dont get your logic at all.
Cooldown = limitation to skill = dont want to add.
MP = global limitation to skills = added ,though global limit is way more harder to balance and control by developer.
Sense = there is noone.
Yeah, the mana system at this point is a total non-issue, even for classes with high mana costs. Two, maybe three mana flasks with the increased recovery speed mod is more than enough to handle even skills with ~100 mana per cast.
This game still needs a lot of work. I haven't played in a while myself but I think I might start again when the next big patch comes to see what they add.

P.S. The shift key is used to capitalize a letter. It is useful for starting sentences.
Some people say they haven't enough mana, some say they have too much. Both blame the game, but they never think that they just could have built their char better...

Not so long ago, there were no open beta anywhere, games weren't patched every week. People would just adapt to the games and rethink their play, whatever problem the game had, and they were happy.

Now when something doesn't work like they want, it's the game that's wrong. This has become ridiculous. It's the game that must challenge the player, not the opposite.
If the player can't figure out what's the challenge, it's his fault, period.

I may be a bit off topic but I wanted to say that xD
Build of the week #2 : http://tinyurl.com/ce75gf4
Last edited by zriL on Jan 20, 2012, 10:43:31 AM
Which boss battles in D2 were really that difficult? Most of the time the only "strategy" you needed was chugging health pots or running away. What skills did the bosses have that actually made them a challenge? a nova? some kind of DoT? That's really all there was.

How many skills did you use on a normal basis in D2? Seems like people hate that you only use 3 or so skills in this game (I use more) but people are constantly implying that other ARPG's have this plethora of options.. that, frankly, I do not recall.

The comments about "all we do is kill things" that I hear make 0 sense to me, because that's all you ever do in a game like this.

I understand the game has flaws, and there is nothing wrong with pointing them out.. or moving on to another game if this isn't your thing.. but I feel like a lot of people have rose colored glasses on when they look at other games, and they are also expecting way to much from an indie team working on a free to play game.
"the premier Action RPG for hardcore gamers."
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
"
permaximum wrote:
The game isn't fun because animations and sounds need complete overhaul (killing mobs no fun), voiceacting and a proper story needed for the sense of why we're doing this, passive tree is a big failure, poor itemization (needs more items, set items and more affixes), no powerful skills, very poor boss battles and so many features are missing such as proper trading, grouping, PVP and its ranks.

I would be hopeful for a fun game in the release if there weren't problems with animations, sounds and the passive tree. I don't think they're gonna change. Boss battles are doubtful too.

Have any, actual, ideas?

You know they are working on the story, why is the passive tree a "failure"? what does that even mean? What kind of itemization would you prefer?

You can team if you want (no idea what you are getting at) PvP isn't in the game yet.. and at most, it's a side feature just like every other ARPG so..

What animations have problems? How would you solve them? What would make boss battles more engaging? "No powerful skills" have no idea what that means, quite a few skills seem to lay waste to enemies on a regular basis for me..
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
"
saymar wrote:

- i'm about to enter act2 @ merciless, just after few days of mindless spamming heavy strike and leaping coupple of times.

i skipped some of your legit issues that i agree with, but imo this major one is on you. there are so many different builds that promote vastly different playstyles, yet you chose to essentially spam 1 melee skill all game long? no wonder you are bored.

the game as currently constructed is still too easy, but if you search a bit further you can find very interesting builds that do promote fun gameplay.
~SotW HC Guild~

"
scorpitron wrote:
"
saymar wrote:

- i'm about to enter act2 @ merciless, just after few days of mindless spamming heavy strike and leaping coupple of times.

i skipped some of your legit issues that i agree with, but imo this major one is on you. there are so many different builds that promote vastly different playstyles, yet you chose to essentially spam 1 melee skill all game long? no wonder you are bored.

the game as currently constructed is still too easy, but if you search a bit further you can find very interesting builds that do promote fun gameplay.

