Heterosexual pride day?

"
DalaiLama wrote:

Even this will no longer be considered normal:

Hey, this is offensive!

We're all equal, k?
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Jul 2, 2016, 9:00:37 AM
>2016
>being straight

What are you some kind of bigot?
"
Jaille wrote:
>2016
>being straight

What are you some kind of bigot?

I tend to trigger people around me just by being a White Straight Male
"
Bars wrote:
"
DalaiLama wrote:

Hey, this is offensive!

We're all equal, k?

I don't get it. What is this graph supposed to be?
"
"
Bars wrote:
"
DalaiLama wrote:

Hey, this is offensive!

We're all equal, k?

I don't get it. What is this graph supposed to be?

It's a normal distribution curve, could apply to anything - for example, IQ test scores or athletic performance. It shows that the closer you get to the average, the more occurrences there are.

To illustrate with IQ scores, 100 is the average but the distribution is far from uniform. Most people are somewhere around the middle and the really dumb or really intelligent ones are more of an exception. You will get the same results in any field of measurable human performance, from athletic sports to reaction time, intelligence and memory. In a nutshell, most people are more or less equal, but some people are wildly different.

IQ bell curve

I assumed DalaiLama was referring to the ever-growing political correctness trend where it's considered a blasphemy to imply some people are just better at something and some others just suck at it. You know, all the idiotic motivational nonsense like 'just follow your dreams', 'everyone fails, the winners are the ones who get up' and so on (usually accompanied by uplifting stories about freaks of genetic improbability like Michael Jordan).
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Jul 3, 2016, 6:18:10 AM
Is such a graph supposed to be applicable to the current discussion?
Looks like this place went to hell after i left.

There is no hetero pride day because youre not being oppressed for being heterosexual.

/thread
"
Is such a graph supposed to be applicable to the current discussion?

It's applicable to just about everything that doesn't have a cause and effect relationship. In random samplings, the bulk of the responses (around 65%) will be clustered within one standard deviation of the median.

It's not necessarily tied to anything in particular, but it shows up so frequently in distribution patterns that it is called the "normal" curve.

If you did a random sample of PoE players and polled how many hours they played a week - the numbers would vary, but overall, they would most likely resemble a normal curve. It is a sign of randomness.

I certainly didn't post it in reference to anyone being greater or lesser than anyone else. It is meant to show that variance is a normal quality, and differences are not a sign of inequality.

As an example -The people that play PoE for more hours aren't necessarily better or worse people than those who play PoE less time during the week. One might be a streamer, and the other might spend more time with their family.

I was posting it in reference to a future mindset in which anything that isn't the way we think it should be will be offensive. A coin that is flipped and comes up heads only half the time would be defective, because people should win all the time as an example.

PoE players would all get equal time and all have equal amounts of exalts and MTXs because variances where some have more MTX, some have more high level characters etc would be offensive.

While some of this mindset is already present in society, it isn't to the point where the numbers themselves are considered to be bigots of some kind, and math is rewritten to fit the current social memes.

It was/is relevant in terms of responding to the Freedom of Speech only under qualified conditions posts in this thread.

People are oblivious to how much their thoughts and freedoms are subverted - they are like a frog being cooked as the temperature of the surrounding is slowly raised, but they just can't realize it until it is too late.

It isn't that one side or the other of any given subject is right or wrong, but that it is considered unacceptable to even think that *your* side isn't the only way.

So, the normal curve would become flat or just a giant spike of "success", or whatever the numbers were "supposed" to say to fit the social agenda.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Interesting post. It walso reminded me about PoE's build and skill balance. Most posts in the forum are written under the assumption all builds should be be more or less equally good, while in reality they resemble the bell curve: some builds and skills are terrible, most are average and some are extremely good. It's unavoidable in a game with so many possible options.

They could adjust the general player power scale, making players more or less powerful on average, and we've seen some serious shifts in that balance - from players being generally quite weak in the Awakening to players generally being quite powerful after the Ascendancy patch. But making the comparative build power graph look like something other than a normal distribution curve - I doubt it's even possible. It's also not really desirable. If all options are equal, choice is meaningless.

It's ironic that talking about PoE is offtopic for the offtopic section, but here we go. The thread's all over the place anyway.

This talk about normal distribution curves and PoE makes me want to post a thread in general discussion.
Last edited by Bars on Jul 4, 2016, 5:00:40 AM
"
DalaiLama wrote:

It's applicable to just about everything that doesn't have a cause and effect relationship. In random samplings, the bulk of the responses (around 65%) will be clustered within one standard deviation of the median.

It's not necessarily tied to anything in particular, but it shows up so frequently in distribution patterns that it is called the "normal" curve.

If you did a random sample of PoE players and polled how many hours they played a week - the numbers would vary, but overall, they would most likely resemble a normal curve. It is a sign of randomness.

I certainly didn't post it in reference to anyone being greater or lesser than anyone else. It is meant to show that variance is a normal quality, and differences are not a sign of inequality.

As an example -The people that play PoE for more hours aren't necessarily better or worse people than those who play PoE less time during the week. One might be a streamer, and the other might spend more time with their family.

I was posting it in reference to a future mindset in which anything that isn't the way we think it should be will be offensive. A coin that is flipped and comes up heads only half the time would be defective, because people should win all the time as an example.

PoE players would all get equal time and all have equal amounts of exalts and MTXs because variances where some have more MTX, some have more high level characters etc would be offensive.

While some of this mindset is already present in society, it isn't to the point where the numbers themselves are considered to be bigots of some kind, and math is rewritten to fit the current social memes.

It was/is relevant in terms of responding to the Freedom of Speech only under qualified conditions posts in this thread.

People are oblivious to how much their thoughts and freedoms are subverted - they are like a frog being cooked as the temperature of the surrounding is slowly raised, but they just can't realize it until it is too late.

It isn't that one side or the other of any given subject is right or wrong, but that it is considered unacceptable to even think that *your* side isn't the only way.

So, the normal curve would become flat or just a giant spike of "success", or whatever the numbers were "supposed" to say to fit the social agenda.

It is presumptuous to think people can't think for themselves. It is just that you don't agree with them. The bulk of the people can coerce the minority to do what they want. It is nothing new.

People forget that the constitution is just a piece of paper without people supporting it. The courts can sometimes rule that unconstitutional laws are constitutional. President can ordered and do something unconstitutional and nobody stop him. People aren't protected by the constitution but by the people. If you don't want to be cooked like a frog, the people have to agree not to cook you in the first place.
Last edited by deathflower on Jul 4, 2016, 6:52:44 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info