I agree Scorpitron, the problem is, that a majority of players will find the path of least resistance and never stray from it. If they can kill everything in the game just by hitting one button.. they will do it, and call the game crap because of it. So, developers have to put things in place to prevent that, and actually force players to do other things. This is usually accomplished through the mana system, or cool downs or some other means.. but if those systems aren't in place, again, most players will simply spam that button until the cows come home.
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
Reading so many negative posts kinda makes me sad...

Anyways, regarding to skills I agree 100% with Scorpitron. It has a lot to do with your approach to the game. If you want more variety it's quite easy to get it.

My current witch actually needs more (gasp!) skill slots to fit everything I had planned for her. She might not be performing to her fullest potential but at least I'm having fun while playing. :)
"
tokiih wrote:
Reading so many negative posts kinda makes me sad...

Don't worry most are from idiots and trolls. It's when we see legitimate arguments against the core of the game that we should be worried that POE might be in trouble.

When posts move from 'HURR game sucks!' to 'PoE is fundamentally flawed because x, y, z. If a, b, and c could be done it may work' when a, b and c can't be done, or won't be done then things may go bad.

No signs of that though, so take the posts for the SPAM they are and only take note of legitimate feedback.

Yeah heavy strike is a very useful skill when you are a mace wielding character and whatnot, but you can take other paths that work just as well.
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?
"
permaximum wrote:
The game isn't fun because animations and sounds need complete overhaul (killing mobs no fun), voiceacting and a proper story needed for the sense of why we're doing this, passive tree is a big failure, poor itemization (needs more items, set items and more affixes), no powerful skills, very poor boss battles and so many features are missing such as proper trading, grouping, PVP and its ranks.

I would be hopeful for a fun game in the release if there weren't problems with animations, sounds and the passive tree. I don't think they're gonna change. Boss battles are doubtful too.

This, word for word. I had big, big hopes for this game. I even touted it on other websites I frequent as the spiritual successor to the Diablo franchise, over D3. If I may add to your comments:

> Killing mobs: Need better death animation. I never realized how satisfying it is killing monsters in D2 or other games. PoE, not as much.

> I'm sure the Voiceacting and story will be fleshed out later, but for now, yeah, it's lacking.

> I'm sorry, but I agree, the passive tree sucks for several reasons: Boring lot of choices with minimal reward significance to the player versus time output. When I gain that next level, I want to know it was meaningful, but just +3% attack rate. Very disappointing. On top of this, no class is clearly defined. It could be argued that D1 was exactly the same, but at least each character had a starting passive skill (which might be considered a non-passive skill in PoE) that was useful. Not to mention, I still get lost in the skill tree, and no full respecs... wow. This game has really turned back the wheel of time and thrown out all conventional RPG evolution basics.

> No powerful skills: So true. All the passives are so boring (as I said above) and honestly, not worth wasting hours of game-play just to get a 1% crushing blow... Those passives SHOULD BE ON ITEMS.... not the other way around!

> Itemization: The items themselves, I have no idea what is good and what isn't. Some of the objects I pick up seem like they should be better than others because of their graphic component, but they are worse in defense, evasion, etc. The whole item system needs an overhaul with CLEARLY DEFINED item tiers (like D2 or even Median XL has), and which class they support. I've found items that are clearly for melee, then found again and clearly for missile. No sense... none! A truly frustrating system.

> Missing features and PVP: I'm sure this will be added later, to which I'm not too worried about it yet. I'm more concerned with the other things I mentioned. The game is just simply boring - no dodge there. The reason? I believe it's the skill system. I see what GGG has done; your passives are the skills a character "naturally" has, whereas the skill gems are special, magical abilities the character cannot naturally do. Problem is, the system is a big let down. Only way to save this game is to put passives on items, make non-passives the skills you get to pick every level so you actually have a REASON TO LEVEL your character, and fix their stockade of items into realistic and comprehensible groupings so you know, this item was made for missile attackers, and it looks like crap, so it must be bad - not the other way around!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info